Options

Biggins

I'm sorry if this has been said before. Biggins said he was diabetic.

How did he survive not eating a proper diet to fit in with his condition?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect he was a type ll diabetic, not on insulin, and probably mild. I expect he had enough to keep him going, he would have been monitored carefully throughout.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    little_me wrote: »
    I expect he was a type ll diabetic, not on insulin, and probably mild. I expect he had enough to keep him going, he would have been monitored carefully throughout.

Thanks for that! He made a big deal of his medical conditions.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He probably got proper grub in the hut.........or 'the cafe' as he called it...........:mad:;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this was the reason he was excused from the trials. His heart, cholesterol and his diabetes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jalabert wrote: »

I never heard him make a big deal out of his medical conditions, except at the end when he was so grateful to be healthier than when he went in. He said "everything is down".

Being diabetic, even mildly so, is a potentially dangerous condition. He was/is very overweight and doubtless had high blood pressure which is often associated with diabetes.

It would have done him a lot of good to eat less - and maybe drink alcohol less though I have no knowledge of his drinking habits - than he normally does though obviously he had to eat something regularly, so there was a degree of risk involved. That's probably why the medics kept an eye on him and kept him out of one or two trials which would have involved a large adrenaline rush.

I doubt that eating a witchety grubs would have raised his blood sugar much :).
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He only mentioned it at the end:confused:

I, and others, wondered what the medical reasons were when he was excused trials. He certainly didn't say, nor did anyone else.
    (at least not on camera)
  • Options
    One and OnlyOne and Only Posts: 4,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumpbottom wrote: »

I, and others, wondered what the medical reasons were when he was excused trials. He certainly didn't say, nor did anyone else.
    (at least not on camera)

You and I were watching the same programme then.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumpbottom wrote: »

(at least not on camera)

Sorry, I meant in last night's programme. I should have made myself clearer.
  • Options
    MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe this was the reason he was excused from the trials. His heart, cholesterol and his diabetes.

In which case, if the twonk couldn't particiapate and couldn't be voted to do things, he shouldn't have had his fat rump in there in the first place.
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I meant in last night's programme. I should have made myself clearer.
    OK. Forgiven;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I have been wondering about the health of participants today. I always imagined they would have to pass some medical test before they went in there. I cannot bear the man, but if he has diabetes and Janice a bad back ( the programme makers must know all that before hand), I think that it is great they went in there. I wonder about jumping out of planes and stuff with all that going on. I think it is GREAT, albeit Biggins didn't do that bit). I would like to see an 80 year old in there with them. I would like to see all ages over 16 to a 100. I think we should send Prince Phillip in there. I am sure he would give it a go and he would be the alter ego of Janice.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catatonic wrote: »
    I would like to see an 80 year old in there with them.

Jimmy Saville next year then ;)
  • Options
    mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh please no!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now, now, you are beginning to sound a little ageist to me.. My mum would love to go in there and give it a go and my dad, is there a reason they shouldn't...??? Who is Jimmy Seville?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsparadox wrote: »
    Oh please no!!!!!!!!!!
    Haha ...Wouldn't you love to see him doing a Helicopter Bungie :D
    catatonic wrote: »
    Now, now, you are beginning to sound a little ageist to me.. My mum would love to go in there and give it a go and my dad, is there a reason they shouldn't...??? Who is Jimmy Seville?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Saville
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What !!.............:eek:

Send Jimmy in ?.............with all those young ladeeeez ?

With his reputation !...........:eek:

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Saville

Well he seems very alive and kicking in that photo....I can't see his zimmer...and The hairdo rocks, can we make a vote for him to go on. next year.... ?? Sounds like he has worked pretty hard in his life... one stipulation, he isn't a "luvvie". My mother said she hasn't heard of him, is he Scottish, she likes his outfit...??!! Or perhaps an American golfer???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wish Benny Hill was still alive !!
  • Options
    mrsparadoxmrsparadox Posts: 1,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh imagine if the rope was too long? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha.....Naughty Naughty :D:D
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    little_me wrote: »
    I never heard him make a big deal out of his medical conditions, except at the end when he was so grateful to be healthier than when he went in. He said "everything is down".

Being diabetic, even mildly so, is a potentially dangerous condition. He was/is very overweight and doubtless had high blood pressure which is often associated with diabetes.

It would have done him a lot of good to eat less - and maybe drink alcohol less though I have no knowledge of his drinking habits - than he normally does though obviously he had to eat something regularly, so there was a degree of risk involved. That's probably why the medics kept an eye on him and kept him out of one or two trials which would have involved a large adrenaline rush.

I doubt that eating a witchety grubs would have raised his blood sugar much :).

Yes he mentioned his blood pressure was well down, & also his cholesterol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or if its length was only calibrated for his body weight minus medallions.:o

Blimey - I've just noticed your location Mrs Paradox. That's where I'm from originally!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    What !!.............:eek:

Send Jimmy in ?.............with all those young ladeeeez ?

With his reputation !...........:eek:

:rolleyes:
    That really made me laugh out loud!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Now then, now then" :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melodybear wrote: »
    In which case, if the twonk couldn't particiapate and couldn't be voted to do things, he shouldn't have had his fat rump in there in the first place.

Exactly, he arrives very late so not so many days to suffer, gets away with doing as little as possible, has medic on hand monitoring him and waltzes out a 'rigged' winner - no contest:mad: