Options

1.3 million housing association tenants, will get a discount of up to 70% to buy

shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1.3 million housing association tenants, who will get a discount of up to 70% to buy their own home.

a slap in the face to the rest of us who have paid full price for our houses

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And ultimately will be funded by the taxpayer to some degree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woohoo!! :D
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so the government can force housing associations to sell then? this is one of the more bizarre ideas the Tories have come up with, selling homes that they dont own.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why should HAs bother to build or buy properties if they can be sold from under them.
  • Options
    Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    Should bring some bargains for acquiring rental property though! If a HA tenant has bought as 70% discount, shouldn't be too hard to pressure them to sell below market value.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    So why should HAs bother to build or buy properties if they can be sold from under them.

It won't. That's the point - reducing greatly the provision of charitable, council and affordable housing provision, and instead shifting tenure to private rental and owner-occupier.

There's also a high prevalence of HA properties in marginal constituencies, so politically this was a very smart move by Cameron and Osborne. Housing is wot won it for the Tories.
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    And ultimately will be funded by the taxpayer to some degree.
    What about all the rent they've been paying for years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snukr wrote: »
    What about all the rent they've been paying for years?

Huh? They're paying rent to the housing associations, not the government. The housing associations receive the rent to help fund new housing, pay down borrowings and maintain existing stock.

The discounts are being funded by forcing local authorities to sell off assets, especially council housing. The multi-billion pound cost will ultimately be borne by non-Housing Association taxpayers.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be worth buying mums for her then. Something for my retirement!
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here in Scotland the opposite is happening.WEF Aug 2016.No more right to buy from council or housing assoc.
    Many years I bought my flat from Scottish Homes HA.My elderly neighbours were up in arms about it.'These flats are for old folk etc'.I didn't care.I bought it for a 70% discount then sold it on eventully for a huge profit.
    Not many people are buying now anyway.All the good stock has long since been sold on.
    Maybe with the change in the law they'll(the councils)will start building again.They haven't for many many years now.
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Here in Scotland the opposite is happening.WEF Aug 2016.No more right to buy from council or housing assoc.
    Many years I bought my flat from Scottish Homes HA.My elderly neighbours were up in arms about it.'These flats are for old folk etc'.I didn't care.I bought it for a huge discount then sold it on eventully for a huge profit.
    Not many people are buying now anyway.All the good stock has long since been sold on.
    Maybe with the change in the law they'll(the councils)will start building again.They haven't for many many years now.

I disagree with the "not many people are buying" in regards to Glasgow at least. The property value here is so low most are buying from auction. I think it's great personally, coming from Cardiff where the prices are sky high.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    I disagree with the "not many people are buying" in regards to Glasgow at least. The property value here is so low most are buying from auction. I think it's great personally, coming from Cardiff where the prices are sky high.

Why is it so low?.Rough areas?,run down tenements with huge compulsory repair orders hanging over them?.
    I live over on the east coast.The only council properties that haven't been bought up are the dumps.You can spot them a mile away.Still some council properties amongst the estates thast have been bought up.99% rented by oap's who haven't given in to their offsprings 'i'll buy it for you and you can live rent free-as long as you leave it to me' demands.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it so low?.Rough areas?,run down tenements with huge compulsory repair orders hanging over them?.
    I live over on the east coast.The only council properties that haven't been bought up are the dumps.You can spot them a mile away.Still some council properties amongst the estates thast have been bought up.99% rented by oap's who haven't given in to their offsprings 'i'll buy it for you and you can live rent free-as long as you leave it to me' demands.>:(

Why so low? No idea. I love the place I moved into, aye it's a tenement. No huge repair bills at all. The areas lovely in my opinion though I've heard the phrase "multi cultural" used to describe it in a negative light. Coming from Cardiff I was like...and? We've lived along side one another no problem down there and it's the same up here. Maybe it's just the economy? I don't know it's just much much cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why so low? No idea. I love the place I moved into, aye it's a tenement. No huge repair bills at all. The areas lovely in my opinion though I've heard the phrase "multi cultural" used to describe it in a negative light. Coming from Cardiff I was like...and? We've lived along side one another no problem down there and it's the same up here. Maybe it's just the economy? I don't know it's just much much cheaper.

As long as you're happy.And you aren't paying huge monthly payments on your mortgage.I look at the prices of places in England and just think 'WTF!'.1 bedroom flats for £100k etc.I'd sooner buy a caravan and be 'trailer park trash'.:p
    I actually think there's huge potential for building big (permanent) caravan parks in the UK.If only to make things more affordable for most people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as you're happy.And you aren't paying huge monthly payments on your mortgage.I look at the prices of places in England and just think 'WTF!'.1 bedroom flats for £100k etc.I'd sooner buy a caravan and be 'trailer park trash'.:p
    I actually think there's huge potential for building big (permanent) caravan parks in the UK.If only to make things more affordable for most people.

I'm very happy and very lucky. I had enough to buy outright here. I could have brought for less if I went to auction (most go for around 25-30k but need a lot of work) but I paid 50k for a flat that had been brought at auction and done up to a high standard. A lot of the property's happening like that here, it's a great market if that's your business. I'd moved from a much much smaller horrible flat in Cardiff which I rented. To buy it would have costed me 95k. I did enquire when I came into the money. It's going the way of London prices with out the London wage.
    Plus Scotland's great! Everyone's lovely up here :) so yes, thankfully I'm very happy :) hope to see more of Scotland soon :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very happy and very lucky. I had enough to buy outright here. I could have brought for less if I went to auction (most go for around 25-30k but need a lot of work) but I paid 50k for a flat that had been brought at auction and done up to a high standard. A lot of the property's happening like that here, it's a great market if that's your business. I'd moved from a much much smaller horrible flat in Cardiff which I rented. To buy it would have costed me 95k. I did enquire when I came into the money. It's going the way of London prices with out the London wage.
    Plus Scotland's great! Everyone's lovely up here :) so yes, thankfully I'm very happy :) hope to see more of Scotland soon :D

Good on you.Everyones pretty friendly up here.Apart from me.:p
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandparents were offered a five-storey Victorian townhouse at a similar discount after they refused to move to a new estate - in either Dagenham or Harlow - as part of the council's plan to demolish their homes across Homerton to make way for new developments.

Edited:
    Wait, a housing association has nothing to do with council? As in, it's not a council estate?

(I'm sorry for being so ignorant.)
  • Options
    2-Pot Screamer2-Pot Screamer Posts: 34,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Precisely!

What incentive will there be for housing CHARITIES to build or otherwise acquire new properties which they may well be compelled to sell off at a massive discount, i.e. a loss?!
  • Options
    cobaye22cobaye22 Posts: 1,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely!

What incentive will there be for housing CHARITIES to build or otherwise acquire new properties which they may well be compelled to sell off at a massive discount, i.e. a loss?!

It's all pie in the sky at the moment. 1.3 million houses, 70% discounts - I don't believe a word of it. A large proportion of these HA tenants are in no position to buy.
    I suspect the actual discounts and the number of properties will decrease drastically as the government tries to drag this into legislation.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And who will set the price for these houses? The body who will have to stump up the 70%?

I always thought housing associations did good work - am I right in thinking they originally grew out of the squatters movement?

Well, at any rate, housing associations have always been seen as left wing and socially motivated - so an obvious target for a government that, essentially, does not support the idea of social housing in the first place.

They're a rotten lot - someone must like their policies I suppose - God knows who.
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it so low?.

probably because house prices are so high they couldn't sell them because mortgage payments would be more than rent
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be lovely for those who have houses, but it's buyer beware for people enticed into buying their flats.

I know of woman who bought her maisonette in a block of flats, was presented with a £20,000 bill when the council decided that the windows and doors needed replacing, clearly the home owners were expected to subsidise the work carried out for the remaining tenants. You were not allowed to source your own repairs.

There was another block of flats, where the owners were presented with a bill of £45,000, to help pay towards new roofs etc, which were neglected by the council over the years.

They may get a nice discount, but they will be paying all the little extra suprises for ever.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I very much hope the HAs won't take this lying down.

What we are talking about here is a government forcibly stripping charities of their assets.
    It's like something out of a Stalinist state.

I'd be flabbergasted if I didn't know this was a Tory policy, so it isn't suprising, though just as disgusting.
  • Options
    donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the legal position on this?it seems very strange that the Government would be able to force sell these assets but I haven't heard of any possible legal challenges yet.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    What's the legal position on this?it seems very strange that the Government would be able to force sell these assets but I haven't heard of any possible legal challenges yet.
    Both Councils and HAs will be challenging it due to the effects on both of them.