Options

Labyrinthitis

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anyone else been diagnosed with this ever? I just have and I've literally been in bed this week lying very very still.

I ventured out to the shop yesterday as I had no food and fell over twice; luckily the girl in the shop knows me.

How long until it goes away? How long have people been off work with it? It's horrible and I want it to stop! >:(:cry:

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine had it over Xmas. She was so poorly with it, she couldn't come to a luncheon party.

You can get pills for it. Antihistamines and antibiotics. There are also exercises you can do to help you get better.

It takes 2 weeks to a month to get better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it's histamines not anti-!! The doc gave me some of them along with some anti-sickness pills that just space me out.

I'm never off sick - but this has genuinely floored me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful illness, I get it two or three times a year. It is terrible!
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to give it a few weeks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope so, I feel awful :(

It was a nightmare trying to have a shower yesterday!!
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband first had it many years ago and it was awful. He still gets it mildly every now and then.

I feel for you.
  • Options
    GemofaBirdGemofaBird Posts: 1,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was prescribed betahistine dihydrochloride, they took the dizziness away completely, I get recurrences every now and again but never as bad as the first time which lasted for about 4 months
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a terrible illness. I woke up with it one Saturday morning about nine years ago. My husband and myself were so concerned about what was happening to me (I thought I had had a stroke) that we called an ambulance. I was laying in the bed but felt as if I was falling off it again and again.

I had another bout of it after having an operation just over three years ago. I can't take the tablets that help it as I have "restless legs syndrome" and the tablets make that so bad that it is unbearable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh this is driving me potty now. I'm going back to the GP tomorrow as the tablets aren't really doing much.

I might be stuck like this forever :(
  • Options
    DallyDally Posts: 468
    Forum Member
    Hi. Poor you. I had this a couple of years ago. I was bed bound for a week and prescribed anti sickness tablets. Very scary when I first woke up. Called the doctor out. Threw up twice before he arrived and was not best placed to clear up ... Was more mobile in the second week. I just took care when using stairs etc. Did not feel totally secure when crossing the road etc till 4 weeks later. But was only really totally incapacitated for a week. I'm alarmed to read about it reoccurring though .. yikes.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else been diagnosed with this ever? I just have and I've literally been in bed this week lying very very still.

I ventured out to the shop yesterday as I had no food and fell over twice; luckily the girl in the shop knows me.

How long until it goes away? How long have people been off work with it? It's horrible and I want it to stop! >:(:cry:

Yes, I have had labyrinthitis before, and it is horrible.

I also have an inner ear disorder which has caused me a lot of problems in my lifetime.

Hope you'll soon be feeling better.