Comments

• radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The red scaffold in the Genesis Of The Daleks
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing, 'cos I'm not hooked on Dr Who the TV series. I am hooked on the books however
  • SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I first found out about the Doctor in 2011 when I saw my first episode on BBC America. It was The Impossible Astronaut and I was hooked from the start. Who was this crazy person with the blue box and where could I get more of this. Then I found out that he isn't even the first Doctor, there have been more before him. So I start plunking down some money on iTunes and buying up the seasons 1 through 5 and I am getting a crash course in Doctor Who. Then I hear that Chris Eccleston is the 9th Doctor. That makes me realize that there is an entire universe that I have to find.

So I have slowly been watching episodes from each Doctor, getting a flavor of each one. I have found good and bad in my opinion in each one, making it hard to say that I have a favorite in the classic Doctors, but the 5th would lead the list.

Since I started my Who experience with Matt Smith, I would have to say that he is my favorite new Doctor and Clara my favorite companion as I feel that the chemistry that they have together is wonderful.
  • dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    The first television memory was a Sontaran trying to get Jon Pertwee.
  • Flash81tFlash81t Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Re runs of Dr Who on BBC in the 90's, followed up by Paul Mcgann in the '96 movie then topped off with the relaunch in '05 :-) hooked for life!

Same here, except I remember seeing some 6th doctor eps, back in the mid 80s, not lots as it clashed with the A-Team., then they changed the time slot to the mid week for the 7th doctor, an I got hooked on how cool Ace was.

I think I would have forgotten about Who after it was canceled, as although I loved the 7th and Ace,I didn't really care much for the history of the show and I think I saw it as a bit of throwaway fluff.

Then they started showing reruns of all the doctors on BBC2 in the early 90s and I really got hooked on the history of the show.

so when I heard there would be a movie in 96, I had to see it, I couldn't wait to see if it would come back, only took 9 yrs an CE got me straight back into the show.

For me their is no definitive Doctor, 7 was my doctor and I will always favour him for that, but each and everyone of them was great in their own way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Mixture of 90s and nuWho here. Being a 4 year old when it went off-air I pretty much missed the boat with the original series.

Remember growing up seeing some re-runs here and there, and regularly watched my taped-off-the-telly Cushing Invasion of Earth film, and of course the McGann film in there somewhere. All those were what made me want to tune in to the revival in 2005 and I've been hooked since. But without that it would've likely been just 'that thing I watched as a kid', rather than 'that thing I don't miss and keep spending the hard-earned on classic DVDs of'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    What a good question. I started watching in the late 70's on PBS in the states, Tom Baker obviously. I'm fairly certain it was the Daleks, followed by the Cybermen. I don't know what it is about the Daleks, but for a silly an antagonist as they are when you think about it as an adult, as a kid, they just scare the stuffing out of you.

I have to say though, when the new series started, I was pleased, but watching out of loyalty up until The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances. This story made me fall in love with Science Fiction all over again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it was:

- Tom Baker was the craziest, most compelling and downright awesome person/character I'd ever seen on telly (I was about 5 years old)

- the theme tune was awesome

- the Daleks were scary as heck

- I'd never seen anything like it. It left a real (positive) mark only psyche!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Started watching Eccleston as a child and hooked ever since - though I did take a break from Matt Smith. There's just no shows out there that give to me what doctor who gives to me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I've been watching from a small child and the earliest episodes I remember watching are from The Sea Devils. What caught me and it's something that I miss in the new series is the cliffhangers.

I always remember being left amazed at the end of each episode and just had to watch again the following week to see what happened. That's also how i got into shows like The Tommorrow People, Lost in Space etc.

I wish Doctor Who would make use of the cliffhanger again and maybe do them how Lost in Space and Quantum Leap did them. We could see the start of the following story at the end of an episode which would end on a cliffhanger and pick up that story next week.

The best example I can use would be the pre title scenes from The Unquiet Dead. That would have been great to have seen that at the end of The End of the World leaving us all waiting to see what it was all about next week.
  • bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    The very first episode.

I am a golden oldie.

:)
    Me too. Was lying on the floor watching episode 1 and captivated as an 8 year old. They repeated it folowing weekend due to Kennedy assassination...stood by it all through and will be at Excel next weekend.Gawd knows what partner will make of it (he's a newbie lol)....
  • Wiwik_AnggrainiWiwik_Anggraini Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Mat's first Christmas ep. Before that time I watched Doctor Who but wouldn't call myself a fan. As a matter of fact, I only started to call myself a Whovian when I revisited my teenage love for Star Trek TNG, which was last summer. But got hooked in series 6....of all series.
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first two series of the 2005 re-launch, but more as a casual viewer, to the extent that when I started Uni I didn't even bother watching the Tennant/Martha series.

Then I just happen to fall upon 'The Silence in the Library' two parter on iPlayer, and realised, hang on, this programme is brilliant, so went back and watched Series 3 and fell in love with 'Blink'.

But my current level of obsession started around the time Matt Smith took over the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I Remember The Green Death, Slugs In A Mine Very Scary
  • krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    For me, it's a cross between Pertwee's 'Planet of the Daleks', (as it's the first episode I ever saw) and all of Tom Baker's episodes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I've watched for as long as I can remember. I remember the late period of Tom Baker with Romana, so I guess that I must have been three at the time. The first story that I really remember however was the brilliant Keeper of Traken.

I kept watching until about the end of the Colin Baker era when I felt that I had outgrown Who :o In a fit of nostalgia at about the age of 18 I got a couple of Tom Baker era videos for my birthday and rediscovered why I love the series in the first place.

Now I watch with my three year old who will happily watch any Who from Tenth Planet to Dalek. He does especially seem to like Earthshock and the David Tennant era however.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I remembering correctly that the McCoy era was shown on weeknights?

I remember the cat people and Kandyman, and bizarrely that Ace lived in Perivale :D
  • MiahMiah Posts: 3,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember what I think was Genesis of the Daleks: I'm sure that was my first story. I must have been about 2 years old and I was terrified of Davros, petrified of the Daleks and frightened by Tom Baker! Every time I saw a Dalek I grabbed a cushion and yes, hid behind the sofa. I remember saying 'Daddy, have they gone?' and my dad always lied: they were still on screen, exterminating away! Should have sued him for childhood trauma! :p

I loved the companions. I wanted to be tough like Leela, glamorous like Romana 1 and clever like Nyssa. Unfortunately, I grew up to be cowardly, inellegant and thick as a brick. But nevermind! :D

My favourite story was Keeper of Traken. I thought it was beautiful, and it turned me from a casual viewer into a fan.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode the Long Game, made me start watching every episode thereafter.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    Tom Baker, 'my' Doctor from when I was a nipper. Always watched, right to the end of the 'Classic' series

And then hearing Chris Eccleston (who was marvellous in, well EVERYTHING) was doing the reboot. And RTD was writing it. And it didn't piss on my childhood :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I watched the tv movie with paul mcgann. Sadly it didnt lead to more. But from Rose onwards I was hooked. My wee boy is 5 and he loves the Matt Smith era since the pandorica opens
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Tom Baker. 1975. (i was 5, the optimum age to get freaked out)
  • saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Primary School teacher I started watching to keep up with all the chatter about in class.
    Began with the repeats of series one on Watch. Borrowed the box set of series 3 from one of my pupils and watched the lot in one weekend. By then was completely hooked.
    Started properly live with series 4 and gradually watched the rest of new Who in the right order.
    From that time on I then drove my class mad knowing more about the episodes than they did!
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was robot mad as an infant and so when aged 4 and the first episode of Robot was transmitted in 1975, that was it, I was within it's grasp and to my dying day.
    I have vague memories of Pertwee's last series but it took the K1 'Giant' Robot and equally important, the first set of the Weetabix cards to cement a life-long love for the programme.
    It wasn't until episodes of Whodunnit were being shown on ITV the following year that I suddenly realised that the Doctor I was watching wasn't the original one I had been introduced to! :D
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was robot mad as an infant and so when aged 4 and the first episode of Robot was transmitted in 1975, that was it, I was within it's grasp and to my dying day.
    I have vague memories of Pertwee's last series but it took the K1 'Giant' Robot and equally important, the first set of the Weetabix cards to cement a life-long love for the programme.
    It wasn't until episodes of Whodunnit were being shown on ITV the following year that I suddenly realised that the Doctor I was watching wasn't the original one I had been introduced to! :D

This is like I'm reading about my own childhood, right down to seeing Jon Pertwee present Whodunnit :D