Teresa May bans 'pick up artist' from entering the UK

Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Controversial US "pick-up artist" Julien Blanc has been barred from entering the UK by the Home Office, the BBC understands.

His UK tour is due to start in February 2015, but a petition to deny him a visa attracted more than 120,000 signatures.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30119100

What gets me is that some people in the past would use this kind of thing as a stick to beat Labour with, yet say nothing when the Tories do exactly the same thing. These kind of things would be run into the ground by the press... 'freedom of speech', 'liberties' 'let adults decide' ect.. etc..

Also, what's liberal about the Liberal party I have no idea. Clegg is pretty much denouncing prisoner reform elsewhere and promoting mob rule. It's a joke.

As to this whether this bloke should be banned or not, I've no idea who he really is, apart from the fact he doesn't appear to have a criminal record (from what I can see). From the little bits I hear, he does seem very unsavoury.

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victory for the serially offended

Loss for common sense and freedom of speech/expression

That said, I won't lose any sleep for him.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Labour got away with a lot of Conservativey stuff because they weren't called the Conservative Party.

And also with these "Conservatives" and "Liberals" who are both as far away from their labels as you can get.

No wonder the general public are tired of modern politicians.

No doubt Julien Blanc is a disgusting individual, but he hardly merits a ban on entering the country.
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Well done Ms May .
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member

Loss for common sense and freedom of speech/expression

That said, I won't lose any sleep for him.

Suggesting that its ok for men to verbally and physically attack women as a tactic to "pick " them has nothing to do with freedom of speech/expression.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a little odd considering the shite they give citizenship to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing how many so called 'liberals' are cheering this on Twitter. Nothing liberal about this.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    More like a victory for those who have genuine concern about this unpleasant-sounding individual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    More like a victory for those who have genuine concern about this unpleasant-sounding individual.

"Unpleasant sounding" is no reason to ban someone from the country.

He's as arse but this is nonsense and sets a very dangerous precedent.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,546
    Forum Member
    Amazing how many so called 'liberals' are cheering this on Twitter. Nothing liberal about this.

Many would disagree.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit uncomfortable with a ban. Couldn't they just say he can come as a tourist or to visit people he knows but has no right to work here, earn money, teach, promote a book or a business or speak at public meetings or gatherings?

Maybe that's too difficult. It must be easier to just deny him access to the UK but he's got some free publicity for what he does which may be what he wanted.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I love this little nugget from Lynne Featherstone:
    If he was allowed to perform in the UK I have no doubt that cases of sexual harassment and intimidation would increase

She sounds like one of those people who complains about how a violent video game or film will lead to an increase in violence.

The Home Office is really overstepping its bounds.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Unpleasant sounding" is no reason to ban someone from the country.
    Why not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Why not?

No laws have been broken. As far as I know, he doesn't have a criminal record and so should be allowed to enter the country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No laws have been broken. As far as I know, he doesn't have a criminal record and so should be allowed to enter the country.
    Actually, yes but with conditions on his entry (see below) and a significant monetary deposit to be reclaimed on exit if he behaved.

He should be allowed to come as a tourist or to visit people he knows but not work here, earn money, teach or lecture, promote a book or a business or speak at public meetings or gatherings. If he breaks conditions he forfeits the money and gets a ban.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't he just another Dapper laughs ?
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Isn't he just another Dapper laughs ?

Yeah but we can't have his sort here because we just know how impressionable and weak-minded men are, that if they are exposed to his schtick, they'll just starting going out and committing acts of sexual harrasment and intimidation. ;-)

I'm paraphrasing the Home Office statement.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should see the letter he got from 8chan's legal dude. It's EPIC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just wondering what the next moral panic will be. You know there will be one.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see why May has done this as it gets her a good headline but I'm not sure it makes sense. There are still loads of books and websites on "pickup "techniques" and they reach a much bigger audience than one guy in a hotel conference room. As long as he isn't advocating violence to women then he's just a mouthy young man on an ego trip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see why May did this too: mob rule.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    I hope all the publicity on this gets noticed by young women and they can educate and prepare themselves against the aggressive bullshit that tries to pass as a chat-up routine.

This Blanc character gives old-fashioned, harmless, bullshitters a bad name.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do his methods actually *work* ? I hope not but suspect they do on some.

Far from being tempted to try them I'd be put off any woman so dim, shallow and gullible that she'd fall for a cynically taught pick-up 'method'.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We are not the only country to not want him and rightly so. I am all for freedom but this man is a tw*t and we do not need him here, the man basically condones violent acts and encourages men to ignore the lady when she says no to sex ( which is usually classed as rape ) he also seems very keen on violently targeting Asian women and gave himself the hashtag #ChokingGirlsAroundtheWorld its just a shame we let in so many other trouble makers so easily in the past.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah but given the choice I'd kick a lot of "unpleasant sounding" people out of the country but apparently we're not allowed to make people stateless.

That doesn't mean we should miss out on the opportunity to keep out a genital-head that actually has another state to live in though