Options

45-70? Working/Lower Middle Class? Want To Retire To Spain?......

LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
Forum Member
.........You're stuffed.

Grayling just pretty much clarified on Newsnight that everyone will still be able to buy a small house abroad but they will as in the rest of the world need to pay for themselves.

Which means for a start paying for all your healthcare.

This was discussed in relation to Boris's Telegraph article.

Comments

• Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who pays for them at the moment?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise that the Spanish government gave free houses to Brits moving there - although in Spain there is such an excess of housing in some areas you can hardly give them away.

There are of course shedloads of young Spaniards in the UK who we provide jobs and homes for as their government can't due to their 45 per cent youth unemployment rate. We also have to pay for the healthcare costs of UK retirees in Spain - whereas all their citizens get to use the NHS here for free with the Spanish government paying none of the cost.

It's really of course up to the Spanish government if they want to cut off their nose to spite their face!
  • Options
    SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Spain brought in a 10% charge for healthcare so not completely free. That's what my In-Laws have told me.
    Our Government picks up the rest but you have to be an OAP or been residing for less than two years IIRC. If you're not a pensioner you need to be solvent. That's where this country goes wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that the Spanish government gave free houses to Brits moving there?

There are of course shedloads of young Spaniards in the UK who we provide jobs and homes for as their government can't due to their 45 per cent youth unemployment rate. We also have to pay for the healthcare costs of UK retirees in Spain and vice versa - whereas all their citizens get to use the NHS here for nothing.

It's really of course up to the Spanish government if they want to cut off their nose to spite their face!
    Well this is what I want information on.

My cousin, 70s, has a home in Spain - his only home and cheap because that is all he can afford - and had significant heart surgery in Spain. He also draws a pension. Can anyone explain to me how such things are funded and whether this will change not necessarily for him but for people like him who haven't moved to Spain yet.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol poor pensioners with nowt got their revenge.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My cousin, 70s, has a home in Spain - his only home and cheap because that is all he can afford - and had significant heart surgery in Spain. He also draws a pension. Can anyone explain to me how such things are funded and whether this will change not necessarily for him but for people like him who haven't moved to Spain yet.

In respect to the state pension if they've only paid their NI contributions in the UK they get the UK pension. If they've worked in Spain as well and thus paid the Spanish equivalent they'll get a pro-rated version funded from both countries
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

as to healthcare
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

If we go down the EEA route - nothing should change. If not, who can say?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Things might potentially change for new arrivals but I cannot envisage your cousin seeing his existing benefits and pension and free health care being taken away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    In respect to the state pension if they've only paid their NI contributions in the UK they get the UK pension. If they've worked in Spain as well and thus paid the Spanish equivalent they'll get a pro-rated version funded from both countries
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-spain

as to healthcare
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain

If we go down the EEA route - nothing should change. If not, who can say?
    Thank you.

That helps on pensions. Th healthcare side looks very complicated..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Things might potentially change for new arrivals but I cannot envisage your cousin seeing his existing benefits and pension and free health care being taken away.
    Thanks.

His son, a self-employed electrician in London, late 40s, was wanting to do something similar when he retired.

Obviously older people won't be retiring anywhere abroad in the future if they can't access NHS or equivalent state health funding.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pathetic.
    Most get the plane home for treatment anyway. Boris is conning you all.

Its funny too. Whilst that great dictator Putin has SputnikNews etc, Boris has the Torygraph, even getting a salary from them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.

That helps on pensions. Th healthcare side looks very complicated..

In simple terms If you are living in an EEA country and you receive a UK State Pension or long-term Incapacity Benefit, you should be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK using a certificate of entitlement also known as an S1 form. This is like the EHIC that people can use when on holiday, but a long term version

So in simpler terms if we move from the EU to the EEA then there will be no difference
  • Options
    ArtfulDodger_ArtfulDodger_ Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are they stuffed? Turkey is an alternative. I know couples that live out there, I personally would not but each to their own.
  • Options
    SetantiiSetantii Posts: 875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .........You're stuffed.

Grayling just pretty much clarified on Newsnight that everyone will still be able to buy a small house abroad but they will as in the rest of the world need to pay for themselves.

Which means for a start paying for all your healthcare.

This was discussed in relation to Boris's Telegraph article.

I don't think I will ever be in a position to retire, never mind retire to Spain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

His son, a self-employed electrician in London, late 40s, was wanting to do something similar when he retired.

Obviously older people won't be retiring anywhere abroad in the future if they can't access NHS or equivalent state health funding.

We have reciprocal free health care arrangements with lots of countries not in the EU. I remember getting ill Russia and got free treatment no questions asked. So you could always retire to the Crimea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    In simple terms If you are living in an EEA country and you receive a UK State Pension or long-term Incapacity Benefit, you should be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK using a certificate of entitlement also known as an S1 form. This is like the EHIC that people can use when on holiday, but a long term version

So in simpler terms if we move from the EU to the EEA then there will be no difference
    Thanks.

When I worked abroad sporadically in the 1990s, I had an E 111. I can't remember exactly but I was working in Switzerland and staying in France and I thought it only offered me that sort of medical support in France?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

When I worked abroad sporadically in the 1990s, I had an E 111. I can't remember exactly but I was working in Switzerland and staying in France and I thought it only offered me that sort of medical support in France?

The E111 has now been replaced by the EHIC, but that's a short term thing I think you can use it for about three months of care, as it's only meant as temporary .

The S1 (previously E121) is more a permanent transfer it in effect moves your NHS cover to Spain. In fact as I understand it once you have the S1 in place to give you cover in Spain if you come back to the UK for a holiday you'd need to get an EHIC in case you needed to use the NHS

Both the S1 and the EHIC provide cover across EEA countries and Switzerland. EHIC can be used over and over in many different countries, i.e. you don't need a new one for each holiday destination, but the S1 by it's nature just moves you to one particular country's books