best mens hair clippers???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
Forum Member
✭✭✭
so I have mainly been razor shaving my head but recently I decided to grow it a little longer. the problem now is the only clippers I have round the house are some really basic wahl ones. I tried these out but they seem to give a really patchy look. I am wondering what are the best ones to use that give a good quality cut all over. bear in mind that I'm going to be cutting it myself so it needs to be easy to use.

the only one i've read up on is the babyliss one which are like a handcomb,i liked the look of this from the ad on tv.after reading up though i found out the reviews of this are pretty bad and it gives a patchy cut despite the high price tag.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump! anyone know of some good ones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone got me a pair of nicky clarke clippers last year and they seem to cut my hair ok, it has different lenght settings though, not like my old ones. The trick is to keep going over and over your hair again, and the shorter it is the easier it is. Above a number seven I think your better off going to the barber.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks,

yea I agree about the length settings,I want to keep mine quite short.
    would say these ones give a good even cut and leave no patches? or does going over it a few times eliminate that risk?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got a Babiliss full clipper set earlier this year, has proper clippers, 8 length guides, 5 setting adjustable head, comb, oil, cleaning brush and a smaller rechargeable edge/beard trimmer, good bit of kit, plus it was half price when i got it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BaByliss-692BU-Rechargeable-Trimmer-Grooming/dp/B0013ISDHU/ref=sr_1_2/275-1782539-1214554?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1260384708&sr=1-2
  • orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya, I bought some of these last week from my local tesco store (out of stock online). I do a zero crop all over with them and 'm quite happpy with them. There is lots of fine adjustment with moving the blade itself as well as adding combs.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-7850.aspx

The box says "for total face and body grooming" but they work fine on your head.
  • boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't like the Babyliss ones. I've had two and both of them had dodgy attachments. They didn't fit on securely and and I have scalped both myself and my nephew by them falling of mid way through. I currently have Nicky Clarke ones and they are very good.
  • JeliteJelite Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had my Wahl clippers for 16 years and they're still in perfect condition, i use them to shave my head and stubble, i think i broke most of the attachments but i don't use them anymore.
  • soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My recommendation would be for these from Philips. I use them without any guides to get a perfect grade 0 all over. The rotating head and relatively cheap price are added benefits (although anyone who manages to cut the hair at the back of their head with clippers that have a fixed head must be a contortionist).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-QC5170-Mains-Rechargeable-Hairclipper/dp/B000GX37BU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=drugstore&qid=1260432024&sr=8-1

Check out the positive reviews.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks guys ,Ill check some of these out.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just out of interest which model name are the nicky clarke ones people are recommending? I can see a couple of different models on amazon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just out of interest which model name are the nicky clarke ones people are recommending? I can see a couple of different models on amazon
    Unfortunately I don't think the one I have is sold any longer because it's not listed on his website.

I have model NCMH-D. Bought for £17.99 from Boots in June 2005 - used roughly every 5 weeks - and still going strong. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think the one I have is sold any longer because it's not listed on his website.

I have model NCMH-D. Bought for £17.99 from Boots in June 2005 - used roughly every 5 weeks - and still going strong. :)

ah. yea I can see various different NCM or NGM models but I don't really know the difference.
  • StilianStilian Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I have used several Philips hair clippers and they all have been great so far. My latest purchase is the cordless Philips QC5370/15 which is just amazing value considering its specs.
  • Pierre_StephensPierre_Stephens Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Karmin makes the best in my opinion :)
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried them all, think Babyliss are rubbish, most of the Wahl ones are too, and even their professional one wasn't as good as the one I'd recommend, a Remington ceramic, which was half the price of the Wahl, been using it for years now.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used a Remington for years, does the job. Can't comment on other makes.
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Karmin makes the best in my opinion :)

This is the one my hubby uses the Karmin T70 - it has a ceramic moving blade & a titanium stationery blade. He is very happy with it and after shaving he applies either a couple of drops of my Pro-Naturals Moroccan argan oil or jojoba oil as moisturiser, no razor burn at all.
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Lin4237 wrote: »
    This is the one my hubby uses the Karmin T70 - it has a ceramic moving blade & a titanium stationery blade. He is very happy with it and after shaving he applies either a couple of drops of my Pro-Naturals Moroccan argan oil or jojoba oil as moisturiser, no razor burn at all.

My apologies, real senior moment should have been as follows:

This is the one my hubby uses the Karmin T70 - it has a ceramic moving blade & a titanium stationery blade. He is very happy with it and after trimming he applies either a couple of drops of my Pro-Naturals Moroccan argan oil or jojoba oil.
  • laura_waterslaura_waters Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I’d recommend the hair clippers from Karmin ;-)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    I'm quite happy with my Wahl Clip'n'Rinse cordless hair clippers.

I'd also agree with the tip above to remember to oil the clippers before and after use.