Sound Quality on Panasonic SA-BT100

I have had a Panasonic SA-BT100 Blu-Ray Home Cinema System for about a year.

I'm very happy with it generally - the Blu-Ray picture quality is superb and the sound when watching Sky is fine.

However, when I'm watching DVDs (Blu-Ray or std DVD), the sound from the speakers just reverberates around the house.

I suspect that this is the design, and it is supposed to be like this. It's just that for me personally I find it quite overbearing. Background noise can sound like a thunderstorm, yet the dialogue is soft. So we're often turning the volume up and down and have all but given up watching DVDs on an evening when the kids are in bed as the noise reverberates around the house.

Does anyone know of any options on this model to reduce this or change the settings. I'm not very technical when it comes to things like this so I just followed the manual when I set it up.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks, Phil.

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look for a night mode setting in the menus. This compresses the dynamic range so that the difference between the loudest bits and the quite bits is a lot less. As an alternative check to see if you can turn up the centre channel volume which carries the dialogue this will allow you to use a lower volume and still hear the words.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Page 37 of the English manual shows you how to adjust the volume levels of the individual speakers. You can make the Centre channel louder - that's where voices come from, and you can also make the other channels quieter. When you make these adjustments you will see the numbers in the dB boxes changing so you know you are adjusting the correct channel.

There is one other thing to look at -
    • DRC - Dynamic range compression - Makes the quiet bits a little louder and the loud bits a little quieter so there's not such an extreme range. See page 19 of your manual.

If you have lost your manual you can download another copy from the Panasonic web site by visiting the support pages. Your model number I think is SC-BT100

Hope this helps. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Thanks both for your help. I'll get the manual out and make the changes that you've suggested.

Cheers, Phil