Humax PVR-9300T : Hard Drives

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
After my recent problems re a crashed Western Digital 350Gb hard drive after a power failure (see previous post) I intend to purchase a new replacment , preferably a larger one... 500Gb.

I am assuming that I can replace it with something similar from the same WD series

Is there a definitive list of suitable hdds for this model?

The two 350 Gb models I am aware of that are already fitted into the 9300T are Western Digital ref:

WD3200AVJS

WD3200AVVS

(The second one is the one that has crashed)

Looking at the WD Spec List there are two 500Gb from this series

WD5000AVDS and WD5000AVCS ......so I will be contemplating buying one of these.

Any comments or advice?

Cheers

Reg

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    regrooster wrote: »
    Is there a definitive list of suitable hdds for this model?
    Not that I know of.
    (The second one is the one that has crashed)
    Could you explain what you mean by crashed? Have you tried formatting it on a PC or running the manufacturers diagnostics on it?
    Looking at the WD Spec List there are two 500Gb from this series

WD5000AVDS and WD5000AVCS ......so I will be contemplating buying one of these.
    The only difference between the two drives is that the AVDS has more cache than the AVCS. I don't know for certain but either should be suitable so I wouldchoose whichever is cheaper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member

Could you explain what you mean by crashed? Have you tried formatting it on a PC or running the manufacturers diagnostics on it?

My recent saga was described under the posting "Crashed 9300T" on this forum.(Should have been "Trashed 9300T" perhaps )

Yes...tried both of those suggestions . There was too much damage for the WD Diagnotics to deal with (too many bad segments) so it didn`t even finish the testing !

It even blew the fuse on my testing power unit at one stage (but this is only a cheapo Chinese unit so may just have been a dodgy fuse)

I also eventually reformatted it on a PC using 3 partitions and the Windows Checkdisk diagnostics will not complete either on any of the partitions. I can use it as a spare storage hdd I suppose , assuming it won`t crash again , but won`t bother attempting to put in back in the Humax .

This is why I decided that the best solution would be to buy a new hdd for the Humax. Not a cheap solution but will presumably be more reliable than attempting to do any more with this crashed 350Gb one .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My recent saga was described under the posting "Crashed 9300T" on this forum.(Should have been "Trashed 9300T" perhaps )

Yes...tried both of those suggestions . There was too much damage for the WD Diagnotics to deal with (too many bad segments) so it didn`t even finish the testing !

Fair enough (but I don't think you described these test in your previous thread). I agree replacing the drive is the way forward.
    Forum Member
    Fair enough (but I don't think you described these test in your previous thread). I agree replacing the drive is the way forward.

Sorry ..you are right...I should have finished the story !

Unfortunately I `d spent hours trying to save all the recorded programmes and when it eventually failed to read them I spent a few more hours trying to see if I could salvage the disk by using various diagnostics.

These problems are interesting to work on but they certainly "eat-up" a lot of time !

At least I`ve learnt something about it all so if this 500Gb hdd upgrade goes OK I`ll consider attempting a hdd upgrade to our older Humax 9200 from 160Gb to something bigger as that is always nearly full of recordings.

I`ve not had the cover off the 9200 yet but I believe that this uses the older IDE type of hdd.

Thanks for your help and advice Martin

Reg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve not had the cover off the 9200 yet but I believe that this uses the older IDE type of hdd.
    The 9200 does indeed use an IDE drive but it is possible to use an IDE to SATA converter.
    Forum Member
    The 9200 does indeed use an IDE drive but it is possible to use an IDE to SATA converter.
    I presume that 500Gb SATA hdds are more common (and cheaper?) than a 500Gb IDE hdd?

I`ve not looked into any details of a 9200 hdd upgrade yet so I will have to consider that option when I do.

The IDE/SATA convertors I`ve seen in the past are on a PCB so do you know if this will this fit OK inside the casing ...or are there smaller versions available.(have you any recommendations ?)

Also do you know how reliable they are in service ?

Thanks again

Reg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The IDE/SATA convertors I`ve seen in the past are on a PCB so do you know if this will this fit OK inside the casing ...or are there smaller versions available.(have you any recommendations ?)
    See posts 34 and 37 in this thread http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=960586&highlight=ide+to+sata&page=2 for my rather outdated knowledge on the subject. there have been more recent posts by others if you search this forum.
    Also do you know how reliable they are in service ?
    Good question; there are a variety of reports and you need to read them and make your own mind up.
    Forum Member
    Update......just in case anyone else is contemplating an upgrade

I bought and fitted the 500 gb hdd Western Digital WD5000AVDS into my Humax 9300T .
    Formatted it , as prompted on switching on and it's now up and running.

A straightfoward procedure.

Thanks again for all the useful advice and assistance on this forum.

Reg