Options

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Both Hands

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,216
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have any DS members had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands at the same time?

If they have, can you tell me your experiences and what treatment you had? and if it dealt with it.

I would like to know as I have it in both hands and would like to hear other people's experiences.

Thank you very much indeed.

Comments

• Options
    amw_99amw_99 Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Pna...
  • Options
    amw_99amw_99 Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Better! My mother had it for a while (only in one hand though, but hope the experience is still helpful?)

She found it very painful, and had to find strategies to work around it. (Mostly me- opening jars etc.) I think in the end she had a cortisone injection which was uncomfortable, but did the job for a while. She was also on steroids, but they didn't do much.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop doing shorthand.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had terrible RSI symptoms (Im not sure if that was the same) but once I got my posture correced it soon went. You need to have your keyboard and chair at a particlar height so that your wrists are straight, your elbows and knees are at right angles, your back and neck are straight etc etc.

It makes the world of difference. I didnt think it would but it cleared it up within days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Have any DS members had carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands at the same time?

If they have, can you tell me your experiences and what treatment you had? and if it dealt with it.

I would like to know as I have it in both hands and would like to hear other people's experiences.

Thank you very much indeed.

I don't have it, but the guy I share a workshop with had it in both hands. He had them both operated on (one at a time) and has had no problems since. He has just qualified as a teacher in one of the martial arts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not personal experience, but our cleaner at work had it in both hands.

She had them operated on separately, she was off work for six weeks each time and on light duties for about a month after each one - so she couldn't vacuum or carry anything heavy.

I talk to her most days and she's so pleased she had it done, she said one was more painful than the other afterwards but she was relieved once both had been sorted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it in both hands...when i was pregnant. They gave me splints to wear overnight and they helped to an extent. Disappeared within a few weeks of giving birth.

Any chance you could have a thyroid problem? I was told that thyroid disorders and carpal tunnel are strongly linked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dad had it in both hands but the left was worse than the right. He was given the option to have both operated on at the same time meaning he has to take less time off from work.

He opted to go just for the left one as the other eventually improved on its own. He was advised to stay off work for around a week after the operation (which took half a day, including rest time post op) but was up and running after 2 days.