Options

Technically good but Artem & Natalie leave me cold

Comments

• Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the music this week and last week so it colours my enjoyment of their dance .
  • Options
    alimyleralimyler Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    I watch Strictly to see people who can't dance LEARN to dance and improve. That is why I cannot take to this partnership. She was too good to improve much.
  • Options
    Pices-55Pices-55 Posts: 18,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it is funny that this excuse is constantly used for Natalie (just like last week). Other contestants get savaged on their performance, but with Natalie it is only due to the music???

Really:confused:I loved the music last week for their Charleston but last nights was awful, and the choice of poor music for at least some of the dances each week seems to have been a very busy topic all series for all contestants.
  • Options
    *Laura**Laura* Posts: 45,152
    Forum Member
    For the second week in a row I was disappointed with N&A. I thought there was too much "faffing" around at the beginning and I didn't like the end. I went back and looked at A&J's tango and that is a mesmerizing tango, no "smoke and mirrors" just two people dancing as if no-one was watching. A&J danced as one whereas N&A just danced with each other (if you get what I mean). I forgave their nonsensical excuse for a VW but, last night's tango felt like a week 4 routine with Artem adding faff in order to lose steps. We all know Natalie can dance and I would really like to see her do more of it.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't like Artem at all.
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Pices-55 wrote: »
    Really:confused:I loved the music last week for their Charleston but last nights was awful, and the choice of poor music for at least some of the dances each week seems to have been a very busy topic all series for all contestants.

People let the music get in the way too much. Personally, I watch most routines (at least for a part) on mute as you can't hide lacklustre dancing without the music as a veil (for better or worse).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the last two weeks I have been really disappointed after Natalie and Artems dance but then have re watched them and found them to be technically excellent and very cleverly choreographed. They have been completely let down by the music. When watching dancing it is the music which generates a large part of the emotional response. After all, dance is really just the physical expression of a piece of music.

I do not believe in conspiracy theories but I do believe that the producers try to create a narrative for the competitors. If it is true that the producers select the music then perhaps the poor choices have been deliberate. After the last two weeks there must have been people everywhere saying 'well, that was very clever but for me something was missing'. So then their next step will be to give Natalie and Artem a wonderful piece of music which enhances rather than detracts from the dance and there you will have it - Natalie and Artems transformative moment!

As an admirer of Artem I only hope this theory is true because I would love to see them perform a superb dance to an emotive piece of music, fingers crossed.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lateone wrote: »
    Carrie Ann Inaba had nothing but good things to say about him when their relationship ended. But don't let facts get in the way of your opinion when rubbishing someone.

Quite.
    Spin turn wrote: »
    Hmmm the music was rubbish, I agree, but I don't think that fully explains it.

It does imo, with a proper musical track that had musical phrasing for them to dance to, it would have been a much more powerful performance because the choreography was very good and Natalie performed it well.
    The music absolutely spoiled that tango as it was a single droning monotony which had no tempo changes with which to emphasise the different styles in the tango - the sharp staccato movements and the lyrical more waltz like elements.
    Yes, it is funny that this excuse is constantly used for Natalie (just like last week). Other contestants get savaged on their performance, but with Natalie it is only due to the music???

I'm not sure that's not true either, the music is mentioned for other contestants as well. Most of the musical choices this week were appalling and didn't suit the tempo of the dances.
  • Options
    libby21libby21 Posts: 737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OldLady wrote: »
    For the last two weeks I have been really disappointed after Natalie and Artems dance but then have re watched them and found them to be technically excellent and very cleverly choreographed. They have been completely let down by the music. When watching dancing it is the music which generates a large part of the emotional response. After all, dance is really just the physical expression of a piece of music.

I do not believe in conspiracy theories but I do believe that the producers try to create a narrative for the competitors. If it is true that the producers select the music then perhaps the poor choices have been deliberate. After the last two weeks there must have been people everywhere saying 'well, that was very clever but for me something was missing'. So then their next step will be to give Natalie and Artem a wonderful piece of music which enhances rather than detracts from the dance and there you will have it - Natalie and Artems transformative moment!

As an admirer of Artem I only hope this theory is true because I would love to see them perform a superb dance to an emotive piece of music, fingers crossed.
    I agree about the music being poor choices deliberately,not very fair though,Natalie must be doing really badly in the public vote,seems they are trying to get people to feel sorry for her and vote for her but that's not going to happen with the judges still overmarking her,they are contradicting themselves,they seem to be getting a bit desperate to keep Natalie out of the dance off as the numbers go down,its all now seems to be going a bit pear shaped for the bbc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People let the music get in the way too much. Personally, I watch most routines (at least for a part) on mute as you can't hide lacklustre dancing without the music as a veil (for better or worse).

OK, well though it is something I just would not normally do I have just watched their performance on mute.....it was fabulous and so much better than what I saw with the music, the sharp head movements were perfectly in time with each other though when watched with the music it all seemed a little out of sync, the only thing I could fault her on was her posture at times....so thanks for helping me to see just how good it could have been with decent music.
    Now I am off to watch Abbey's on mute too.:)
  • Options
    KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    libby21 wrote: »
    I agree about the music being poor choices deliberately,not very fair though,Natalie must be doing really badly in the public vote,seems they are trying to get people to feel sorry for her and vote for her but that's not going to happen with the judges still overmarking her,they are contradicting themselves,they seem to be getting a bit desperate to keep Natalie out of the dance off as the numbers go down,its all now seems to be going a bit pear shaped for the bbc.

I also think Natalie must be polling badly as the judges have to keep her on top of the leader board every week despite lacklustre preformance the last 2 weeks. I think the drama and tears are also a ploy to get people to vote for her but it is having opposite effect.

She is a lovely dancer I do not deny that but Artem and her just do not connect, I wish another pro had her as they may have done her justice
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OldLady wrote: »

Great post.

I'm willing Natalie and Artem on, but it's getting on a bit now. Where is the wow?

I'm far from a jellus hater, and dance experience doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just feel that the producers partnered Natalie with Artem because she would be the best technically. Can't blame their thinking, but the coupling leaves me cold. I'd love to see Natalie with Pasha or Brendan (removing height issues).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    libby21 wrote: »

Or conversely Natalie could be doing too well in the public vote and they are trying to nobble her so their own BBC contender has a better chance of winning;)

The judges are not overmarking her in the sense that she is the front runner, she is the best dancer and Natalie knockers cannot have it both ways...some people need to make their minds up with Natalie, one minute saying she is a professional and then saying she is overmarked:rolleyes:
  • Options
    KatenutzsKatenutzs Posts: 2,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or conversely Natalie could be doing too well in the public vote and they are trying to nobble her so their own BBC contender has a better chance of winning;)
    :

To be honest I did not think of it from this angle, I just thought they were marking her high to keep her from the d/o.

Thank you for making me look at it from another point of view :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katenutzs wrote: »
    To be honest I did not think of it from this angle, I just thought they were marking her high to keep her from the d/o.

Thank you for making me look at it from another point of view :)

You are welcome.:)Of course either or none of the above are possible, but I just find it strange that people are complaining that Natalie is being overmarked in one breath and in the next complaining that she is a pro and too good for the show.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I try so hard to like their dances as I know she's had a lot of people knocking her but I have to agree that for the last couple of weeks, I've found myself a bit bored during their dances and a slightly underwhelmed. The music probably plays a part but it's like they're just going through the motions and not actually living it, which is a shame because they could be phenomenal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Safiyah wrote: »
    I try so hard to like their dances as I know she's had a lot of people knocking her but I have to agree that for the last couple of weeks, I've found myself a bit bored during their dances and a slightly underwhelmed. The music probably plays a part but it's like they're just going through the motions and not actually living it, which is a shame because they could be phenomenal.

I dont think there was anything boring about their Charleston....quite the opposite, but I can see why some did not tune in to last nights dance as the music ruined it.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think there was anything boring about their Charleston....quite the opposite, but I can see why some did not tune in to last nights dance as the music ruined it.:)

The music ruined their Charleston too. Poor Nartem. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The music ruined their Charleston too. Poor Nartem. :cry:

It didn't for me as I thought it was a stunning dance and brilliant choreo, but i get that it was just too modern and innovative for some to appreciate, especially after a rousing traditional piece from S&K>:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It didn't for me as I thought it was a stunning dance and brilliant choreo, but i get that it was just too modern and innovative for some to appreciate, especially after a rousing traditional piece from S&K>:)

The tempo was off and Natalie's costume was ill-suited. Artem missed a trick by not choreographing the Charleston and Calypso parts of the song separately. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member

Hahah! That was actually funny :)

Some (before the performance) thought the music would be fine. I don't believe the problem was just the music. I expected a top quality tango and although there was a lot right with it, Nat's OTT facial expressions (have she and Susanna both been to the same acting school) and awareness of the cameras spoilt it for me.

Artem, of whom I'm not the greatest fan, surprised me at his sweetness with the kids at the school. Nat however, seemed to treat for just the publicity,
  • Options
    Striker22Striker22 Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Anyone to win except 'Artems' partner and Susannah.:p
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »

Some (before the performance) thought the music would be fine. I don't believe the problem was just the music. I expected a top quality tango and although there was a lot right with it, Nat's OTT facial expressions (have she and Susanna both been to the same acting school) and awareness of the cameras spoilt it for me.

Artem, of whom I'm not the greatest fan, surprised me at his sweetness with the kids at the school. Nat however, seemed to treat for just the publicity,

I was pleasantly surprised too :)
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Artem Is letting her down. Natalie is one of the best celebrity dancers ever to appear on Strictly and another partner would have showcased her every week.
    She was disappointing last night, it was dull and very ordinary even if the technique was good. The music choice was poor, and the choreography lacked any "wow" factor..that was Artem's fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »

I think we are talking at cross purposes, I was talking about their Charleston on the post you quoted me on. And I just didn't see the same as you with regard to the school visit, how does one tell everything that someone is thinking from a few minutes of footage?:confused: