Options

The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think some ski-ing might have been cancelled because they should highlights of last weekends meeting and started live coverage a bit early

Neah Evans at it again.........wins the opening live event, the women's flying lap, beating Elinor Barker into second place

Sky have put out a strong pairing tonight for the men's event with Ian Stannard and Andy Fenn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interviewing Neah Evans now.......that was her fifth win of the meeting (I think this is the 3rd day)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carlton mentions a new Irish pro-continental team has been formed for next season

Aqua Blue Sport

Apparently it's Ireland's first team at this level

Confirmed Irish riders - Martyn Irvine, ex world track champion, Conor Dunne and Matt Brammeier

They've signed a few former world tour riders from the folding IAM Cycling Team and also Andy Fenn and Lars Petter Nordhaug from Sky and Adam Blythe from Tinkoff and Dan Pearson and Mark Christian from Team Wiggins

Should give more opportunity for Irish and British riders to ride some big races
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laura Kenny is on track now in the Omnium Elimination race........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laura does the business wearing the Rainbow Jersey.......beats Neah in the final sprint
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rise of Neah Evans continues as she beats Laura Kenny in the Omnium. The battle between Kenny and Evans has been the highlight tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    The rise of Neah Evans continues as she beats Laura Kenny in the Omnium. The battle between Kenny and Evans has been the highlight tonight.

to be fair though Laura isn't fully fit.......and Neah is on top form

I thought Laura even looked a bit bulky as though she's put weight on during her 'break'
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Neah could beat Laura if Laura was at her best, but it would bbe a good contest. It will be interesting to see how Neah does next year in races against the women who compete in the domestic competitions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    More cycling coming up. Revolution Series Part 2 from London on Saturday night, then the Amsterdam 6-Day on Tuesday, so Kenny de Ketele will get at least a couple of days off before Christmas.

Just had a look at the start list for the Amsterdam Six Days

There's a Brit team in the main men's event - Andy Tennat and Chris Lathom

Philip Hindes is entered in the Sprint tournament

Elinor Barker, Megan Chard and our new superstar Neah Evans go in the Women's event

full list here......

http://sixdayamsterdam.com/renners/

looking forward to this......the London one was the first one that I really watched much of and over the six days I got the hang of what was going on !
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Neah could beat Laura if Laura was at her best, but it would bbe a good contest. It will be interesting to see how Neah does next year in races against the women who compete in the domestic competitions.

Thoroughly enjoyed that, every lap counted. Neah's wonderful winter continues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Part 2 of Tour de Celeb just started on C5

Tonight's show includes a lesson from Ed Clancy on riding in a peloton
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like Philip Hindes must have pulled out of the Amsterdam 6 Day.......Matt Rotherham has turned up

Apparently this is the second meeting of the series as the one in Ghent a week or so ago was a standalone event .......so this one follows London

I think the points are carried over though not quite sure what would happen if a rider had a different partner due to injury or sickness

I think they're expected to keep the same teams all the way through the series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris Lathom has pulled out with a chest infection and gone home

Andy Tennant carried on last night riding the individual events but obviously couldn't ride the Madisons

not sure where that leaves him........they're in last place and likely to be a long way behind if they turn up to the next meeting in January

Also there were no women's events last night and doesn't look like there's any tonight either unless they're all earlier in the evening before the TV coverage starts
  • Options
    Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The women compete in the second half of the six-day, just like they did in London.

For those interested in what the Antipodean trackies are up to, the 2017 Oceania Track Championships are underway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

thanks for that !.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Developments in the Shane Sutton case......

British cycling has cleared Sutton of 8 of 9 charges relating to sexist, discriminatory language and found him 'guilty' of using the term 'bitches'

more here.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38245106
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amsterdam Six Day - day four today

Ellie Barker won the first event of the women's series earlier today

Two British pairs finish first and second in the 'Youth Series' which has now finished..... unfortunately they didn't show any of it on TV over the last 3 days. You'd have thought they might have stuck the final event on during the evening on day 3 to give the youngsters some exposure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh dear...... schoolboy error by Matt Rotherham

giving it the big sit up and arms in the air and the other guy come up the inside and pipped him on the line

he's from Bolton........:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neah Evans hasn't turned up to Amsterdam although she was on the start list

Elie Barker and Megan Childs go for GB

Elimination race just started.....

that 'Megan Chard'.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ellie Barker wins the Elimation race

brilliant stuff !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laura Kenny has been named the Sunday Times Sportswoman of the Year......the most prestigious of the annual awards. Sarah Storey was 2nd

Kadeena Cox, who won medals in track cycling and athletics was named Paralympian of the Year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone else watching the Amsterdam Six Day ?

Must say that I'm beginning to wilt a bit with the main event for men's pairs.......I find those long 40 or 60 lap Derny races pretty boring and the Madison events are only so-so interesting

Similarly the men's sprint series is the same every night with only 6 competitors beating each other in the same order in the same events

The women's series is great though........the girls ride as individuals and ride proper races like points, scratch, elimination

I know there a hundred years of history behind but I wish they'd scrap the pairs and just have men competing as individuals........like an Omnium every night with points carrying over for the six days. That would be a lot more viewer friendly !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elinor Barker won the Women's Series in Amerstam

Two more Sx Day meetings in January on ES then the Grand Final in Mallorca
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

Didn't like the new omnium. Fewer events means whats left matter less, as the potential lead going into the final points race will be less. That means the points race becomes more important, and the final result more random - as more and more contenders will have to be covered. The loss of two short speed events makes it less of a competition for all rounders. 4 events in one day - with 3 long races, makes it an endurance race fest - and difficult to combine with any other event on a nearby day. Looks designed to make it random , require a narrower range of skills and stop the all rounders and pursuiters from doing so well - and to clear time for something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dave Brailsford and Shane Sutton are amongst witnesses scheduled to appear before the DCMS Select Committee tomorrow as part of their investigation into Doping In Sport

It's thought they will be questioned on Team Sky's use of TUEs and the alleged suspicious packages delivered to riders during the Tour

Scheduled start 11.15 and it will be available live on the Parliament website..........

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Committees