Silent Witness New Series 19. BBC1 January 4th 2016

Comments

• thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I basically spend this drama watching Nikki's clothes and hair change constantly. I have wardrobe envy.

And you're a bloke :p:p:p
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    Yet you obviously watch it :confused:

Just because I find something daft doesn't mean it isn't watchable.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show is as daft as a brush.

Probably why I like it. :)
  • Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gilesb wrote: »
    Clarissa is my favourite

She's become my favourite as well. Next it's Nikki.
  • Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind to be honest. Emilia could just read the shipping forecast and I'd be happy.

Me too!
    (I've had a crush on her for many years now, in fact ever since she was in that odd Poliakoff drama about a huge photograph collection, and she was very young then!)
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blames nikki for his dad going to jail, death of sister and destruction of his family
    I thought you might be on to something there with motive, but it doesn't explain the connection to the other murders, or how David Hamilton would have the medical knowledge or access to other victim's homes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's her. She arranged the hitman.
  • simysimy Posts: 1,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jazz hands.
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotta be the wife
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do people keep getting into Nikkis building so easily. lol. They really need to install an intercom at her building. :D
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great start to the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing denouement, I thought. In the end, the wife was the only one left that hadn't been a suspect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Disappointing denouement, I thought. In the end, the wife was the only one left that hadn't been a suspect.

It was pretty clear it was her as she was the only one who would have the money to pay the hitman. Plus she gave Nikki the evil eye when she visited her house. These shows really make a laughing stock of the police.
  • NMdum1NMdum1 Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kept me entertained at least and I have quite a short attention span. As long as the plot makes sense and the heroes are successful in capturing their quarry, what else could you want from a good crime series? By about ten minutes from the end I figured it had to be the villain because everybody else seemed far too obvious.

I’ve always liked Liza Tarbuck, had enough cynical humour to be interesting without being clichéd – I think it’s a background in comedy, although she works well in dramas with slightly more quirky or humorous characters. I’ve never seen her do anything totally straight though – would that be good I wonder?

I take Chiltons Cane’s point about it being rather focused on Nicki, I do think Emilia Fox plays her part well, but wouldn’t it be so much cooler to put one of the other guys at the very heart of the action for a change, just for some variety. And can I just declare that I second gilesb absolutely, Clarissa totally rocks! I don’t know whether it’s the attitude or what, but she (and Liz Carr) are fab. There’s a character that could certainly do with more development and hopefully now she's main cast, she will get it.

One small issue though – how likely is it that anybody would want to touch Nicki with a ten mile bargepole now that she’s been charged with a murder, even if the case didn’t last more than, what fifteen hours? If calling somebody “eccentric” on the stand, which Belinda Roach must have been a bit to get called that, was enough to undermine the defence, surely every case Nicki touches now is a little tainted, especially because she got it wrong twice – the first suicide and Suzie Banks. My mind works that way, I over-think absolutely everything….

Good trailer for next week....
  • Micki369Micki369 Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    Nicki wasn't charged with murder, she was only arrested.
  • thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because I find something daft doesn't mean it isn't watchable.

That makes no sense at all, if I find something daft (your words) then I wouldn't watch it.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    I thought you might be on to something there with motive, but it doesn't explain the connection to the other murders, or how David Hamilton would have the medical knowledge or access to other victim's homes.

I had the right motive but wrong person, although worked it out mid episode two because as others said it was a process of elimination and the wife was the only person left who it could be.

I do like the consecutive days episodes but the only problem with that is the series are always so short and in three weeks it is all over for another year.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I basically spend this drama watching Nikki's clothes and hair change constantly. I have wardrobe envy.

And you're a bloke :p:p:p

Last time I looked I wasn't :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry if it's a stupid question, but why did the hitman tell the bloke (the husband) to get in the car? What was going on there?
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I do like the consecutive days episodes but the only problem with that is the series are always so short and in three weeks it is all over for another year.

Five weeks, ten episodes this year.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent first episode.

Does anyone else suspect Dean Andrews wife?

Well........ I thought it was obvious!
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Five weeks, ten episodes this year.

That's good, on the sky planner it indicated it was only five episodes long.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did Scott apologise to Nikki, when it was her who accused him of murder, she should be the one apologising.
  • saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an okay start to the series. I think the best bit though was Liz Carr appearing in the lead titles.

About bloody time.
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been a fan of this show since the Amanda Burton days and it just goes from strength to strength.

This week's series opener was absolutely terrific .. I was sufficiently absorbed not to notice any continuity errors (there usually are one or two).

I really like the interplay between Jack and Nikki, almost like siblings. He's always looking out for her and she seems to lean on him a bit more than she used to.

I noticed in this thread that Liza Tarbuck was in it, so I went to IMDB and was aghast to see that she played the obnoxious DI Rankin! I'd never have known .. what has she been doing to herself?