Dog scratching all the time!

quincemeisterquincemeister Posts: 199
Forum Member
Hi everyone

I think the thread title says it all really! We have a nearly 3-year old border collie who we rehomed about 4 months ago. He's a neutered male, if that has any relevance.

For the past week or so he has suddenly started scratching/chewing himself so often it's really noticeable! I'm getting worried there is something I'm missing so have posted in the hope fellow DS-ers can come up with something! For the record:

1. He was Frontlined about a week before this started; I have checked him all over for fleas/flea dirt and there is absolutely nothing to indicate he has fleas;
2. No dry skin, rash or anything to indicate why he is itchy;
3. This seems to be in several different areas and not just one - ankles, haunches, tummy etc;
4. We haven't started using any different chemicals eg floor cleaner recently so I don't think it could be that.

It hopefully goes without saying that should this continue he will be taken to the vet for a checkover, it's just that they charge a fortune and if anyone can come up with something I've missed before I have to fork out that would be great!

I should add he is happy and eating etc normally, if this was not the case he'd have been booked in at the vet without delay!

Many thanks for any ideas you may have.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Could it be stress or anxiety related? My pooch will sometimes nibble at herself when she isn't too happy with something or needs a run because she needs to burn off energy.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need to change anything for him to become allergic - Duncan became allergic to grass after 7 years ! Humans can suddenly bcome allergic too I was 49 before becoming allergic to all uncooked fruit !
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could it be grit, or rock salt from roads and pavements?

just as you mention his ankles and belly, i walk a lab who goes mental when she's walked through some

it may also be the change in the weather as i have an older collie who always starts itching at the changing of the seasons, we're not entirely sure why
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    xdow wrote: »
    it may also be the change in the weather as i have an older collie who always starts itching at the changing of the seasons, we're not entirely sure why

I itch too! It's the central heating - makes my skin all dry :rolleyes:
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try changing his food and give him Piriton to stop him itching.