FIFA Women World Cup Canada:Coverage.

Comments

• Night OwlNight Owl Posts: 191
    Forum Member

they should scrap the 3rd place play off in all competitions. Nobody wants to win 3rd and it must be hellish to play as well when all you want to do is get home. If England's men were in such a match I doubt I'd watch it

I agree. I will be watching it but won't be enjoying it particularly. I shall be looking forward to watching the women's FA cup final on 1st August though, live on BBC 1. If people on here are serious about watching more womens football then this would be a good one to watch.

I don't have a local ladies team to watch and would have to travel to London to see the nearest (in WSL 1 or 2), what with travel it would make it pretty expensive, especially as I don't own my own company ;-)
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Who do you think was the best player at the WWC?

I see Lucy Bronze has been nominated and rightly so in my eyes.

And who was the best goalkeeper? (Or should that be 'least worst', NiteOwl12?? :D )

Be interesting to see who wins what.

Guardian

Good list overall. Glad to see Amandine Henry for France. Happy Bronze is on the short list but mildly surprised Houghton isn't on it too. England is the only one of the last four not to have at least two for consideration.

Sasic may win the Golden Boot but she hasn't been the best player let alone forward at the World Cup. She will have literally Ivory Coasted to the Boot. I think the player that impressed me the most was Henry for France. I think Johnston and Miyama are probably the front runners to win the Golden Ball right now.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    NiteOwl12 wrote: »
    It is shocking to see the bias in FIFA against England; I felt sure Bardsley would have been a shoo-in for the Golden Glove award (actually she did fine in the semi-final, best forget about the rest). My vote would have to go to Hope Solo for the golden glove award: I have no doubt she spooked Sasic leading to her missing the penalty - who knows how the match would have finished if Sasic had scored what would have been the first goal of the game.

I don't think there has been a stand out outfield player, to be honest. I agree Lucy Bronze has had a good tournament for England and we weren't the same when she had to leave the pitch in the semi-final, but the best of them all? Depending on how she performs in the final, I would lean toward Megan Rapinoe. I couldn't choose a Japanese outfield player - they were collectively and individually nothing special at all against England in the semi-final.

:o:o:o:o:o

Didn't you say we'd lose to Japan if Bardsley played? Though, in the end, she could hardly be held responsible for the defeat.

I agree about Solo's mind games and was looking to Bardsley to do something similar against Japan but she didn't.

From what I've seen of the USA - which isn't a lot to be fair - I'd say that the clean sheets are largely down to the USA's defence rather than Solo. Not to take anything away from her though.

I also agree about there not really being a stand out outfield player..

Andrade entertained us, Johnstone (from what I've seen) has been solid. Apart from one instance where she did not appear to trust her 'keeper.

Hedeberg has played above her years

Laudehr has impressed me as well as Sameshima though England managed to keep her quiet in the semi.

None of whom are in the main list.

Be interesting to see who wins what.
  • HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,284
    Forum Member
    Good list overall. Glad to see Amandine Henry for France. Happy Bronze is on the short list but mildly surprised Houghton isn't on it too. England is the only one of the last four not to have at least two for consideration.

Sasic may win the Golden Boot but she hasn't been the best player let alone forward at the World Cup. She will have literally Ivory Coasted to the Boot. I think the player that impressed me the most was Henry for France. I think Johnston and Miyama are probably the front runners to win the Golden Ball right now.

Yes, Houghton's been solid without being eye catching. Everyone's played their part, really. Not always well in my opinion but, nonetheless, they got to the semi final and should have gone further but didn't.

I hope they take Germany to the cleaners for a variety of reasons.

1. To shake off this psychological dominance that Germany seem to have over us

2. Revenge for the Wembley defeat

3. To finish on a high

4. To exorcise the Japan defeat

5. For Laura Bassett's sake.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish that I shared your enthusiasm about this, I really do.

This is part of the problem, how do you change that status, or should things just stay as they are for the rest of time?
    To improve the standard of the game even further, it needs to develop, and to do that requires it to move out of being a niche sport (or peoples perception of it as such), and into more of a mainstream sport.

The big question is how to do this?
    I am most certainly not an expert in this area, but I hope that someone comes along and finds a way to change this, as if they do, then perhaps, just perhaps, then we could see an end to people mocking women goalkeepers, or saying the standard is poor, as quite a few people do currently.

It is just about taking that next crucial step in the development of the game for women.

If the prices to games were like the rest or the vast majority of games in the Women's game, then yes I would go, and watch our team.
    The main reason at the moment that I don't go more often to the merns team is purely a financial one.

I have said previously that my womens team was Everton (as I say it is or was a choice between them and City), precisely because of this issue, of us not having a team, if we did, then there would be no issue for me to talk about.[

But Batdude, did you not say before that you go to lots of charity football matches and go to watch wrestling. Wrestling certainly is not a cheap thing to go and watch, trust me I know, and you also said you stay overnight in hotels.

Seems a bit odd, saying one thing and doing another.

Each to their own.
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    @Hieronymous

Yes, I did say England would lose to Japan if Bardsley played, but she was for once howler free - I hardly recognised her ;-)

Already seems an age ago.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What time is kick off for England v Germany?
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    9pm..
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on England, let's finish the tournament on a high, by beating Germany, as big an ask as that is!
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,948
    Forum Member
    9pm..
    Is it me or was it brought forward from midnight?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goesling :D
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    Is it me or was it brought forward from midnight?

Yeah it was originally midnight going from earlier schedules. Makes sense though given two European teams are playing.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So England v Germany and USA v Japan

It's world war 2 !.......:o

I heard on the radio this morning that they're referring to the final as 'Girl Harbour'......:D

the Japs expect to get going early only for the Yanks to land a couple of devastating blows in the last few minutes
    Forum Member
    Yeah it was originally midnight going from earlier schedules. Makes sense though given two European teams are playing.
    Ah right. Thanks for that. I'm not losing it!!
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    So England v Germany and USA v Japan

It's world war 2 !.......:o

I heard on the radio this morning that they're referring to the final as 'Girl Harbour'......:D

the Japs expect to get going early only for the Yanks to land a couple of devastating blows in the last few minutes
    What's interesting is that the last three big tournaments (world cups and Olympics) have all been USA vs Japan.
    Forum Member
    No Taylor, Duggan, or Kirby. Potter gets the start? Hmm...

Greenwood in for Rafferty. I'm ok with that esp. after Raff's last match. Greenwood provides nice crosses and does some of the set pieces. Just hope she does well on her defensive assignments.

Wow, Germany not starting Maier or Mittag. That's a big surprise. Those have been locked in starters for them. No Maroszan either. Popp knocked heads last match so a bit less surprised she's not in there. Certainly not the best 11 on paper for either side.
    Forum Member
    It's a shame Kirby is injured? We've not seen much of her but people appreciate her ability and would like to see her.
    Forum Member
    North Korean ref. :p
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    It's a shame Kirby is injured? We've not seen much of her but people appreciate her ability and would like to see her.

People have trouble marking her in the box. She a little elusive ninja in there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bit of needle there.......'afters' when the ball when out over the goal-line....
    Forum Member
    Houghton!!! :o

Back on the pitch just in the nick
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Germany should be about 4 up by now.......

But as they say, when you're on top you have to score.......

England have a shocking record against Germany........played 20, Won 0
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bronze!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    we should have scored there.......

England coming more into the game now