Is there any relevance to this, regarding The Eleventh Hour?

2»

Comments

• sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    On a similar relevance.

Is there any link to the blue light flares in Eleventh Hour (Doctor's tie locked in car door) & A Christmas Carol (on the space ship, whilst crashing).?

As in none? ;)

I think it is just a screen style that the Moff is using as a calling-card, perhaps.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    HandsomeBB wrote: »
    I loved that show. :D:D

Loved it? You were in it, Ted! :D
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    As in none? ;)

I think it is just a screen style that the Moff is using as a calling-card, perhaps.

I think the lens flares, along with the whole design of the ship bridge, and the camera angles used, are supposed to be stylistic references to J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot.

http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-admits-star-trek-lens-flares-are-ridiculous
    Forum Member
    I think the lens flares, along with the whole design of the ship bridge, and the camera angles used, are supposed to be stylistic references to J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot.

http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-admits-star-trek-lens-flares-are-ridiculous

It could be - but he has used them before, in settings where there were no 'sci-fi' images - like the scene in The Eleventh Hour where Amy traps the Doctor in a car door by his tie (there were more, but can't remember them right now). I think it would be more likely to be a stylistic trait of the man himself, not an homage.
    Forum Member
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    It could be - but he has used them before, in settings where there were no 'sci-fi' images - like the scene in The Eleventh Hour where Amy traps the Doctor in a car door by his tie (there were more, but can't remember them right now). I think it would be more likely to be a stylistic trait of the man himself, not an homage.

The question was whether the lens flares in Carol were related to those in Hour. I'm saying no - using the same visual element twice doesn't constitute a theme, and in both cases, there were deliberate and different reasons for using the element.
    Forum Member
    The question was whether the lens flares in Carol were related to those in Hour. I'm saying no - using the same visual element twice doesn't constitute a theme, and in both cases, there were deliberate and different reasons for using the element.

Fair enough - but they weren't the only two uses, they are only the uses that immediately spring to mind.
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a very clever way of avoiding pinpointing one religion.

OR.......

Perhaps the crack had made all religions disappear so santa was actually a worldwide deity
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a very clever way of avoiding pinpointing one religion.

OR.......

Perhaps the crack had made all religions disappear so santa was actually a worldwide deity

I think I remember RTD saying in an interview that he wanted to keep religion out of Doctor Who - in the respect that he didn't want to anger religious groups, or turn the sci-fi element of Doctor Who in to religious metaphors.

Perhaps it's SM's version of the same? But then he turned the church into an army for the Angels' two-parter - or perhaps he's trying a different tack? A little sprinkling of religion, but not an 'in-your-face' version (more like a side-on glance)...
    Forum Member
    Are you suggesting that the cracks are capable of making God disappear? There'll be a lot of religions very unhappy if you are....
    Forum Member
    Are you suggesting that the cracks are capable of making God disappear? There'll be a lot of religions very unhappy if you are....

Can't possibly happen - God, should s/he exist, would have known about the cracks in advance, and would have been well out of the way for their happening! Possibly sunning him/herself in his/her version of Brighton...;)