Options

Pixar's Inside Out

LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
Forum Member
✭✭
Teaser trailer for Pixar's latest.

http://youtu.be/MIGECPlJPqg

Growing up can be a bumpy road, and it's no exception for Riley, who is uprooted from her Midwest life when her father starts a new job in San Francisco. Like all of us, Riley is guided by her emotions – Joy (Amy Poehler), Fear (Bill Hader), Anger (Lewis Black), Disgust (Mindy Kaling) and Sadness (Phyllis Smith). The emotions live in Headquarters, the control center inside Riley’s mind, where they help advise her through everyday life. As Riley and her emotions struggle to adjust to a new life in San Francisco, turmoil ensues in Headquarters. Although Joy, Riley's main and most important emotion, tries to keep things positive, the emotions conflict on how best to navigate a new city, house and school.

Comments

• Options
    BrettBrett Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That seems much more like classic pixar , looks good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be honest, I'm not really wowed by it. I think I'm still bitter over the disappointment that was Brave.

That and this does feel like they've adapted the Cranium Command attraction.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Pixar movies of old but if I'm honest this doesn't excite me at all.

Hopefully I will eat my words.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I remember how The Incredibles didn't excite me before I saw it. And I was largely indifferent to WALL-E before seeing that as well. How things can change!

I was disappointed by Up, Brave, and then Monsters University wasn't particularly impressive either. All of them were surpassed in quality by some amazing Dreamworks films in recent years.

All that being said I'm still looking forward to this - it's something new and it's from Pixar. They gave a couple of decades worth of amazing films, so I don't feel anywhere near ready to feel pre-film let down by them yet. :)
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest The Incredibles STILL doesn't excite me, couldn't warm to it at all.

This one looks interesting though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Maybe you'll warm to it by the time The Incredibles 2 is released in '18 or '19. ;)

Although I've already stated my reservations, this does seem to be right in the Lamp's wheelhouse. Brave was too traditional, Inside Out however does seem quirky enough.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my opinion, Pixar can do no wrong, so I'm well up for this. Fear and Anger have the potential to be hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I am very interested in how this movie is done. Hopefully I love it and it can be one of Pixar's best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That trailer was kinda confusing. It's a nice concept but maybe a bit hard to follow (too many characters inside each of the human heads).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Each emotion is duplicated in each characters head, with just subtle differences. It'd be more confusing if they all looked different.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Anybody going to see this at the weekend? My daughters have been keen for this since seeing the trailer when we went to Minions. It has received great reviews. Supposedly this is a return to form for Pixar.
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to the premiere in Edinburgh last month. I don't want to say the m-word but it really is a masterpiece. Such a profound film that can be appreciated on so many different levels. It's a work of lush beauty, emotion and genius. It may not be as openly broad as the Despicable Me films for younger children but films like this will stand the test of time. A modern classic.
  • Options
    WolfGirl2WolfGirl2 Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved it. Wonderful concept, brilliantly portrayed. It's clever, emotive, works on many levels. I hope they make more like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this a couple of weeks ago as part of the Odeon's Screen Unseen preview event. While it doesn't reach the height of quality seen by other Pixar films, it's certainly exceptionally good and well worth a watch.

As it was directed by the guy who previously directed Up, the whole story is unsurprisingly laden with a degree of poignancy and pathos. In some ways it recalls Toy Story 3 in its depiction of the pain of growing up and the loss of childhood innocence. The sentiment that our memories are laden with sadness as we grow older is particularly emotional. Its original and incisive storytelling might go over the heads of younger members of the audience, but there's enough fun and silliness to keep them onboard.

The voice acting is particularly great - especially Phyllis Smith as Sadness and Lewis Black as Anger. Amy Poehler's Joy veers a little towards being annoying at times, but it's mostly well played. All in all, it's a thoroughly enjoyable, complex and moving film - probably one that the adults will appreciate more than the kids, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a mix of The Numbskulls and Herman's head.
  • Options
    kirbyreedkirbyreed Posts: 1,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing film, possibly my favourite of Pixar's. I sobbed like a baby at a couple of bits.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Hmmm - not sure what to make of this. Pixar have had a bit of dud patch of late - but apparently, this is a return to form. Kermode has given it his approval - but I think elsewhere it has received mixed reviews. It's an interesting concept - I grant you that. Hmmm, I'm tempted to do a cinema trip to see it - I'm sort of split on this or Song of the Sea, as to the next animation to view.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Just got back from the cinema, loved it. An excellent movie I think a lot of people will really connect to.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    Hmmm - not sure what to make of this. Pixar have had a bit of dud patch of late - but apparently, this is a return to form. Kermode has given it his approval - but I think elsewhere it has received mixed reviews. It's an interesting concept - I grant you that. Hmmm, I'm tempted to do a cinema trip to see it - I'm sort of split on this or Song of the Sea, as to the next animation to view.

It's the best critically rated general release film of the year so far...so not really mixed at all. I haven't seen either this or Song of the Sea yet. But since they're both critically praised I don't see why you can't watch both. I'm still withholding my verdict as sometimes films don't live up to the praise received in reviews. I'm taking my daughters on Sunday but worry my youngest won't be as captivated by this as Minions since this seems to be aimed more at older children and adults.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It's the best critically rated general release film of the year so far...so not really mixed at all. I haven't seen either this or Song of the Sea yet. But since they're both critically praised I don't see why you can't watch both. I'm still withholding my verdict as sometimes films don't live up to the praise received in reviews. I'm taking my daughters on Sunday but worry my youngest won't be as captivated by this as Minions since this seems to be aimed more at older children and adults.

Hmmm - I just might do that. Watch both films. It does seem like it is a return to form by Pixar. About time. That's good to see. It's also good that we live in a time where different forms of animations can be shown side-by-side in the cinemas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Whoever came up with the concept has a wonderful and intricate imagination. The way everything relating to emotions, memories and personalities are sown together is clever. There's bound to be scenes and ideas that much of the viewing audience can relate to, which is a component to many of Pixar's better films.

I did love it, and would definitely recommend but still wouldn't say it is of their best.
  • Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    clarks_fan wrote: »
    Whoever came up with the concept has a wonderful and intricate imagination. The way everything relating to emotions, memories and personalities are sown together is clever. There's bound to be scenes and ideas that much of the viewing audience can relate to, which is a component to many of Pixar's better films.

I did love it, and would definitely recommend but still wouldn't say it is of their best.

The idea was copied from The Numskulls comic strip in The Beano.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    The idea was copied from The Numskulls comic strip in The Beano.

I just watched a Nostalgia Critic video that puts forth a good argument that a lot of the ideas were nicked from Osmosis Jones.

Although the difference of course is that Osmosis Jones was rubbish.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quick question for those of you who have already seen this - is there actually any point in paying extra to see it in 3D?

Ii doesn't sound like the type of film where 3D would add hugely to viewing, but I am interested to hear from those who have seen it.