Options

No 5.1 sound through pc?

Hello all. Can anyone please help me with an audio issue I have with my new tower? I recently purchased from Tesco Direct a new Zoostorm tower. It's cheap I know but for my uses it should be fine. The issue I have is when I connect my 5.1 speakers to the 3 inputs at the rear (line in, line out & mic) I only appear to get 3.1 sound, 2x front, center & sub. This is exactly the same configuration of phono's as with my last tower, which also only had the 3 at the rear. I've set as best I know the settings through Realtek audio manager which gives different reults again. When I do a surround sound tone test, the tone only comes out correctly for the front left. What should be the tone for front right comes out of the center & sub and again nothing from the rears. I double checked the speaker connections to make sure they are working and correct. I do run a line out to an external amp via a splitter also and I'm running on Windows 8.1. So there you have my quandty. Any helps guys in solving this would be most appreciated so thankyou in advance.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you absolutely certain that the PC can actually do 5.1 surround? If it does then the jacks on the back should be labelled accordingly. The fact they appear to be labelled Line In. Line Out and Mic suggests the PC may only do stereo sound.

Unless there is a second set of labels on those sockets that show which socket is L/R Front, which is L/R Rear and which Centre/Sub.

It could be that the sound chipset in the PC is only stereo and that the only sound comes out of the Line Out jack.

What is the exact model number of the PC as that will help work out what is going on.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have quite a new PC but don't think it has a optical out like my laptop does as never seen any red light from it.
    though my 7870 tahiti le has HDMI out which goes to my AVR and 7.1 then works if I plug HDMI in.
    I also have to use these settings to give me the HD audio
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/355/19048106729_d3ecaf897e_o.jpg
    Took me some time to figure out LOL.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Thanks chrisjr, I will look it up later and get back to you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have quite a new PC but don't think it has a optical out like my laptop does as never seen any red light from it.
    though my 7870 tahiti le has HDMI out which goes to my AVR and 7.1 then works if I plug HDMI in.
    I also have to use these settings to give me the HD audio
    https://farm1.staticflickr.com/355/19048106729_d3ecaf897e_o.jpg
    Took me some time to figure out LOL.

???????????????????????????????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kopite 64 wrote: »
    Thanks chrisjr, I will look it up later and get back to you

There isn't much information about individual Zoostorm models on their website. But what little there is suggests to me that a system with 5.1 sound would have five jack sockets. Three Line Outs, Line In and Mic In.

The three line outs give you the six channels of 5.1 surround. So there is a possibility that a PC with only a single Line Out is stereo only unless the Line In and Mic In sockets are multi function and can be switched to become the additional Line Outs required to do 5.1 surround.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't say it has 5.1 sound, so it probably doesn't!
    Sound Card Integrated high definition audio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Stig. That said, is having an appropriate sound card fitted. A complex or costly after sales job to have done?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unfortunately not.

The amount of detail on the Zoostorm website is possibly even less than the Tesco website! And there is no detailed specification or even a specific manual for that model that I can find.

The one and only "manual" (it barely deserves the name!) for Zoostorm desktop PCs is so generic as to be about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. As I posted earlier all it does suggest is that those models with surround sound may have five jack sockets on the back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Stig. That said, is having an appropriate sound card fitted. A complex or costly after sales job to have done?

Depending on how easy it is to whip off a side panel on the PC and what spare expansion slots are available on the motherboard it should be a very simple job to fit a soundcard.

Most modern PCs will have PCIe expansion slots these days so that is most likely what is fitted to your machine. So all you have to do is buy whatever PCIe slot soundcard fits your wallet and needs and whip the side off the PC, plug in card, put side back on PC power up and install the necessary drivers. Job done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Your so right about the manual, useless. I downloaded the pdf version which is no better. So I've been in touch with Zoostorm via their customer services so will await their response. I'll look into the new soundcard while I wait. Many thanks