Options

Sport's Personality Of The Year 2016 Odds (Skybet)

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Phelps for a Lifetime achievement award?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No gold for Froome. I didn't think he had a chance anyway but that confirms he won't be SPOTY.
  • Options
    appledashappledash Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    After tonight's performance mo farah looks a great shout for sports personality 2016 :)
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    appledash wrote: »
    After tonight's performance mo farah looks a great shout for sports personality 2016 :)

Yeah I think this is Mo's chance as well. A record breaking achievement (three successive gold medals), an Olympic year and the fact that two of his biggest competitors (Murray and Lewis) are both recent winners.

If he wins the 5,000 as well then he's the standout favourite IMO.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,059
    Forum Member
    Plus he fell over so had to battle back to win in a against all odds type situation the media/British fans love.
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His fall and recovery will definitely help his cause. Being the solitary gold medallist from last night's track & field will help him too. It'll mean no short-list for Jess or Greg, so he'll be the stand-out nominee from track & field. It's just a shame for him that he did it in the middle of the night when most voters decided to leave him to it.
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,214
    Forum Member
    Michael Phelps for a Lifetime achievement award?

Don't rule out Steve Davis, after ending an amazing snooker career this year. Phelps is great but think Davis deserves it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    His fall and recovery will definitely help his cause. Being the solitary gold medallist from last night's track & field will help him too. It'll mean no short-list for Jess or Greg, so he'll be the stand-out nominee from track & field. It's just a shame for him that he did it in the middle of the night when most voters decided to leave him to it.

I reckon more people watched last night than most predicated - I stayed up and watched and I bet quite a few million did too , 1.30-2.00 is not too late to watch history ?
  • Options
    popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the basis the BBC extend the shortlist to 12 as they did 2012 because they are so many candidates the shortlist is shaping up

Andy Murray
    Chris Froome
    Bradley Wiggins
    Adam Peaty
    Anthony Josha/Carl Frampton (one boxer or two?)
    Mo Farah
    Jamie Vardy/Gareth Bale (will they nominate a footballer)
    Danny Willett
    Laura Trott
    Katherine Grainger

Twos places for Para Olympians

Out of Contention

Jessica Ennis Hill & Greg Rutherford

Other contenders might be

Nicola Adams if she wins gold again
    Max Whitlock/Tom Daly if they win gold might have a case but unlikely to make it
    Lewis Hamilton - if F1 World Champion
    Alistair Brownlee if he retains his gold medal in the triathlon

Any other contenders?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murray may well win it again.

Although he has a great career as a tennis player, he does seem to take a lot of pride in representing Britain. Another gold medal, carrying the flag, another Davis cup maybe.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me.

Tennis is one of the hardest sports to win. Top players in every country.

Unlike track cycling and rowing,say, where there are only about half a dozen potential winners.

Distance running is a strange thing now. I wouldn't be surprised if Mo Farah gets beat in SPOTY
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Murray may well win it again.

Although he has a great career as a tennis player, he does seem to take a lot of pride in representing Britain. Another gold medal, carrying the flag, another Davis cup maybe.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me.

Tennis is one of the hardest sports to win. Top players in every country.

Unlike track cycling and rowing,say, where there are only about half a dozen potential winners.

Distance running is a strange thing now. I wouldn't be surprised if Mo Farah gets beat in SPOTY
    WOW - you really feel Murray over MO ? 2012 super Saturday passed over - do you really feel he will be passed over in 2016 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the basis the BBC extend the shortlist to 12 as they did 2012 because they are so many candidates the shortlist is shaping up

Andy Murray
    Chris Froome
    Bradley Wiggins
    Adam Peaty
    Mo Farah
    Danny Willett
    Laura Trott
    Katherine Grainger

Out of Contention

Max Whitlock/Tom Daly if they win gold might have a case but unlikely to make it

Any other contenders?

I am not sure I agree with this shortlist idea, previously the public basically had total say and I think the public got it right, Certainly from as far as I can remember you could not really argue against who made the top six
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's say that there is no shortlist to choose from in this case. Who would I vote for to win SPOTY

I would vote for Andy Murray, Wimbledon champion speaks for itself, but I would also be considering Mo Farah and Lewis Hamilton

Young Sports Personality of the year
    Would probably vote for Bryony Page, but if a gymnast were to claim gold in Rio, such as Ellie Downey or Amy Tinkler would like to see them win.

Team of the year
    Chris Meara and Jack Laugher would be a great choice, but will probably be Leicester City or maybe the Six nations guys.

Overseas Personality
    Michael Phelps would be a fitting winner, but they might go for Bolt, Serena or Novak

Lifetime Achievement
    Give it to Steve Davis, he has more than earned it
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If England win this test match I will be voting for Jimmy Anderson
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    If England win this test match I will be voting for Jimmy Anderson

Cancel that
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would wait until the end of the Paralympics before trying to guess. As in 2012 there is a good chance people who might have won in other years may not even get nominated.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,059
    Forum Member
    Murray is probably more popular than Farah I feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Murray is probably more popular than Farah I feel.

Murray is hurt by the fact that he's won it twice in the last three years, so I can imagine there being an air of fatigue about voting for him again this year. Look at how Lewis finished nowhere in the 2015 vote even though his title win was more dominant then when he won the vote the year before.

After tonight Whitlock has to be a contender for the win.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    I am not sure I agree with this shortlist idea, previously the public basically had total say and I think the public got it right, Certainly from as far as I can remember you could not really argue against who made the top six

The problem with the old system though is, people could vote for anybody by cutting out a coupon in the Radio Times. In this day and age who is going to do that ? Its all instant with texting on the night. You cannot do texting if its open to all sports stars because it is far too ambiguous. I am more than happy with the panel deciding who the final 12 should be and i think a significant high percentage of the population will be too. You hear very few complaints at “why has so and so being missed off the list”. Its never anybody who would contend for a place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Whitlock will get a nomination but how many of the voting public will have heard of him or follow gymnastics, even at Olympic level?

If they amp up the "two gold medals in two nights" angle then he might stand a chance, plus Beth finished third in 2006 so it's not as left-field as some suspect.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Andy Murray
    Chris Froome
    Bradley Wiggins
    Adam Peaty
    Mo Farah
    Danny Willett
    Laura Trott
    Katherine Grainger

Out of Contention

Any other contenders?

Trott but not her other half?
  • Options
    RichN95RichN95 Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It used to be that an Olympic Gold medalist would be an automatic contender. Now, I think you have to win more than one or win having won before.

With that in mind, nominees so far:

Kenny
    Trott
    Whitlock
    Farah

Andy Triggs-Hodge, Pete Reed and Ed Clancy have now won golds for three Olympics in a row in team events.

Away from the Olympics: Murray (regardless of Olympics), Froome & Hamilton (not sure about Hamilton)
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Murray's wrapped it up.

He still has the US Open, World Tour Finals and Davis Cup to come but he's done enough already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Andy Murray's wrapped it up.

He still has the US Open, World Tour Finals and Davis Cup to come but he's done enough already.

Del Potro ranked 144 ? Hardly testing !
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    appledash wrote: »
    Del Potro ranked 144 ? Hardly testing !

Was testing enough for Djokovic and Nadal.