Top Gear

Comments

• Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great episode.

One of the few times I did not fast forward through the star in a car segment. Will Smith is always good value. :)

LOL. I always do that.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    I was wondering if there was anyone who when buying a car for a hundred grand or so bothers going for the "base" model at £90k rather than the fully specced version at £120k?
  • dachoccydudedachoccydude Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched this week's episode.. I'm surprised that people are saying they found the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment was a good bit. Generally I don't mind Will Smith, his movies, his songs or his interviews, and I'm very familiar with Margot as I'm a huge Neighbours fan. But I found the interview a bit boring.

Margot's mic seemed a bit broken and it kept getting quiet in places. She seemed a bit giggly and kept putting her hand over her mouth (which may have added to her mic problems), and despite working with Will Smith for 7 months on the movie, seemed to fawn over him like she'd only just met him and was apologetic for going faster than him.

The clips from the movie they're promoting were just okay, although that is probably the movie studio's fault more than it is Top Gear's, the BBCs or Will and Margot's, and although I don't like it when the stars are there because they've got a film to promote, there wasn't much discussion about it (two sentences from Will, nothing from Margot), and there was in fact more discussion about Neighbours and soaps, which Margot left in 2011, and songs that Will put out in 1997. :yawn:

Compared to the last time they had two movie co-stars (Tom Cruise - who I actually dislike - and Cameron Diaz) I thought it was poor, the two guests had no chemistry, they didn't seem excited to be there or take part. It just wasn't fun. Uncomfortable, almost. Also, although it was in a different car, when they took part Cameron broke the record, immediately followed by Tom doing the same. It would have been nice if Clarkson could have referenced that in some way, asked them if they thought they could do the same or something. But no. The best we got from Clarkson was a joke about him leching over Margot when she got naked in Wolf of Wall Street. :blush:
  • marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mewikime wrote: »
    Just watched this week's episode.. I'm surprised that people are saying they found the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment was a good bit. Generally I don't mind Will Smith, his movies, his songs or his interviews, and I'm very familiar with Margot as I'm a huge Neighbours fan. But I found the interview a bit boring.

Margot's mic seemed a bit broken and it kept getting quiet in places. She seemed a bit giggly and kept putting her hand over her mouth (which may have added to her mic problems), and despite working with Will Smith for 7 months on the movie, seemed to fawn over him like she'd only just met him and was apologetic for going faster than him.

The clips from the movie they're promoting were just okay, although that is probably the movie studio's fault more than it is Top Gear's, the BBCs or Will and Margot's, and although I don't like it when the stars are there because they've got a film to promote, there wasn't much discussion about it (two sentences from Will, nothing from Margot), and there was in fact more discussion about Neighbours and soaps, which Margot left in 2011, and songs that Will put out in 1997. :yawn:

Compared to the last time they had two movie co-stars (Tom Cruise - who I actually dislike - and Cameron Diaz) I thought it was poor, the two guests had no chemistry, they didn't seem excited to be there or take part. It just wasn't fun. Uncomfortable, almost. Also, although it was in a different car, when they took part Cameron broke the record, immediately followed by Tom doing the same. It would have been nice if Clarkson could have referenced that in some way, asked them if they thought they could do the same or something. But no. The best we got from Clarkson was a joke about him leching over Margot when she got naked in Wolf of Wall Street. :blush:

I liked it.
    I even thought 'that reminds me of the Cruise/Diaz bit' which i loved.
    Apart from the last part for the reveal of the times, i felt the same vibe as the other two.
    Funny how people see things in a different way!
  • joel turcottejoel turcotte Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see more realistic car features as well , but I presume TG knows its market. The old Top Gear didn't get recommissioned for a reason. Similarly, 5th Gear seems to have gone.

5th Gear returns Thursday 5th March on History Channel.

I normally watch it with the subtitles on and sound muted.
    I just can't put up with that awful sub-Lou Reed Street Hassle cello looping that they put all through each episode. Hopefully they will ditch it for the new series.
    To be fair to Top Gear the music is more varied and imaginative and the photography is always superb.
    Never miss either show but silencing that 5th Gear music is essential.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5th Gear returns Thursday 5th March on History Channel.
    Errr.. what? Are they only going to be featuring cars from before the 70's?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Errr.. what? Are they only going to be featuring cars from before the 70's?
    I assume you've not watched the channel in a while. It's back to back reality tv series.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh for Gawd sake.. Not Olly Murrs AGAIN >:(
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    Oh for Gawd sake.. Not Olly Murrs AGAIN >:(
    ??? I honestly can't remember him being the SiARPC before, am I missing something here...??
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I assume you've not watched the channel in a while. It's back to back reality tv series.

The had the X-Files on on Christmas Day. Comedy Central had a Star Trek film on the other night too.
  • RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    ??? I honestly can't remember him being the SiARPC before, am I missing something here...??

I meant on TV again.. Not Star in the car..
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    I meant on TV again.. Not Star in the car..
    Thanks for pointing that out, thought I was losing the plot. Will be a good time to make a cuppa when he's on.
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Oh no Wally Murs now.
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's 5 minutes of the mute button! They clearly spent all their celeb budget on Will Smith last week.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    Oh no Wally Murs now.

No idea who he is but he has a very silly voice.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in HMV when this gimp was doing a signing. Teenage girls everywhere blocking the DVD/BR racks as they queued - ****ing annoying.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I was wondering if there was anyone who when buying a car for a hundred grand or so bothers going for the "base" model at £90k rather than the fully specced version at £120k?

I always wonder that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no :(
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,281
    Forum Member
    1.44.6, fastest ever Olly Murs apparently!
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,951
    Forum Member
    I can't have Olly Murs as the fastest celeb. I hope they have some decent drivers lined up before the end of this series.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here come the complaints...
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Peugeot board meeting was hilarious!
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,951
    Forum Member
    France will have us thrown out the EU for that.
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why they aren't driving properly? Lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get this. Although then again, I do drive a Peugeot.
This discussion has been closed.