Options

Bleak House (merged)

Comments

• Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    exuma wrote:
    You should watch it tonight. I felt the same way during the first 20 minutes, but it became really good afterwards.

Tonight's episode is supposed to be even better.

I so wanted to enjoy it. The novels were originally printed in magazines in serial format. So I thought that to show it on TV in half hour segments was a brilliant idea and would reflect that format.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The celeb count kept rising, but I loved seeing familar faces in a way I'd never seen them before (notable exception A McGowan, playing Richard playing David Beckham playing Harry Potter), in fact I had to double take to recognise Liza Tarbuck.

Tarbuck is a national treasure - smashing girl and utterly lacking vanity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The celeb count kept rising, but I loved seeing familar faces in a way I'd never seen them before (notable exception A McGowan, playing Richard playing David Beckham playing Harry Potter), in fact I had to double take to recognise Liza Tarbuck.

Tarbuck is a national treasure - smashing girl and utterly lacking vanity.

Anymore celebs and it can be renamed "Carry on Dickens".
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Complicated but quite good. They should try to persuade Mr Dickens to write more stuff for TV. Can't wait to see him on the popular chat shows. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote:
    Complicated but quite good. They should try to persuade Mr Dickens to write more stuff for TV. Can't wait to see him on the popular chat shows. ;)

He did a guest spot as himself on Doctor Who. Very sporting of him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,673
    Forum Member
    Anymore celebs and it can be renamed "Carry on Dickens".

:D Like it!

But after the initial one hour episode the rest of it is being shown as 30 min episodes which could be easier to digest/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    *Duncan* wrote:
    He did a guest spot as himself on Doctor Who. Very sporting of him.

I knew I had seen him before ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dare I ask what the production costs were?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Dare I ask what the production costs were?

8 million pounds is the rumor
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exuma wrote:
    8 million pounds is the rumor

It is a co-production with WGBH of America. I hope that it sells well in the States.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well tonight's was good. Mrs Badger was in Pride & Prejudice, so Andrew Davies must like her. I think Lady Dedlock and Tulkinghorn interest me the most.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DBC wrote:
    It is a co-production with WGBH of America. I hope that it sells well in the States.

The trouble with the Americans is that they probably won't realise that we don't live like that anymore.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    I missed yesterday's episode unfortunately. Tonights was freaking fantastic. I loved it that for the first half Lady Dedlock ony had one eye - the other one being covered by her hat. Tulkinghorn was fab as well.

We are spoiled rotten at the minute between this, Rome and the Shakespeare Re-Told to name but three...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Newsnight Review looked at this, one of the reviewers said that the photography was sometimes similar to the imagery in graphic novels where there are people in darkness lit by a slither of light. I can see what they mean now.

Anna Maxwell Martin as Esther seems to be able to say with one glance: "You would not envy me my troubles, but you would envy me my strength in dealing with them."

Still a remarkable performance, particularly as the moths begin to flutter around her character's flame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The second episode was really good, especially the last half.

The scenes between Gillian Anderson's Lady Dedlock and Charles Dance's Tulkinghorn were chilling. Great performances by both of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The trouble with the Americans is that they probably won't realise that we don't live like that anymore.......

Did you like the second episode?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the second episode. Top viewing :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very impressed so far. How on earth did the idle rich occupy themselves in those days :confused:

If I change my DS name again I will opt for 'Nemo' ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    am so peed off that I missed Friday's ep... must pay more attention in future! assumed it would be next tuesday... bugger!

anyway... thursday's was great... a bit slow starting, yes, but that was to be expected... was very impressed by the way it was filmed - very contemporary - says a lot for the project as a whole.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smashmouth wrote:
    am so peed off that I missed Friday's ep... must pay more attention in future! assumed it would be next tuesday... bugger!

Don't forget that they're repeating the first two progs on Sunday...

K
  • Options
    DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KennyT wrote:
    Don't forget that they're repeating the first two progs on Sunday...

K

Yes , episode one 16:30-17:30, episode two 18:15-18:45 , on BBC1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote:
    Very impressed so far. How on earth did the idle rich occupy themselves in those days :confused:

I think that Lady Dedlock may have kept herself occupied with "no-one in particular" :D

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    exuma wrote:
    Did you like the second episode?

Thanks for asking. I missed it - doing something else. Promise that I will tie myself to an armchair, prop my eyes open with matchsticks and try very hard to enjoy episode 3/15.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for asking. I missed it - doing something else. Promise that I will tie myself to an armchair, prop my eyes open with matchsticks and try very hard to enjoy episode 3/15.

Don't forget the repeat on Sunday!!!! No need to miss anything.

K

PS. Anyone know the overnights for Ep2?
  • Options
    Tc7Tc7 Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it a tad slow, I keep finding myself drifting off and thinking of other things. But that might be me!

Dickens has such colourful characters and the names are good as well. Mr Deadlock who was blocking the path!! Fabulous!

Anyone remember the recent-ish version of Our mutual Friend? I loved that one, I wish it was available on dvd!

Noddy Boffin.