Ariel Castro found dead in cell.

Comments

• Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a thread recently asking whether suicide is selfish.

I think in this case it is selfish, yes.
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems a bit fishy to me. Surely he would have been on suicide watch? Reminds me of Fred West ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    This seems a bit fishy to me. Surely he would have been on suicide watch? Reminds me of Fred West ...

Every 30 minutes. The scrutiny was too intense for him...
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The women can take something away from this. They stayed strong and survived 10 years in his clutches, but when he himself was imprisoned, he couldn't last more than a bloody month. They will know now, for the rest of their lives, that they were braver and better than him. They win.

Damn coward.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We wouldn't have had to pay his "board and lodgings" anyway ..
    Oops, lol. Bit of a typo there. Still, someone would have had to pay them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I read this earlier, I didn't think "good". I thought "what a coward!". He took the easy way out. I would have preferred he serve his life sentence and experience just a little of what those women went through by being imprisoned.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »

As was said not two posts above yours, he was on protective custody and not suicide watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not exactly bad news is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    It's not exactly bad news is it?

Maybe the good news part will be he is to be thrown on a mountainside to be devoured by cayotes. :eek:
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I don't think it's good because I'm not the kind of person who can derive pleasure from the death of another human (ie;I'm nothing like Ariel). However I'm not going to be sad about it. At least now we don't have to pay his board and lodgings.

He was in America :confused:

Edit: Ignore, just noticed you realised. :)
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    tim_smith wrote: »
    I've never hear of him (honest). Name sounds familiar though, but don't care enough to Google.

Thanks for sharing :rolleyes:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never hear of him (honest). Name sounds familiar though, but don't care enough to Google.

But you clearly care enough to tell us that you don't care ..
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    He was in America :confused:

Edit: Ignore, just noticed you realised. :)
    Well actually I had just been responding to emails at work so typed 'we' instead of 'they' :o
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame. I would have liked to see what he looked like at 1,000 years old.:D
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Futurenoir wrote: »
    So, who will run Cuba, now he's gone?

Man that made me lol

Naughty post! :o

:D
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Pretty pointless posting in a thread about him then.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or even to click on the link provided in the opening post, it seems. Now that is lazy!
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in control even to the end? He decided when he wanted to die.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    He was. Read my post above.

The article says he wasn't

"The Department of Corrections released a statement saying Castro, who was housed alone in protective custody and checked on every 30 minutes, was found hanging in his cell at 9.20pm. He was not on suicide watch."
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian Huntley has attempted suicide and they managed to save him unfortunately
  • katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He imprisoned those women for years, and he could only last a few weeks, and he wasn't being raped, starved and beaten...but I guess we all knew he was a weak, poor excuse of a man. Anyway, I hope those women are moving on and rebuilding their lives with loved ones.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not good. I would have liked him to have lived to a very old age so he could have been given regular updates about how the three women he took had rebuilt their lives and gone on to be happy and have it hammered home that he didn't 'win'.

But then he was a coward in life, so it stands to reason that he'd be a coward in death.

Yeah, I actually concur with you old boy. My original statement of "Good" was me saying in a round about way that I don't care about the guy, or that he's dead.

However, I do agree with you that he took the coward's way out.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I assume that this is your attempt at humour, if it's not, and you really have
    never hear(d) of him, then you must be the only person on the planet who hasn't.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I assume that this is your attempt at humour, if it's not, and you really have
    never hear(d) of him, then you must be the only person on the planet who hasn't.

When I saw the name in the title, I thought it was Fidels son or something, it wasn't a name that I immediately associated with the kidnappings, in fact I had forgotten all about it.
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 131,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably the best thing he ever did! :D