Options

Anyone else experiencing this pleasing new bug

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
Forum Member
I'm not entirely sure when this started happening but standby on my PVR-9200T has changed. When I first got it, coming out of standby would result in a loading screen and then, as many have already commented, it would take ages for the EPG to populate.

These days when I turn the PVR on from standby it instantly shows a picture (no loading) and the EPG is permanently populated. Putting the PVR into standby definitely turns off the signal to the TV as the picture disappears and is replaced by "snow".

The only modification I've made is that I updated the PVR software to the PGXTF 1.00.01 version released in Oct 2005 but I'm pretty sure that this new behaviour didn't immediately start after that. The only other thing I can think of is that I've always got at least one programme on a daily recording schedule.

Has anyone else noticed this with their Hummy?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Its not a new bug. Your 9200 thinks its permanently recording.

From the whisper FAQ:

Q81
    ‘Standby’ acting strangely. EPG stays populated. Box comes out of ‘Standby’ without delay. Does not go into proper standby mode when asked. Hard Drive keeps spinning. False message in response to some commands says ‘Cannot do the requested action while recording’.

A81: (Post 2 by Barry to 'EPG remains populated thread' 17DEC2005)
    Named ‘Thinks I am recording’ bug. Due to a bug, the 9200T thinks it is continuously recording.
    Workaround is to go into ‘Standby’ then switch off using the toggle switch on the back the of box.

Symptoms of this bug are: disk still spinning when on standby, instant startup from standby, and PiP unavailable.

(Post 11 by Spoon261 to 'PiP problem thread' 01DEC2005)
    The way I found the problem was when I switched in to standby the hardrive did not switch off, also when you switch it on it comes on immediatly and the EPG is fully loaded. I double instant recorded and double scheduled recorded while in standby (recorded 2 things at once perfectly) to try to clear the fault, nothing worked. Pressing the stop button reconed their were no recordings going on. I did not try the on/off switch at the back since I new that would work from other people. I then tried reseting the box back to default settings in the installation menu and that fixed it, but also erased all my settings and recording schedule.

(Post 20 by Spoon261 to 'PiP problem thread' 08DEC2005)
    It happens every time I have 2 scheduled recordings on different muxes starting at the same time (although different start times may also do this), while watching another channel on the same mux. For me there's no longer any question - Recorded 'Rome' on BBC2 and 'Most Haunted' on FTN yesterday, while watching 'life in the undergrowth' on BBC1, all started at the same time. 'Rome' finished first, and as soon as the second recording finished I checked PIP - saw the 'not available during recording' as expected. I of course had checked before the recordings started that PIP was working, and after a reboot it was again, until the next occasion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I've just had a different take on this bug. Firstly, we've had the 9200 since October 2005 and it's never suffered the 'Thinks it's recording' bug before.

A couple of days ago I decided to set the box to autostart to BBC1 at 18:00 each evening to populate the epg. This morning about 8am I noticed the REC was illuminated :confused: .

I had a quick look on the faq for the fix for the bug, then turned the TV on to see what was happening. The display showed it was recording ch1. I pressed stop, got the normal confirm screen and the recording did stop. I did not have to resort to power off. I then went to the recorded progs and found the recording was from 17:59 the previous evening till about 01:49 (I think), even though it was still showing as recording 6 hours later (file size limit or something?). It was about 17MB. Deleted it of course.

So I've now taken the autostart off. Seems more than coincidence that this happened within 48 hours of setting it up and that the recording started so close to the same time.

Or have I missed something and this is normal for autostart?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I too have started experiencing this frequently and never used to have it either!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catbed wrote:
    I've just had a different take on this bug. Firstly, we've had the 9200 since October 2005 and it's never suffered the 'Thinks it's recording' bug before.

A couple of days ago I decided to set the box to autostart to BBC1 at 18:00 each evening to populate the epg. This morning about 8am I noticed the REC was illuminated :confused: .

I had a quick look on the faq for the fix for the bug, then turned the TV on to see what was happening. The display showed it was recording ch1. I pressed stop, got the normal confirm screen and the recording did stop. I did not have to resort to power off. I then went to the recorded progs and found the recording was from 17:59 the previous evening till about 01:49 (I think), even though it was still showing as recording 6 hours later (file size limit or something?). It was about 17MB. Deleted it of course.

So I've now taken the autostart off. Seems more than coincidence that this happened within 48 hours of setting it up and that the recording started so close to the same time.

Or have I missed something and this is normal for autostart?

Sounds like a "thinks its recording" bug to me. Cant tell whether the action you took prior caused it to happen or that it just coinsided and got mixed up with it.