Advice for Curly/Wavy hair?

HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
Forum Member
Can anyone please recommend a product for naturally wavy/curly hair? My hair has a natural wave - not exactly curly - and it looks and sits great when it is wet. However, as soon as it dries it just turns into a frizzy mess. I've tried numerous products, but just haven't found the right one.
I'm looking for something that I can apply to my hair after I wash it and just leave it to dry naturally. Something which will sculpt and hold the waves without looking too "set" or crispy (a la mousse). Both hairs and hair density are medium, and it's coloured and jut past my shoulders.

Comments

• morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got very similar hair. Naturally very very curly (corkscrew) which would frizz up into a fro if I run my fingers through it or God forbid, brush it.

I've tried everything on the market. My recommendations are pure Argan oil or coconut oil. They can be put on wet or dry hair. I use it in wet hair, then most of the time, when it's dried thoroughly I style it by using a bit more,
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I use Kerrestasé Oleo Relax serum and then Oleo Curl cream, however some days nothing and I mean nothing controls the frizz (I dread hot humid weather in the summer or just bad hair days where my ringlets just go frizzy). I also find a shampoo and conditioner specifically for curly hair helps, I try and use Frizz Ease Dream Curl shampoo and conditioner. I would love to use the Kerestasé Oleo curl shampoo and conditioner but it's too expensive.
  • janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I use curl creme using a Trevor Sorbie one at the moment. Sometimes I have fab curls/ringlets but it depends on the humidity.
  • tigerowltigerowl Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried plopping?
  • Chihiro77Chihiro77 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's taken me years to find the right combination for my curly hair! I wash it at night and then just go to sleep with it wet, it's still wet in the morning as it's really thick, then I use serum and mousse (Boots own brand, doesn't m,ake it crispy) and leave it do dryu naturally or but the heaters on in the car on the way to work. :D If I'm washing it and going straight out I just dry the roots with a diffuser to give it 'lift'.
    As others have said, sometimes you just can't tame that frizz!
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Boots own brand Curl Creme. It's cheap, does the trick although occasionally I use mousse or spray to create a type of 40s/50s style to my fringe.
  • HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I should have perhaps emphasised that my hair is just wavy and not fully curly, but some good ideas nonetheless. I've tried Argan oil before, but I'll give the coconut oil a go. The Boots' own brand sounds good, too.
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the suggestions, ladies. I should have perhaps emphasised that my hair is just wavy and not fully curly, but some good ideas nonetheless. I've tried Argan oil before, but I'll give the coconut oil a go. The Boots' own brand sounds good, too.

I find coconut oil too heavy. My hair is dead straight so I curl my hair. I use Pro Naturals argan oil as a leave in treatment. After shampoo & conditioning I apply it mainly to the ends and halfway up the length of my hair. It is a great heat protectant as I heat style on average every 3 days. I don't suffer from frizzy ends when I curl my hair, no static or split ends but very shiny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I have the same thing, I use http://www.carltonshairdesign.com/#!product-page/ntqtb/1770e18c-389a-ac39-a610-ea419b9d0be8 Wella Curls Mousse and a diffuser to hold the little waves I have without it going frizzy.
    Forum Member
    I have the same thing, I use http://www.carltonshairdesign.com/#!product-page/ntqtb/1770e18c-389a-ac39-a610-ea419b9d0be8 Wella Curls Mousse and a diffuser to hold the little waves I have without it going frizzy.

Yes, you are right, I forgot - I use my Salon Series Ionic Prof hair dryer's cool shot with diffuser in order to "set" my curls. Only takes a few minutes.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    another vote for argan oil.

don`t wash it every day and spritz and scrunch with a diluted conditioner mix in between. don`t brush it when it``s dry, just shake it from the roots with your head upside down.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Twist up your hair into a bun on the top of your head when your hair is 80% dry. Sleep with it in then next morning, unravel it and you should have nice big bouncy curls, run through a bit of smoothing cream or oil and you're good to go.

Look on YouTube for sockbun tutorials.
  • FashionRCDFashionRCD Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I have a straight but wavy hair but it's my dream to have a curly hair!
  • FashionRCDFashionRCD Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I work in a busy world so I can't fix myself in a good look so I favor to have a simple but wavy hair..
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Twist up your hair into a bun on the top of your head when your hair is 80% dry. Sleep with it in then next morning, unravel it and you should have nice big bouncy curls, run through a bit of smoothing cream or oil and you're good to go.

Look on YouTube for sockbun tutorials.

cavalli thanks for the info above. My hair is short but I thought I'd give it a try. After shampoo & conditioner I put my pro-naturals argan oil leave in treatment to ends and up hair shaft, Combed it through & when hair was 80% airdried I started curling my hair using old strips of t-shirt. Put a scarf to secure and next morning hair was dry and I had CURLS. Thank you so much.
  • araprado0214araprado0214 Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    My hair is somewhere between wavy and curly, and I've pretty much found a way to maintain it. It's not really about the products I put on my hair but what I do to prep it.

Basically when I'm going out, I wash my hair at least 6 hours before. Once done, I let it naturally dry half way (avoid wind and even hair dryers) and then I put it up in a bun and let it dry some more. The longer it's up in a bun the better.

Once you've put on your makeup and your clothes, you just remove your bun and see that your hair has set into beautiful waves that won't frizz or puff up easily. :)
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    http://mobile.easylifegroup.com/product/heated-hair-straightening-brush/3482?TRE00019

Try using one of these on dry hair. This is about half/one third the price of others I have found.
  • Majik1Majik1 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    Missli wrote: »
    I use Boots own brand Curl Creme. It's cheap, does the trick although occasionally I use mousse or spray to create a type of 40s/50s style to my fringe.

The curl creme has a massive fan base because it's great! Only a small amount needed and cheep as chips. I just ruffle my hair and good to go. Nothing more.
  • Majik1Majik1 Posts: 6,956
    Forum Member
    I have used the coconut products but beware, you will always smell of coconut, no matter what perfume, body spray or soap you use. When you wake up the next morning, you will still smell of coconut.