iphone worth getting?

TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
Forum Member
Thinking about upgrading, just a few questions if someone could indulge me...
HOw big is the phone? I don't really want something that's as bulky as a video ipod or something.
How well does it play music/how much does it (generally) store?
Is the camera any good?
Has anyone had problems with the touchpad? I've heard it can activate even when you press the phone to your ear...
Any other info/reccomendations welcome!
Thx
TH

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    Trollheart wrote: »
    Thinking about upgrading, just a few questions if someone could indulge me...
    HOw big is the phone? I don't really want something that's as bulky as a video ipod or something.
    How well does it play music/how much does it (generally) store?
    Is the camera any good?
    Has anyone had problems with the touchpad? I've heard it can activate even when you press the phone to your ear...
    Any other info/reccomendations welcome!
    Thx
    TH

size and weight here.

it stores 7 or 14GB and plays music fine (although my first gen shuffle sounds better)

the camera doesn't have a flash or auto focus but within those limits it's okish but there are much better cameraphones.

the touchscreen on the two i've had have been fine. it turns off when you are taking on the phone with it against your ear.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    OK, thanks for that. So is it worth getting? Doesn't seem all that special, yet for some reason I think I want one. Good/bad decision?
    Forum Member
    So is it worth getting?

can't answer that for you. i think it's a masterpiece but that's just my opinion.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Brand new owner here....No a Mac fanboy or anything else apple for that matter.
    I am however impressed with it and think it was worth me getting it. None of the problems you highlight have happened to me....The features missing i.e flash, are not a problem for me. Internet and maps etc very handy. Email good. Early days but nothing negative at the moment.........
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I find some aspects of the iPhone bizarre for a mid-2008 smartphone (2MP camera, no A2DP stereo Bluetooth, no Bluetooth file transfer, no MMS, etc.), I have recently decided to get one anyway.

[As the flaws don't really affect me...I don't need a decent camera - I don't use the 5MP camera on my N95 for anything remotely serious, and I can use the IXUS or (if allowed ;) ) the wife's Nikon D40. Never used Bluetooth to transfer files. Don't have a stereo Bluetooth headset & not fussed about having one. Don't remember the last time I sent or received an MMS. etc...]

The positives though... so many people tell me it's an awesome portable media player, and awesome for the internet... and those are the two main things I want in my next device (other than normal phone functions of course). Plus the UI is supposed to be excellent.

Aiming to get one when I ditch T-Mobile soon... or earlier if my impatience for a new gadget makes me buy out the last couple of months of my contract.
  • Steve_runnerSteve_runner Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Although I find some aspects of the iPhone bizarre for a mid-2008 smartphone (2MP camera, no A2DP stereo Bluetooth, no Bluetooth file transfer, no MMS, etc.), I have recently decided to get one anyway.

[As the flaws don't really affect me...I don't need a decent camera - I don't use the 5MP camera on my N95 for anything remotely serious, and I can use the IXUS or (if allowed ;) ) the wife's Nikon D40. Never used Bluetooth to transfer files. Don't have a stereo Bluetooth headset & not fussed about having one. Don't remember the last time I sent or received an MMS. etc...]

The positives though... so many people tell me it's an awesome portable media player, and awesome for the internet... and those are the two main things I want in my next device (other than normal phone functions of course). Plus the UI is supposed to be excellent.

Aiming to get one when I ditch T-Mobile soon... or earlier if my impatience for a new gadget makes me buy out the last couple of months of my contract.

Like the way you've highlighted all the "faults" on the Iphone and then shown how they don't affect you. Doesn't this show the Iphone is very well placed for a certain market - ie YOU.

Anyway its a great phone, only had one a month and very impressed, great internet and email and of course still an Ipod. :D
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had one since mid-November and I'm extremely happy with it. Great Internet (I'm actually typing this on it now!) great email, SMS is good, iPod is great. The Lack of MMS annoys me but there are apps available for sending and when you receive one you get a link which you tap and it opens in safari.

I agree that this phone isn't for everyone, but I for one love it and don't think I could go back to a 'conventional' phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,087
    Forum Member
    OK, thanks for that. So is it worth getting? Doesn't seem all that special, yet for some reason I think I want one. Good/bad decision?

Well you can update your facebook via voice recognition on the iphone, using vlingo that you get free on itunes. Using the facebook app you can take photos and put them instantly on facebook. Using an app called zephyr you can make simple sketches send them out randomly and then watch what other people drew animated. Which is a lot of fun. There is a touch screen piano you can get which also fun and various other insturments. Plus it comes with 12 months internet if you get the pay and go version. The size is kinda similar to original video ipod but similar but wouldn't really work visually if it was small but is considerably lighter.

I love my phone dearly. *hugs phone* :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEKU-EAhf8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=39abgNBbt4o
    Forum Member
    coooldude wrote: »
    vlingo that you get free on itunes.

vlingo can't understand me unless i put on an american accent.
    Forum Member
    vlingo can't understand me unless i put on an american accent.

I guess I just must talk Americanese lucky me. :) Works very well for me personally. Actually if I speak reasonably audibly, clearly and not to fast it works fine for me.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want one now. I can't decide to get a PAYG one or just go on a normal tariff. I don't use many minutes so I think the £35 is a bit pricey for me. I'm with o2 now, but I don't think they do any deals for existing customers.
    Forum Member
    Sulriss wrote: »
    I want one now. I can't decide to get a PAYG one or just go on a normal tariff. I don't use many minutes so I think the £35 is a bit pricey for me. I'm with o2 now, but I don't think they do any deals for existing customers.

It's worth finding a rich friend and borrowing the money I'd say. There is no obligation to top up £30 per month.if you are reading the site only if you want to use those plans. With 12 months free internet it's not too bad really. Espeacially if all your friends get one like and the AIM instant messenger app and you can chat all day really.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lruFChUAxq4
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »

You could get a 2nd hand 3G iphone and go the simplicity £20 a month route 600 mins 1000 txts unlimited internet.
    Or any other network now that the 3G can be software unlocked.
    Its a fantastic phone if you can accept its limitations like the 2mb camera and bluetooth.MMS can be had for £4 but you need to jailbreak the phone.The app store has 100s of apps and games lots of them free that give the phone even more features.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had my iphone for 2 months and really happy with it, no mms but i can live with that.
  • Steve_runnerSteve_runner Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a Free app that does MMS really well, just search for MMS in the app store. Free to receive and 35p to send. Works well.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see why MMS isn't free considering we have free data usage.

Surely MMS is just. . . a message with . . . Data.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

So that'll be yesterday then... :o
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    .The app store has 100s of apps and games lots of them free that give the phone even more features.

10,000 to be a little more precise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically an SMS is just a message with data.

For me and many others then yes it is worth it. I have brought plenty of phones, gadgets and computers over the years and none have blew me away like the iPhone and I am not easily impressed. No MMS, no SMS forwarding and no bluetooth file transfers are annoying at times but all in all can't complain. Oh, and it can be slightly annoying sometimes having emails pushed to you 24/7 :p
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    No way I'd have push on 24/7....Then again I don't need it for business purposes...I prefer to collect my mail when I want it...
    I never used MMS on my other phones so that is not a bother...
    The Bluetooth is an issue but at least it pairs with my Hands free in the car.
    I'm still liking it...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In one word YES
    :D