Options

Is Luke Friend really the Dark Horse?

alexjr2alexjr2 Posts: 74
Forum Member
I have got to admit, after Luke Friend's first audition I was not expecting much more form him, but after two good performance I am beginning to see him as a possible semi-finalist. The judges think he is the dark horse of the competition but I am not so sure. My money is still on a female to win.

Can't help thinking with that hair how much he looks like a girl, and this might be the reason why he won't win. He won't get a wide enough share of the votes.

Comments

• Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten him till I saw your threat. Maybe if he had the last slot one week it might help.
  • Options
    abcdabcd Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hes certainly the most improved since the first live show, however he hasnt got the stand out vocal balad performance in him needed to pull in the floating voters
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was, but aren't dark horses the product of speculation (i.e. if you establish someone as a dark horse, they're no longer one)?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^indeed - the fact that has been identified so many times as a dark horse sort of makes him not a dark horse.

I think he was always a contender - he is coming across as a nice guy, improving every week, extremely marketable, sings a 'cool' style of music - he's simon cowell's dream contestant.
  • Options
    elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what he'd look like with short hair.

I wish he'd lose the beads.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think so.

I was entirely indifferent towards him until last week, when he gave my favourite performance of the night. Then last night he was in my top 2, along with Sam B.
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is creeping up the stakes
  • Options
    patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't noticed him much until last week when I thought he was the best of the night. If he gets the right songs he could go far as he seems to have gained in confidence when performing.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If by dark horse, you mean 'oven ready lasagne'.....then yes, I don't think he's going to sell an awful lot.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In response to those sorts of suggestions, I could imagine Nicole telling Hannah "Luke may be the dark horse in this competition but you're my Black Beauty!".
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    I still think we haven't seen the winner YET on the lives. I still think Melanie is to come back. One week before the final and take the crown. Queen Mel x
  • Options
    EpicEastendersEpicEastenders Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's going to win it. When the poll went up for the final 12, Luke had the nearest percentage Little Mix did 2 years ago. I only looked back because I had a feeling an under dog would win it this year!
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tamera and Hannah most likely won't win.
    Rough copy most likely wont.
    Sam C wont.
    Doesn't look like Abi will.

So we have....Nicholas, Luke Friend and Sam Bailey. Out of those 3, who would win? Probably Sam B? I think the dark horse is Abi, in all fairness. She was actually really good this week.
  • Options
    steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always felt he is the dark horse. Many people on here etc were not expecting him to last that long,

IMO he will follow the path of marcus & make final.He isnt hated but isnt loved either he will float on by unnoticed & but unlike marcus i could see him picking up the voters to creep across the finish line.

As i could see the producers deciding he is the One come top 5/6
  • Options
    magicmelodymagicmelody Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has something which makes him stand out. He reminds me of Zac from Hanson.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This new "dark horse" tag seems to mean "yeah, we will push you, but not all the way unless all our earlier plans fail miserably."
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^indeed - the fact that has been identified so many times as a dark horse sort of makes him not a dark horse.

I think he was always a contender - he is coming across as a nice guy, improving every week, extremely marketable, sings a 'cool' style of music - he's simon cowell's dream contestant.

I agree with this.

In the four years (three completed seasons) I've been watching, the slightly unusual boy has won twice (Cardle and Arthur) and the pretty boys/girls have come nowhere. Luke stood out for me from the room audition and I've long thought he was most likely to win. Luke is "very on-trend", but his style seems much more his own than it is Top Shop. His voice is good enough and he is hugely personable. They are finally finding songs that work for him too - he could end up the only up-tempo singer on the show and the audience does get tired of ballads. Of course, Aiden had many of the same virtues and he went out quite early, but he was up against Matt Cardle, Luke's only competition is Mammy's Boy Nick. If you were a 13 year old girl who's poster would you want on the wall?
  • Options
    shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what he'd look like with short hair.

I wish he'd lose the beads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALMO38VhLXw
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Horse? Neigh-ver :D
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with this.

In the four years (three completed seasons) I've been watching, the slightly unusual boy has won twice (Cardle and Arthur) and the pretty boys/girls have come nowhere. Luke stood out for me from the room audition and I've long thought he was most likely to win. Luke is "very on-trend", but his style seems much more his own than it is Top Shop. His voice is good enough and he is hugely personable. They are finally finding songs that work for him too - he could end up the only up-tempo singer on the show and the audience does get tired of ballads. Of course, Aiden had many of the same virtues and he went out quite early, but he was up against Matt Cardle, Luke's only competition is Mammy's Boy Nick. If you were a 13 year old girl who's poster would you want on the wall?

I wouldn't describe Matt as a slightly unusual boy, in my opinion he was presented as a handsome guy with a great voice, not unusual in the slightest. Aiden was the "unusual" boy from that year, and I think Luke will follow a fairly similar trajectory to his, although I will admit that Luke seems to be getting stronger as the competition goes on, whilst Aiden always had a difficult time matching his first performance, so he might last a bit longer than Aiden did. But not much, IMO. I predict he'll be gone before the semi-finals.
  • Options
    ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    dark horse...nar, he is not an all-rounder.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    I agree with this.

Totally agree with you and I also picked him out straight away as he stood out and was different, similarly I did the same with James Arthur last year and won some good money backing him long before the live shows and at great odds.

Luke certainly has the talent as some of his youtube video's already show and week by week he is getting stronger and gaining in popularity with social media sites, facebook likes etc, very similar to James Arthur.

Out of all the other possible winners, most of them have already peaked hence the changes in the odds, lots of money for Rough Copy after week 1, then Tamera and now Sam B but I think we have already seen the best that they can do.....Luke I feel is only getting better and better week by week which is another similarity he has with James Arthur.

I hope I am right as I will win a few quid on Luke, but also he is the main act that I look forward to seeing now
  • Options
    David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't describe Matt as a slightly unusual boy, in my opinion he was presented as a handsome guy with a great voice, not unusual in the slightest. Aiden was the "unusual" boy from that year, and I think Luke will follow a fairly similar trajectory to his, although I will admit that Luke seems to be getting stronger as the competition goes on, whilst Aiden always had a difficult time matching his first performance, so he might last a bit longer than Aiden did. But not much, IMO. I predict he'll be gone before the semi-finals.

Cardle was old - they changed the rules to get him into the boys - and he was scruffy and unfashionable. He was presented as somebody with zero confidence or stage presence, not your typical star.
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No not anymore, he is a frontrunner now