Options

New vacuum cleaner

Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I bought my house money was tight so I just bought the cheapest vacuum cleaner Tesco sold. It was around 40 quid and it is utterly crap, it makes a lot of noise but barely sucks. A couple of years later I'm fed up with it and I've got more disposable income so I'm looking to buy a new one.

I have carpet in my hall, on my stairs and landing but my other rooms have wooden floorboards. I'm ambivalent about whether or not it should have a bag but I want something that actually cleans properly. I was thinking of getting a Henry because I've heard good things about them but I know nothing about vacuum cleaners so any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a Henry, they're brilliant.

Builders and cleaners have Henrys. Nuff said.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member

+1, love Henrys face.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    We sell cleaners - go for a Henry :D
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes they do mainly in my experience because they are almost indestructible and the cleaning ability is secondary really. In an office environment you need something to pick up paperclips and stuff not pet hair or domestic mess. You also need one can be fixed quickly and cheaply. At home requirements are different and I would only recommend a henry when purchased with an airo head to groom the carpet and pick up pet hair if you have a pet that is.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I bought this one few months ago, and I'm happy with it. It was a bit pricey, but it's very silent and most importantly, sucks like a horny hooker. If you are willing to spend a bit more on a vacuum cleaner and you want a robust and reliable product, I'd recommend this one.
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I remember rightly, we can't buy a vacuum over 1600w now in the UK, so that one linked by davor is a corker. I didn't have the money to get a very powerful vac when I heard about the ban, and I thought I was forevermore completely buggered. So, thanks, davor. :D

(FYI Ron, or anyone else, if you hadn't heard: link about the EU ban)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28878432
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Yes they do mainly in my experience because they are almost indestructible and the cleaning ability is secondary really. In an office environment you need something to pick up paperclips and stuff not pet hair or domestic mess. You also need one can be fixed quickly and cheaply. At home requirements are different and I would only recommend a henry when purchased with an airo head to groom the carpet and pick up pet hair if you have a pet that is.

I don't have a pet, so can't comment on Henry's ability with pet hair.

However, I do have two very messy toddlers and need to hoover almost daily. Henry is the best and most reliable vacuum cleaner I have ever owned and I have owned a few! Including two Dysons which barely lasted a couple of years each. Overpriced shite.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    If I remember rightly, we can't buy a vacuum over 1600w now in the UK, so that one linked by davor is a corker. I didn't have the money to get a very powerful vac when I heard about the ban, and I thought I was forevermore completely buggered. So, thanks, davor. :D
    Note that the vacuum cleaner about which he is so enthusiastic has a power rating of only 700W - well below the current permitted limit, and probably well below any conceivable future limit.

Buying a vacuum cleaner because it uses a lot of watts is like buying a car because it uses a lot of petrol.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Note that the vacuum cleaner about which he is so enthusiastic has a power rating of only 700W - well below the current permitted limit, and probably well below any conceivable future limit.

Buying a vacuum cleaner because it uses a lot of watts is like buying a car because it uses a lot of petrol.

If he bought it several months ago he probably got the earlier version which had a 1200w motor.

I got the Bosch BGS5PETGB 2200w about a month ago and it's the bees knees, but it has now been replaced with the BGS5PET2GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he bought it several months ago he probably got the earlier version which had a 1200w motor.
    But a 1200W machine would still be within EU limits. Perhaps they have realised that selling vacuum cleaners by the number of watts they consume was going to cease to be an effective marketing strategy.
    I got the Bosch BGS5PETGB 2200w about a month ago and it's the bees knees, but it has now been replaced with the BGS5PET2GB.
    I'm sure it warms your room very effectively!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But a 1200W machine would still be within EU limits. Perhaps they have realised that selling vacuum cleaners by the number of watts they consume was going to cease to be an effective marketing strategy.

But more importantly it cleans better - how does taking longer to vacuum up save on electricity?, just as cheap to use a more powerful one for less time.

Likewise, the amount of heat put in the room will be similar, just over a longer period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But more importantly it cleans better - how does taking longer to vacuum up save on electricity?, just as cheap to use a more powerful one for less time.

Likewise, the amount of heat put in the room will be similar, just over a longer period.
    And your evidence for that claim is where?

I presume you do know that putting a lot of power into a motor does not necessarily translate into moving a lot of air?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's so quick and efficient it's not on for long enough!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But more importantly it cleans better - how does taking longer to vacuum up save on electricity?, just as cheap to use a more powerful one for less time..

My experience agrees with this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And your evidence for that claim is where?

The laws of physics?.

I presume you do know that putting a lot of power into a motor does not necessarily translate into moving a lot of air?

Assuming equal efficiencies it does - what is your evidence for assuming that a low power cleaner sucks just as well as a high power one? :D

Have you never used vacuum cleaners?, presumably not or you wouldn't make such a silly suggestion.
  • Options
    SuesSues Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used a Dyson for years but although it was OK it was also heavy and I hated heaving it up and down stairs.

About a year ago I bought a GTech AirRam. It is cordless and doesn't have a bag at all, just a small tray where the dust and dirt go and comes out as two square blocks when the tray is emptied. It is lovely and light and of course I don't have to keep connecting and disconnecting the plug. I juice it up about once a week and it is so efficient and gets everything, even though I have a long-haired cat. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't have tools but I bought the small hand-held GTech for the cobwebs and dusting radiators etc. Together they are marvellous and I could lift the AirRam up the stairs using one finger.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Henry.
    Nuff said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The laws of physics?
    No such law. No wonder you are confused.
    Assuming equal efficiencies it does
    And why are you assuming equal efficiencies?
    Have you never used vacuum cleaners?, presumably not or you wouldn't make such a silly suggestion.
    Just weird. Presumably your imaginary data on vacuum cleaner efficiency comes from the same secret source as your imaginary data on appliance reliability.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The biggest choice is between a round one that you drag around and has a head that you scrape with, good for poking in corners and under things, or an upright one that you push around which also brushes up the stuff. Uprights take a bit less storage room.

If you want an upright one, Sebo are best but cost plenty. They are not very heavy and have a fairly narrow head and go along walls well.
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See if you can still get a Hoover Pet Smart, 1900w, for about £60 in Asda. Really strong suction - honestly ! I'm impressed with mine, and I have carpet and laminate flooring. As for Henry hoovers - flaming nuisance they are, because you can't store the hose and tube on them, so they take up storage space. We have one at work and it's inconvenient trying to prop the hose up alongside - always slides down !
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing better than a Henry is the new improved Henry Xtra... Just got one last week as my cleaner refuses to use the Dyson - Henry is Boss :)

http://www.henryvacs.co.uk/acatalog/Henry_Xtra_Vacuum_Cleaner_HVX_200-22.html?gclid=CNLKkd_MicECFWjMtAodrloAiQ
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Henry. Get the rotating brush head if you have a lot of carpets.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look no further than any Miele vacuum cleaner.

They are simply the best I have ever used!
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots to think about then. Thanks everyone, keep the advice coming (physics discussion not so much).
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sues wrote: »
    I have used a Dyson for years but although it was OK it was also heavy and I hated heaving it up and down stairs.

About a year ago I bought a GTech AirRam. It is cordless and doesn't have a bag at all, just a small tray where the dust and dirt go and comes out as two square blocks when the tray is emptied. It is lovely and light and of course I don't have to keep connecting and disconnecting the plug. I juice it up about once a week and it is so efficient and gets everything, even though I have a long-haired cat. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't have tools but I bought the small hand-held GTech for the cobwebs and dusting radiators etc. Together they are marvellous and I could lift the AirRam up the stairs using one finger.

I had a dyson animal and it was crap. was forever getting bunged up and never picked up anything.

Just treated myself to a GTech AirRam and it's the dogs dangly bits! Picks up stuff I never knew was there and my place is wooden floors throughout. If you can afford it they are brill. And tiny!!!!

On a budget go for a Henry, they are brilliant. Couldn't get one as have no place to store it unfortunately.