Series 5 - Masterchef Australia ...starts 15th Sept.

Comments

• shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't expecting Jules to go this early, but she had a nightmare elimination challenge.

I never understand though how they keep someone in who's meat is undercooked? Yes, it was cooked on the outsides, but if it's raw in the middle, they haven't cooked the whole thing properly.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Blokee wrote: »
    If I wasn't a big Gary/George/Matt fan and enjoy the judges I might be at the point where I chuck in MCA.

The waterworks/doing this for my family stuff is really starting to grate.

Also Jules and Samira were terrible today. Not sure I've seen anyone (bar the opening couple of weeks in a series where one or two are clearly out of their depth) be so frazzled and lost control so badly.

Are there any really good chefs in this season?

Absolutely agree with everything you said - as one poster
    mentioned - what a coincidence Jules had a letter in her pocket. I'm really liking Rishi - clever boy last night.:)

Agree with jimmypink too^^^ & I have done what you might.

Why didn't Samira cut her lamb at least in half?!:confused:
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    I am a little gutted that Julie went as she's been strong up until this point! I think Samira will be soon following as she fell apart too.

Rishi was clever to get through the auction but it was amusing when he called rabbit loins breasts!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uh. I knew Jules was doomed. I liked her. Samira is just grating on me now. Jules at least had positivity and was good in a team
  • Mer~maidMer~maid Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    If I wasn't a big Gary/George/Matt fan and enjoy the judges I might be at the point where I chuck in MCA.

The waterworks/doing this for my family stuff is really starting to grate.

Also Jules and Samira were terrible today. Not sure I've seen anyone (bar the opening couple of weeks in a series where one or two are clearly out of their depth) be so frazzled and lost control so badly.

Are there any really good chefs in this season?

Same here, I'm only watching out of loyalty now. The show used to have heart.
  • Mer~maidMer~maid Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    Uh. I knew Jules was doomed. I liked her. Samira is just grating on me now. Jules at least had positivity and was good in a team

Beats me how Samira is still in the comp. Her meltdown/tantrum last night was ridiculous. Surely being able to think on your feet and work under pressure is a necessity in a kitchen environment. I question which contestants are in it for the 15 mins of fame, and who are genuinely looking for a career in a professional kitchen.
    Forum Member

Exactly - it was just weird to see her collapse in a sobbing heap whereas We are so used to seeing Samira weeping to camera it seems (ok that might be a little unfair!!!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Had to laugh that the best "sob sob poor (little) me" story that Samira could come up with is that she's the only child of her family not to go to university:D

I'll have to re-watch the episode, but I thought I saw Lynton's t.shirt had a picture of Matt on it when they were first up in the gallery.
  • Quizzimodo1000Quizzimodo1000 Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    Yet another team challenge & a contrived one at that

First ad break & no sign of any cooking

Second add break & still no ovens switched on
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lynton could tickle my tummy to calm me down too if he wanted :)
  • BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically the team who actually did the better job with the ingredients they were given lost. They lost because Vern can't read a map.

I think that sums up MCA S5 for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had to laugh that the best "sob sob poor (little) me" story that Samira could come up with is that she's the only child of her family not to go to university:D

I'll have to re-watch the episode, but I thought I saw Lynton's t.shirt had a picture of Matt on it when they were first up in the gallery.

It was the legend that is Ron Burgundy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically the team who actually did the better job with the ingredients they were given lost. They lost because Vern can't read a map.

I'm pretty sure the judges chose blue because they said the flavours were more alive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Samira " next time follow me Rishi"
    Rishi " No way"

Watch as Samira shows her heels as she puts on a spurt up the hill to be the first driver to rev up:D:D:D

I love a good beetroot crisp and if it wasnt so late i would be in me kitchen peeling parsnips with the oven tray heating up nicely.

But really....... a team challenge to make a club sarnie??
    Seriously????
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why, rather than just follow Samira and beep and gesture out of the window at a car some way down the road and then continue to do so for what seemed like quite a distance even when it wasn't working, Rishi and the other car didn't just stop and turn round. I think Samira might have noticed that a bit more.
  • BlokeeBlokee Posts: 644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the judges chose blue because they said the flavours were more alive.

George said he chose red because they had done the better job. He didn't say he preferred their food. It was a team challenge where ingredients weren't identical and therefore it is hard to just say which the better dish was (I think it is fair to say blue's was the better dish) but blue had 32 extra minutes, all the first choices and still didn't actually serve food on time. In a normal challenge if your food isn't ready when the clock stops then you only serve up what is ready.

MCA has perhaps become too gimmacky - whilst I didn't mind the auction on Sun per se - Jules screwed herself but it meant she was at a significant disadvantage for reasons not food related but due to being a bad bidder at an auction.
  • Tortilla ChipsTortilla Chips Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    You made a sandwich, congratulations you're into the top 10 :rolleyes:
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmypink wrote: »
    Genuine? Give me strength! And that auction thing is just a farce.

Like most, I know these competition type shows are engineered and are made to suit the production company and viewing figures. But this season has gone too far, this is no longer a COOKING show, more like those old fashioned kid's knock out games shows which used to be on a saturday morning.

Shame though, I liked to think they pretended it was about cooking but I can't any more. I might throw the towel in and just go online tonight to find out who gets the title.:mad:

It wasn't unusual in past seasons to have challenges that involved more than cooking. There were challenges in Hong Kong (S1), Paris (S2) and New York (S3) where teams had to run around gathering ingredients, then find their way to a kitchen and cook dishes. If they weren't good navigators they lost cooking time.

I liked the auction challenge. It was something new and interesting. It had a number of competing factors for contestants to consider with their bids.

MCA has never been only about cooking.
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I don't know why, rather than just follow Samira and beep and gesture out of the window at a car some way down the road and then continue to do so for what seemed like quite a distance even when it wasn't working, Rishi and the other car didn't just stop and turn round. I think Samira might have noticed that a bit more.

Than was exactly my thought!!!!
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solarflare wrote: »

I wondered why on what appeared to be a pretty quiet road he didn't overtake Samira and stop to tell her to turn around

Then again, Samira must be in the zone when driving to not hear Rishi constantly beeping the horn
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    triton333 wrote: »
    It wasn't unusual in past seasons to have challenges that involved more than cooking. There were challenges in Hong Kong (S1), Paris (S2) and New York (S3) where teams had to run around gathering ingredients, then find their way to a kitchen and cook dishes. If they weren't good navigators they lost cooking time.

I liked the auction challenge. It was something new and interesting. It had a number of competing factors for contestants to consider with their bids.

MCA has never been only about cooking.

I said above that I thought the auction thingy was a farce - by which I meant, in the context of the whole Jules exit, that it wasn't a genuine error by Jules but that the elimination had been engineered - for whatever reason, perhaps at her request to quit but 'going down fighting' looked better and it suited the producers? I'm probably overly suspicious but her sharp deterioration was, to me, suspect. She had previously come across as competent and good under pressure but then suddenly turned into a rabbit in the headlights with the counting skills of a two year old. Then, with all that time at the sidelines to plan how to cook some crayfish in 30 mins, she somehow doesn't. Then her cooked crayfish meat is deemed edible but worse than a lump of raw lamb which was inedible. ?

I think that particular auction was a farce. The idea may work in the future - it's rather like losing bidders end up with a mystery box - but it should be structured so that any contestant is left with sufficient time to cook whatever ingredients are on offer.

I've watched every series and, to me, MCA has been about cooking. Running around to get your ingredients, whether from the pantry or the vast Moroccon or wherever market, is about cooking. And they didn't used to spend so much time on it, or restrict their choices quite so much. We had a lot more individual challenges by this stage and saw a lot more inventiveness and proper cooking - not pizzas and chicken drum sticks and other excuses for no talent.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought they were setting that up for the reds to win given how good the blues had done earlier on. Happy the blues did, I far preferred that team.

Lynton the goat whisperer :D
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    I was surprised by the outcome yesterday, I MUCH prefer the blue team, BUT I felt the reds did way beter. The reds had way less time and the more difficult ingredients and worked fabulously together as a team and were ready on time.
    Also the blue team did not make a club sandwich. They made a breaded chicken sandwich.
    Still whatever, this show jumped the shark Along time ago, it really is so ridiculous at this point. About 10 mins cooking in yesterday's show :o
    The trailer for this evenings show looks like alot more tears and breakdowns.
    I wish they would just get on with it. :(

I like Linton the best. Most of them seem quite inept.
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    I thought they were setting that up for the reds to win given how good the blues had done earlier on. Happy the blues did, I far preferred that team.

Lynton the goat whisperer :D

I completely fell in love... ok well lust with Lynton and his goat-whisperer-deal. I almost wet myself laughing when Christina was saying that the goat was picking up Rishi's Goat-Eating vibe!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I was casually browsing through a TV mag on the weekend and happened to notice a little box advertising this week's MasterChef Oz episodes. The buggers happened to mention something that is happening this week, which wasn't very sportsmanlike of them!

It's not a major spoiler (as in, who wins, who's eliminated etc), but don't read it if you like to watch the show knowing nothing in advance...
    Apparently a dozen or so of the eliminated contestants get to cook for a chance to come back into the competition. I remember them doing that before (series 2?) and it was not at all popular with the guys who were still in. Kelty will probably have a moangasm.