I came back to BB after not watching for years - now I'm gone for good

13»

Comments

• Jessica_HambyJessica_Hamby Posts: 1,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks OP. I've been thinking this too. Allow me to get some stuff off my chest.

I don't have too much of a problem with them manipulating footage, tasks or evictions to keep it entertaining. It needs to maintain momentum. And having gone so far by series 5 from the original socio-psychological brief, there was no way it could go back.

The problem for me is that the definition of 'entertainment' this year has been revolting: appealing to viewers' basest instincts; appealing to a vocal majority (?) who seem to enjoy hating others or seeing them humiliated, and not in that fun 'dress them as a chicken' way. It's been horribly evident on this forum but like a car crash I couldn't tear myself away.
      It wasn't entertaining for Wolfy to be told what the public thought of her. It was cruel.
      It wasn't entertaining to pair Daley and Hazel in the safe house. It was incendiary and downright sociopathic given they had his girlfriend on 3 days earlier.
      It wasn't entertaining to allow Gina and Dexter to make up cruel headlines that hurt the HM's feelings or made them anxious. It was unnecessary.
      It wasn't entertaining to tell the HMs how popular they were in an attempt to ruffle them. It was an exercise in creating arrogance or anxiety.
      It wasn't entertaining to allow viewers to punish housemates and vote them as 'Most [insert insult]'. It was pandering to medieval 'put them in the stocks' thinking. And it should have been aborted the minute they knew one particular HM (Hazel) was going to incur the lion's share.
      It wasn't entertaining to let the F & Fs cut loose on this already inflamed environment. It was antagonistic and divisive.
      It wasn't entertaining to have Hazel do a voiceover right after an argument with Gina that was designed to incite bitching, then put Gina in a BB-sanctioned bully role complete with croney, able to administer a painful punishment the next day. It was calculated to cause more division, created 3 days of gruelling unpleasant conflict for both women.
      And it most certainly isn't entertaining for anyone who isnt a moron or a villain themself to week in and week out allow a crowd to boo, jeer, chant, and insult HMs who've done not much more than be frail and very very human. It's debasing, humiliating and deeply unpleasant. Roman Colosseum writ modern day.

I don't enjoy feeling dislike for people. It's not good for the soul. And I need it to be countered with good, fun, positive feelings or I just get quite stressed. Some people on here are clearly different, judging by the at times rabid posting against a particular HM, especially Hazel and their bizarre enjoyment of her treatment by the main show and BBOTS (last night's bizarre 'worst bits' complete with exorcist voice and demon eyes being a case in point - the moment this show finally jumped the shark).

To dismiss criticism on the grounds that it's "just a gameshow" is seriously misplaced. Its only resemblance to a gameshow is that there is a winner and a prize. In all other ways, it's a manipulated 'unpopularity contest'. At least Vote to Save plays on a slightly kinder instinct.

That VTE was resurrected tells me a lot about the values of the people in charge. They've allowed the whole enterprise to be controlled by viewers' loathing or love of a handful of HMs. Pandering and displaying a total disregard for anyone's well-being, exploiting the desperados who 'sign up for it'.

Lay the landmines, cover with bait, film the explosions and watch the money pour in.

They've either learned nothing from Shabaz, Shilpa Shetty, Emily and all the other controversies that demeaned the show for regular viewers like me. Or they just don't give a shit.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif
  • essexboyashessexboyash Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB That may be what morons do but most of us try to minimse comflict and get on even when we don't like people. Even Hazel and Gina needed to be pushed to get into arguements.

I like seeing a fuller range of human interaction than battling for dominance. If you can't imagine anything else then I pity you.

Exactly. You don't need to see everyone being all airey fairy and friendly like a holiday camp for there to not be an arguement. There is more out there than just rows and arguements. Its moronic.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks OP. I've been thinking this too. Allow me to get some stuff off my chest.

I don't have too much of a problem with them manipulating footage, tasks or evictions to keep it entertaining. It needs to maintain momentum. And having gone so far by series 5 from the original socio-psychological brief, there was no way it could go back.

The problem for me is that the definition of 'entertainment' this year has been revolting: appealing to viewers' basest instincts; appealing to a vocal majority (?) who seem to enjoy hating others or seeing them humiliated, and not in that fun 'dress them as a chicken' way. It's been horribly evident on this forum but like a car crash I couldn't tear myself away.
      It wasn't entertaining for Wolfy to be told what the public thought of her. It was cruel.
      It wasn't entertaining to pair Daley and Hazel in the safe house. It was incendiary and downright sociopathic given they had his girlfriend on 3 days earlier.
      It wasn't entertaining to allow Gina and Dexter to make up cruel headlines that hurt the HM's feelings or made them anxious. It was unnecessary.
      It wasn't entertaining to tell the HMs how popular they were in an attempt to ruffle them. It was an exercise in creating arrogance or anxiety.
      It wasn't entertaining to allow viewers to punish housemates and vote them as 'Most [insert insult]'. It was pandering to medieval 'put them in the stocks' thinking. And it should have been aborted the minute they knew one particular HM (Hazel) was going to incur the lion's share.
      It wasn't entertaining to let the F & Fs cut loose on this already inflamed environment. It was antagonistic and divisive.
      It wasn't entertaining to have Hazel do a voiceover right after an argument with Gina that was designed to incite bitching, then put Gina in a BB-sanctioned bully role complete with croney, able to administer a painful punishment the next day. It was calculated to cause more division, created 3 days of gruelling unpleasant conflict for both women.
      And it most certainly isn't entertaining for anyone who isnt a moron or a villain themself to week in and week out allow a crowd to boo, jeer, chant, and insult HMs who've done not much more than be frail and very very human. It's debasing, humiliating and deeply unpleasant. Roman Colosseum writ modern day.

I don't enjoy feeling dislike for people. It's not good for the soul. And I need it to be countered with good, fun, positive feelings or I just get quite stressed. Some people on here are clearly different, judging by the at times rabid posting against a particular HM, especially Hazel and their bizarre enjoyment of her treatment by the main show and BBOTS (last night's bizarre 'worst bits' complete with exorcist voice and demon eyes being a case in point - the moment this show finally jumped the shark).

To dismiss criticism on the grounds that it's "just a gameshow" is seriously misplaced. Its only resemblance to a gameshow is that there is a winner and a prize. In all other ways, it's a manipulated 'unpopularity contest'. At least Vote to Save plays on a slightly kinder instinct.

That VTE was resurrected tells me a lot about the values of the people in charge. They've allowed the whole enterprise to be controlled by viewers' loathing or love of a handful of HMs. Pandering and displaying a total disregard for anyone's well-being, exploiting the desperados who 'sign up for it'.

Lay the landmines, cover with bait, film the explosions and watch the money pour in.

They've either learned nothing from Shabaz, Shilpa Shetty, Emily and all the other controversies that demeaned the show for regular viewers like me. Or they just don't give a shit.

Great post Scarlet . We should send it to those running C5 and let them know how far they've ruined what was once a great show .

What has also ruined the show for me is that they have destroyed one of the fundamental principles of the show i.e No External Feedback and to see how they acted when all this was denied them .

To quote poster AnThropologist This year the interference has reached such ridiculous levels that they might as well have installed a phone and had the papers delivered each morning
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    Great post Scarlet . We should send it to those running C5 and let them know how far they've ruined what was once a great show .

What has also ruined the show for me is that they have destroyed one of the fundamental principles of the show i.e No External Feedback and to see how they acted when all this was denied them .

To quote poster AnThropologist This year the interference has reached such ridiculous levels that they might as well have installed a phone and had the papers delivered each morning

Yep. I said in another thread they might as well let them go over Tesco next door and do their own shopping each week. They could chat to the other shoppers, have a quick Costa and flick through Now/Heat/Ok/Chav Weekly while they enjoy their latte and panini just to see how they're doing.

Would that be any worse than what's happening now?

And great post Scarlet btw
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    I think this post is absolutely correct, this series started off excellently but now it is leaving me with bad feelings about BB in general. The general bias against Hazel was glaringly obvious.

I am not saying that Hazel didn't have her low points as well, I didn't like her behavior when flirting with Daley and I didn't like when she got angry at Charlie, nor all this childish bickering with Gina recently but there is only so much crap a person can take isn't there?

The recent tasks have been all for causing conflict as well, pitting Dexter and Callum against each other and since the Gina and Hazel thing was hitting its peak, BB gave Gina 2 tasks in under 2 weeks that allowed her to single out a housemate. That for me just shows favoritism towards Gina which is obviously going to cause conflict between her and Hazel.

Again, I don't think Hazel always behaved perfectly but I think she generally coped well with all the crap she was given in that house which was definitely BB's plan.

I completely agree with all of this post. I also agree with the OP, although I have watched every BB in it's entirity since BB3,and while I was delighted that C5 took it over when Channel 4 decided to drop it, I am very disappointed to say it is now just a complete bastardisation of the original concept of the show. I fully realise that all programming has to evolve and move with the times, but this year has been just a few steps too far with interference and manipulation. I fear I just may have outgrown it now, and like a lot of others I find more entertainment on this forum than I do on the show itself.

However, I would be lying if I said I won't watch anymore as I most likely will, but sometimes the nastiness gets too much both here and on the show, so I might have to think about whether I will bother commenting with support of any one housemate again, it's far less stressful to keep a neutral stance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because a SMALL PORTION, and it is small, of people on the forum don't like the show doesn't mean it has been very well received. The ratings testify on this.
  • rachael7rachael7 Posts: 1,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you and the OP ,
    I was a avid Gina fan and was enjoying the early part of the show,the last two weeks have been horrendous ,to much manipulation in the tasks, bad edits and a lot of victimization.
    It was leaving a nasty taste and no fun.
    Even the forum was rubbish,personal attacks .on HMs looks etc.
    I have even noticed a lot of good posters have had very little input of late and must be feeilng like I do.
    I really do not care who wins this year.

I agree with the OP (even though she tortures locusts ;)) and i feel exactly the same as ^.
    Was a Gina fan but didn't watch last nights eviction, obviously it was gonna be Hazel. The treatment that girl received in the house was appalling and i certainly wasn't going to delight in her exit to the baying mob.
    This years BB has been particularly nasty with tasks set up to virtually encourage HMs to bully!
    Yes, the dreaded B word that has provided mass media attention over the years, surely Endemol couldn't be THAT contemptible, could they?
    Bullying
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's funny. The OP posted about three weeks ago that they wouldn't be watching again. I assume they just cant help themselves.
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have flounced and stropped for years about something or other. I am still watching (although I have switched off during a couple of the series).
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thank You for articulating everything I wish I could.You have put your points accross succintly and with integrity ..the BB production team could take a lesson from you. Bravo:) I truly applaud you Scarlet O

p.s. I won't be tuning in to next years debacle either
  • Miranda123Miranda123 Posts: 1,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Secrets and Lies? Favourites and Rows is more what it seems to me.

I enjoyed it at first but as the series has progressed I've found myself at first irritated, then upset and finally disgusted by the sexism, the favouritism, the manipulation and the bias. The presenters and the returning psychologists on BOTS have at times left me feeling sick, Judy James' description of Hazel as a woman who would hump a chair leg and Emma Willis grinning like a moron as Hazel was described as being like a **** are two particulat lowlights but there are plenty of others. I stopped watching BOTS first and it wasn't any sacrifice. I thought I'd miss it but twice I just switched off half way through and after that I didn't bother any more.

As for the main show, the recent tasks have all been designed with the intention of causing conflict. I simply don't find watching a bunch of people in a small physical space being manipulated into childish arguments entertaining. I stopped watching earlier this week and haven't bothered since. Didn't see any of it today and can't be bothered to watch the catch up show.

Possibly some smart person will say this is all because I'm a Hazel fan so let me say that I don't actually like any of the housemates much. I do think that Hazel has had a lot of crap thrown at her that she wouldn't have got if she was a man.

I hope the BB team read this but I don't think they'll much care. I'm probably not the demographic they're looking for but they needn't worry. The show has left such a nasty taste in my mouth that I won't be watching again.

What a shame, you'll be sorely missed

unlike Hazel lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rachael7 wrote: »
    I agree with the OP (even though she tortures locusts ;)) and i feel exactly the same as ^.
    Was a Gina fan but didn't watch last nights eviction, obviously it was gonna be Hazel. The treatment that girl received in the house was appalling and i certainly wasn't going to delight in her exit to the baying mob.
    This years BB has been particularly nasty with tasks set up to virtually encourage HMs to bully!
    Yes, the dreaded B word that has provided mass media attention over the years, surely Endemol couldn't be THAT contemptible, could they?
    Bullying

Oh you missed a cracking show, the crowd treated Hazel the way she deserved and I cant wait for tonights show to see it all again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »

as ratings are up this year, I dont think they will take you seriously

Loving Emma, she is a STAR
  • quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda123 wrote: »
    Oh you missed a cracking show, the crowd treated Hazel the way she deserved and I cant wait for tonights show to see it all again

I think your posts show that BB plays to the lowest denominator now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makes me laugh and cringe reading the comments on this forum, it's like it's run by kids. Constant complaints about writing to Ofcom, forumers saying they are never watching again but then posting about the latest HL show two days later, people saying the production team are morons/should be sacked, and then add to that the constant gripes about the show being ruined.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel exactly the same Jessica. This is actually the first series I've watched since it switched to C5, and I'm wondering how much further it can veer from the original concept. Everything from the casting of people already involved in various areas of showbiz, the editing of the HL show into a soap opera with storylines, the lack of normal conversations between them that are shown so we really get to know all the aspects of their characters good and bad, the tasks they are given merely to provoke ill feeling between the eachother, the way BB reveal things the HMs have said constantly to the whole house, the amount of contact they have with the outside world. All of these things aren't BB to me and they're not what I watch the show for. Were the other C5 series' like this?

I'm watching until the end now because I've watched it for weeks but I have really lost interest. I don't bother with BOTS anymore (I could list my problems with that too) unless I just leave C5 on while doing something else.
  • CuBz90CuBz90 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody cares
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CuBz90 wrote: »
    I don't care

Fixed that for you
  • dawm123dawm123 Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can not disagree with any of that to be honest. Everything this year seems to be driven by the need to fuel housemate's dislike towards each other. I do not think following up a serious argument, between Hazel and Charlie with involvement by Gina, Sophie, The Twins and Dexter, the next day with a task designed to encourage Hazel to bitch about her fellow housemates, whilst simultaneously broadcasting that to the house, is a good move.

Then they follow that up with the weekly shopping task, where they purposely put a housemate of their choosing into the main authoritarian role, threw a bunch of rewards at her and gave her dominance over her housemates, all to continually drive the drama. That was the single greatest act of pure favouritism I have ever seen on this show over the years. I think the way the produces have handled the show this year has been terrible. They saw the popularity of the last Celebrity Big Brother with Heidi and Spencer vs Rylan and desperately tried to do the same with this one, trying to pair off as many housemates as they could and work them.
    well thats sad cos this year they have bent over backwards to give us all that peeps on line have suggested /asked for etc but there is no pleasing some is there and if you dont like this years then maybe its not the show for you at all, not every one likes everything but you have to take good with the bad and if you cannot then only one thing to say ---- bye see ya and all the best trying to find a show you do like
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the most none BB series of them all tbh.

ZERO contact with the outside world and all housemates treated equally is the way to go.

Stop manipulating and fixing things to the point were they may as well employ actors and give them a script.
  • ShadowTillNowShadowTillNow Posts: 2,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posts like this are so annoying. No one cares if you don't watch. Why did you have to announce it? No one cared when you stopped watching the first time around, so you can be sure the situation hasn't changed.
  • PollyusaPollyusa Posts: 7,062
    Forum Member
    It's a different show, definitely. BB obviously want to encourage conscious 'playing'. The housemates are pretty well kept abreast every week as to where they stand in the polls - who it is safe to row with and who it is safer to stay on the good side of. If they didn't know, for example, that Gina is the most popular, I think there would have been far more dissent over her spoilt behaviour in there. They have made her incredibly powerful. And Gina knew perfectly well that she could do what she liked to Hazel without adverse consequences.

Lining them up in order, phone calls, tennis balls, saying how the order they are saved, and Gina & Dexter watching the LF for a week. Not Big Brother