Options

Dream liner is a nightmare

flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not shure if anyone has been ready about the problems that Boeing have had with the "dreamliner" which has become a nightmare for them.
Two airlines in japan have grounded there entire fleet.,this is after crackshave appeared in the cockpit amd various problems with fires ,mainly electrical.
This is very bad news because boeing had delayed deliver by many months because of problems with them getting enough air miles in to getthe FAA seal of approval !
Now it appears the every boeing 787 dream liner will have to be grounded. this also intern makes it very worrying about fly by wire technology.
This is in my opinion should never have been aprroved for any aircraft but both the european airbus and boeing have them

Comments

• Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am certain that while annoying for the airlines concerned, the various hiccups will be sorted out. As for delays, Boeing isnt alone in suffering from them, nor having teething troubles with a new system. You only have to cast your mind back to the serious delays in getting the A380 into production and later engine worries to show its not alone on that score.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not shure if anyone has been ready about the problems that Boeing have had with the "dreamliner" which has become a nightmare for them.
    Two airlines in japan have grounded there entire fleet.,this is after crackshave appeared in the cockpit amd various problems with fires ,mainly electrical.
    This is very bad news because boeing had delayed deliver by many months because of problems with them getting enough air miles in to getthe FAA seal of approval !
    Now it appears the every boeing 787 dream liner will have to be grounded. this also intern makes it very worrying about fly by wire technology.
    This is in my opinion should never have been aprroved for any aircraft but both the european airbus and boeing have them

Fly by wire has been on numerous aircraft for years. Non of the dreamliner faults are caused by this.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Eh? The faults have absolutely nothing to do with fly by wire! Fly by wire has been used since about the 30's!!

The faults appear to be with the batteries on the aircraft which when replace should bring an end to this.

The grounding of them is just to stop anything else happening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    I am certain that while annoying for the airlines concerned, the various hiccups will be sorted out. As for delays, Boeing isnt alone in suffering from them, nor having teething troubles with a new system. You only have to cast your mind back to the serious delays in getting the A380 into production and later engine worries to show its not alone on that score.

Indeed.

Pretty much every new aircraft has teething problems which are always sorted fast.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »

Having flown on that monstrosity i can say in my humble opinion i will never ever step foot on that tin coffin ever again.

I would love to fly on the Dreamliner though.
  • Options
    subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should seriously create the transporter system you see in Star Trek, with enough funding, it can be done, we have the brains, technology, etc...

or maybe they have created it and are not telling us...lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Having flown on that monstrosity i can say in my humble opinion i will never ever step foot on that tin coffin ever again.

I loved it!

What didn't you like about it?
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weirdly enough, I was talking to my Uncle about the Dreamliner last week. Somehow, we went off on a tangent pondering the concept of aeroplanes with staircases. I have no idea why most of the ones flying West are the smaller ones. I wish we'd get more of the giant planes on this side. AirCanada put in an order for like, thirty seven of them. Hopefully we get them soon.

Anyway - I'm sure the Dreamliners would all be fixed up in no time. I'm rather excited for it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sweh wrote: »
    Weirdly enough, I was talking to my Uncle about the Dreamliner last week. Somehow, we went off on a tangent pondering the concept of aeroplanes with staircases. I have no idea why most of the ones flying West are the smaller ones. I wish we'd get more of the giant planes on this side. AirCanada put in an order for like, thirty seven of them. Hopefully we get them soon.

Anyway - I'm sure the Dreamliners would all be fixed up in no time. I'm rather excited for it!

Odd you talk about Air Canada! I'm at the moment at work watching an old Air Crash Investigations on Nat Geo about the Air Canada flight that ran out of fuel and landed on a drag strip :D
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My cousins hubby flys the A380 for Quantas, and loves the plane, but never being a passenger on one, I have to defer to your experience of the model. He isnt in the training pool for Dreamliners, as he is coming up to retirement (his choice) so unlikely to fly that bird.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member

You don't seem to know what you're talking about. Anyway, that aside, what the hell is a "crackshave", some form of metrosexual grooming procedure?
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    You don't seem to know what you're talking about. Anyway, that aside, what the hell is a "crackshave", some form of metrosexual grooming procedure?

I love it. Presumably a crack in the windshield. I don't think that's unique to the 787, if I remember correctly there were some 757s with that problem recently.

All modern aircraft are fly by wire anyway. Should we go back to pulleys and cables and have strongman pilots?