Options

Michelle 'Hattie From Eastenders' Gayle

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
Forum Member
Sweetness came on the radio the other day and I'd forgotten what a great song it was and then remembered that it was sung by Hattie from Eastenders. OMG, indeed!

I spent the rest of the day lamenting her music career.

Where did it go wrong? she could have easily been the second best soap star turned songstress.

Comments

• Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    `sensational` sounded too much like `do you know?` and i don't think that helped towards the end.:o she did have some good songs though, but her tone could be a bit harsh in places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    `sensational` sounded too much like `do you know?` and i don't think that helped towards the end.:o she did have some good songs though, but her tone could be a bit harsh in places.

just listening to sensational now.....but I don't recall it. :confused: I presume it was a miss.

but yes, she had some good songs and I could forgive her the occasional bum note, since she used to be Hattie. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    just listening to sensational now.....but I don't recall it. :confused: I presume it was a miss.

but yes, she had some good songs and I could forgive her the occasional bum note, since she used to be Hattie. :p

i think it got into the top 20, but it was her last hit.

`do you know?`, `sweetness` and `looking up` were all good pop songs though.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She tried to enter eurovision a few years ago but lost to some binman.
    Sweetness is such a nice summer tune though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    She tried to enter eurovision a few years ago but lost to some binman.
    Sweetness is such a nice summer tune though :)

she was robbed there to be fair.:o her song wasn't ground breaking or a masterpiece in any way, but it was catchy and very eurovision.:D

it wasn't the first time she tried to resurrect her music career either. in 2003, she came second on `reborn in the usa`.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    she was robbed there to be fair.:o her song wasn't ground breaking or a masterpiece in any way, but it was catchy and very eurovision.:D

it wasn't the first time she tried to resurrect her music career either. in 2003, she came second on `reborn in the usa`.

She also appeared on some BBC3 show two years ago about wheelchair bound people who would get to dance with celebs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    She also appeared on some BBC3 show two years ago about wheelchair bound people who would get to dance with celebs

oh yeah, i completely forgot about her being on that. i wonder what she`s doing now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweetness is a Choon! Loved happy just to be with you, freedom and do you know.
  • Options
    royllsroyceroyllsroyce Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hattie wasn't the only Eastenders star to sing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQlAdaDZaWw
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hattie wasn't the only Eastenders star to sing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQlAdaDZaWw

Not to mention that the actors who played Pauline Fowler, Steve Owen and Simon Wicks all recorded chart topping singles:-

"Come Outside" by Mike Sarne and Wendy Richard (Pauline Fowler) topped the charts in 1962.

"True" by Spandau Ballet (of which Martin Kemp, who played Steve Owen, was a member) topped the charts in 1983.

"Every Loser Wins" by Nick Berry (Simon Wicks) topped the charts in 1986.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She recorded a third album in 2006 and this was the supposed to be the lead single which would help her break the US market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq941wwlgnw

However, the single and album were shelved when the record label went bust.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FernandoM wrote: »
    She recorded a third album in 2006 and this was the supposed to be the lead single which would help her break the US market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq941wwlgnw

However, the single and album were shelved when the record label went bust.

in the video, its says 2004 and i remember hearing she was recording shortly after her stint on `reborn`. i hadn't heard that song before though, so thanks for posting. its certainly not up there with her best tracks, but at least it wasn't another `do you know` rip off to be fair.:o

that video prompted me to have another look at her eurovision effort and since it was highlighted in the youtube sidebar, it would be rude not too.:D definitely, a :o moment for her and her career in general, but she was still definitely robbed.:mad:
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didn't she do a track for 'making your mind up' or whatever it was called at that time when she did lots of mental dancing but got beat into second place?
  • Options
    jargonjargon Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to mention that the actors who played Pauline Fowler, Steve Owen and Simon Wicks all recorded chart topping singles.......

Martine McCutcheon (pre/post-EE), Sid Owen and Sean Maguire all come to mind too.

Anita Dobson had a hit with the theme tune. And there's a recent act called Dot Rotten!
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i liked 'looking up'... the rest was nowt special imho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member

:) Sweetness was one of MG'S biggest hits of the 90's ! I loved Looking Up and my favourite MG tune was Freedom and I'll Find You these were great underrated 90's pop songs.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Seriously though, I really did like this one........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfUNFToLjFI
  • Options
    speedy_gonzalesspeedy_gonzales Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    salt n pepa had nothing on fresh and fly.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget 'The Banned' created as part of an EE storyline, Ian Beale, Sharon Watts, Simon Wicks and Kelvin were all members (along with a couple of others) and it spawned 2 real singles
  • Options
    nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wedk656 wrote: »
    Seriously though, I really did like this one........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfUNFToLjFI

yes I loved this one, but there again it does feature Bernard Edward's legendary bassline
  • Options
    pikeurpikeur Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked quiet a few of her singles but her 2nd album just faded so quickly, sweetness i still love but ill fin you is a lovely ballad, overall i liked ll her singles.

Dont like the gotta be you sound though,not sure if i would have liked the 3rd lbum based on that song

A dancing on Ice or Im a celeb would do her no harm to get back in the public eye.