F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2012 Season (part 3)

Comments

• davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie1 wrote: »
    Well I follow a few people from FOM on twitter, let me know if you want their names to see if they'll take notice of viewer opinions.

Yeah, I'd like to see who they are on Twitter
  • Fergie1Fergie1 Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't watched live on a Friday yet, is the pits channel available during practice?
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Well I follow a few people from FOM on twitter, let me know if you want their names to see if they'll take notice of viewer opinions.

careful who you hand those out to, plenty of people in this thread I wouldn't trust to behave themselves :eek::D
  • gillwgillw Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I follow a couple as well. Be interested to see if we are following the same people.
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,835
    Forum Member
    careful who you hand those out to, plenty of people in this thread I wouldn't trust to behave themselves :eek::D

I wouldn't share!!! as above :p
    just keep it to yourself and channel our thoughts and opinions in a calm and constructive way …

Why don't they just show the replays of the start at the end of the podium?
    It's good that FOM are trying some new onboard angles this year - remember they got lazy for a while just sitting with front and rear standard views.

What I still miss is lack of mirror camera. It was a nice break from the norm every now and then, showing the driver at work from the side. Not very useful in terms of what was going on, but good viewing all the same
  • Fergie1Fergie1 Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's exactly why I didn't post a list of them. ;)
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good performance from both Chanels today, SKY getting better with each race, learning from mistakes and feedback.

Croft/Brundle win it for commentary but that is a personal choice and you cant go wrong with either.

As some of us have said before - it all good this year and I dont really understand why some supporters (from both camps) fell threatened enough to keep throwing in petty snipes and quite ridiculous levels of nit picking.
  • bee.fearbee.fear Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Both very good. Just catching up with the Sky replay on SkyGo - watched on the BBC as I don't have access to Sky TV here and wanted to watch it on the 'big screen' so to speak.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought Sky's pre-race was good. If they keep to the ad structure they had today of only two breaks, I think I will enjoy it. The features were alright, Simon's piece with Vettel was better than his piece with Hamilton. I think as a presenter it will take time to gel with Hamilton, I think Hamilton at the moment gets along with Jake better than Simon. The grid walk was good, as usual. Noticed Martin bumped into Eddie, David and Lee at different points but only referenced David. A good pre-show.

Didn't have many problems with FOM direction although cutting away while Button in the pits was stupid. On the onboard channel were they onboard with Raikkonen when he fell from 2nd to 12th? Would love to see that if anyone is willing to upload that to any video sites... ;)

Post-race was exceptional. First thing we saw though was Gary and Ted fighting to interview Ross Brawn only for us to not hear it! Were BBC live at that point, if so, could they hear it? The Sky team excelled during post-race. I hope Johnny Herbert is permanent, miles better than Hill. Also, they were placed well, starting off in Mercedes garage was a great idea. It seemed much more relaxed and no hurry to move on. Sky, keep to this and keep the commercials to a minimum like you did today! I was tempted to press Red on BBC1 when I seen EJ grabbing Nico, but glad I didn't given that Sky interviewed them later. The Sky Pad was well used and Georgie and Ant seemed more comfy.

Great coverage, but I suspect we will have Hill and adverts back for Bahrain. :( I hope I'm wrong, because the coverage was massively improved and flowed better without adverts today.
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I was tempted to press Red on BBC1 when I seen EJ grabbing Nico, but glad I didn't given that Sky interviewed them later.

I do wonder how long it will take for the drivers to start getting a bit pissed off with this - they seem to be doing four interviews for the British media now, two in the 'ring' with NP and LMcK and then they'll speak to the presentation teams for both BBC & Sky.

EDIT: Add in JG on 5Live and either JA/DC for the unilateral PC and there are potentially six "different" answers to the question "How was your race?" available for UK audiences for the top three drivers.
  • gd49gd49 Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Post-race was exceptional. First thing we saw though was Gary and Ted fighting to interview Ross Brawn only for us to not hear it! Were BBC live at that point, if so, could they hear it?

I don't think the BBC took the interview live - Gary and Ross Brawn were on the pitlane feed but DC and Edwards were still chatting away about something else.
  • IncastIncast Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gd49 wrote: »
    I don't think the BBC took the interview live - Gary and Ross Brawn were on the pitlane feed but DC and Edwards were still chatting away about something else.

It was shown after the podium.
  • davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really didn't think it was hot in Shanghai today via.me/-p3nyxe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I guess no one at FOM watches the 4:3 graphics feed. There was a bizarre bug with the running order graphic at the very bottom of the screen (the one below the F1 logo) which seemed to last all race. It showed four positions at a time and was fine showing positions 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16 and 21-24. But it skipped 17-20 every time, and instead showed 20-23, before changing to show 21-24.

This graphic must have been there for almost the whole the race, and I'm pretty sure it didn't get fixed,
    Forum Member
    The only negative I have with BBC is Coulthard interrupting Ben when he should be doing That Ben Thing. I guess (hope) that issue will gradually disappear through the season as they get used to each other.
    But what's good is, even when DC interrupts Ben, it's almost always adding something good to the conversation
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the drivers, with exception of Button, are finding the lack of incite or general understanding on what occurred, a bit tedious when talking to Natalie Pinkham on Sky. She has one rehearsed question, but is a bit lost after and vague in the next attempt, sometimes repetitive almost. It's a jump from her one season on the radio in the pit, but she will get better and more comfortable I'm sure as she will be required to spend more time gathering information and knowledge, as Sky become familiar in the sport. Otherwise, the drivers will end up being like Raikkonen and say little and what's obvious.

Is a but daft having two live broadcasts and will become a bit annoying and time consuming to satisfy both for the main teams. Thought a sign of this was Monisha being absent when Sky wanted to interview her.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    Woodentop wrote: »
    It seems the drivers, with exception of Button, are finding the lack of incite or general understanding on what occurred, a bit tedious when talking to Natalie Pinkham on Sky. She has one rehearsed question, but is a bit lost after and vague in the next attempt, sometimes repetitive almost. It's a jump from her one season on the radio in the pit, but she will get better and more comfortable I'm sure as she will be required to spend more time gathering information and knowledge, as Sky become familiar in the sport. Otherwise, the drivers will end up being like Raikkonen and say little and what's obvious.

Is a but daft having two live broadcasts and will become a bit annoying and time consuming to satisfy both for the main teams. Thought a sign of this was Monisha being absent when Sky wanted to interview her.

You could see Pinkham in the background to all of Lee's interviews. I think it's going to get very tedious for all of the teams and drivers sooner rather than later.
  • BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Is it really a big issue? Alonso has to talk to Spanish, Italian, UK media, Roberg and Schumacher have to talk to German and UK media, the drivers already do massive amounts of media work during a race weekend, one more broadcaster won't make a difference.

Can see the team owners getting fed up of having to give constant soundbites during the race weekend, but if that means we see less Horner/Whitmarsh/Brawn on our screens that won't be a bad thing.
  • AdderAdder Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could see Pinkham in the background to all of Lee's interviews. I think it's going to get very tedious for all of the teams and drivers sooner rather than later.

I don't think really it's too much worse than it always has been for them, don't forget BBC and Sky aren't the only broadcasters there. You've got; SPEED, Star, RAI,mtv, Fuji, Fox Sports, RTL, Sky Germany and so many more and they all want a piece of the drivers.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen the start of the race on BBC1HD (first time ever seen any part of a race in HD. stunning quality to my eyes, much better than SD.

Cannot comment on Sky HD as yet to see it for F1.

From comments in here, Sky stepped up today, will they keep doing this or only for the races that the BBC also have live, Perhaps we will find out next week.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,721
    Forum Member
    Adder wrote: »
    I don't think really it's too much worse than it always has been for them, don't forget BBC and Sky aren't the only broadcasters there. You've got; SPEED, Star, RAI,mtv, Fuji, Fox Sports, RTL, Sky Germany and so many more and they all want a piece of the drivers.

Quite a few of those share interviews though. They aren't doing separate interviews for each broadcaster.

This place tends to get flooded with Sky posts throughout the week but as there are a lot of BBC viewers contributing today it looks very disappointing to only have a 80 min show next week for the Bahrain race. I think this is a clear case of the BBC not fully utilising their rights which is sadly reminiscent of the ITV era with live qualifying sessions going missing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    infoman wrote: »
    I doubt the BBC employ translators....

BBC Monitoring is a round-the-clock operation gathering and translating information in more than 70 languages and is one of the largest undertakings of its type in the world.

Translating a few monents from a press conference would be no problem, albeit a totally useless waste of resources.
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a clear case of the BBC not fully utilising their rights which is sadly reminiscent of the ITV era with live qualifying sessions going missing.

There is another thread on this board that includes a quote from some BBC bigwig all but confirming the majority of sport (outside of some major events) is not seen as being a part of the BBC's offering going forward.
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    There is another thread on this board that includes a quote from some BBC bigwig all but confirming the majority of sport (outside of some major events) is not seen as being a part of the BBC's offering going forward.

which is an absolute **** as sport is the only thing I watch on BBC television
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,391
    Forum Member
    Any chance I could get those?
    Haven't watched live on a Friday yet, is the pits channel available during practice?
    As far as im aware FOM produce the pits feed for practice (Its avaliable on a Finnish online service) but Sky don't make it avaliable.

For practice we get world-feed, OnBoard-Mix, OnBoard 2, Timing, Driver-Tracker.

Image of Di Resta showing where the Helmet-Cam was placed:
    http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/373/forcrestshan201221.jpg

Pitty they don't seem to be able to put the camera inside the helmet like what Champcar used to do with there Visor-Cam.
    http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1637/visorcamtakagibx4.jpg
    http://youtu.be/D4tEcBj8EGk
This discussion has been closed.