Andy Murray - World No 1

Comments

• cas116cas116 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Oh yes the Scot who do not like the English and speaks in monotone.
    I do not like the bloke to be honest.

Also, did he only become number one because Milos Raonic pulled out?

Well we made it to post 72 before this old chestnut was rolled out.
    Just take 5 minutes to go and watch the whole clip on You Tube and then get back to us.
    IT WAS A JOKE!!
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,273
    Forum Member

Wondered when that would be trotted out... that was a private joke between Andy, Tim and a journo on a wind up. Andy bit back and it took a long time for him to open himself up again and trust the media after they wrongly misconstrued the whole thing. Andy hates the English so much so he lives in England and has an English wife. :kitty:

Andy became no.1 through consistency and hard work over a 52 calendar week period. That's how the rankings system works.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member

He married an English woman and he lives in England so I reckon he likes English folk a bit...

Snap Lisa :D
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    He married an English woman and he lives in England so I reckon he likes English folk a bit...

Snap Lisa :D

His grandmother Shirley whom he is very close to is English. It's all bollox.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,555
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Wondered when that would be trotted out... that was a private joke between Andy, Tim and a journo on a wind up. Andy bit back and it took a long time for him to open himself up again and trust the media after they wrongly misconstrued the whole thing. Andy hates the English so much so he lives in England and has an English wife. :kitty:

Andy b5ecame no.1 through consistency and hard work over a 52 calendar week period. That's how the rankings system works.
    Des Kelly was the journo in question.
    The reason the whole myth started was because that piece of dirt Kelvin Mackenzie heard the story and totally rewrote it.
    Just another byline in the horrible twisted history of the liar Kelvin Mackenzie.
  • AdyBAdyB Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really!!!
    1) Oh I have heard he speaks very highly of you!!!!
    2) 7 titles in 2016 Including Wimbledon and Rio 2016.
    3) It is all about accumulating points over the year.

Just thought I would explain this because I realised that you was not aware of how to become No1 works.

:o:o:o:o
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes the Scot who do not like the English ..

Even I don't like the guy and I know that particular urban myth is just that - a myth.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been heartening to see so much support for Andy on here!
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    It's been heartening to see so much support for Andy on here!

It's fantastic and what a great role model for the young ones.
  • BonnyriggerBonnyrigger Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy is making it very difficult to choose between himself and Mo for the SPOTY. Time to toss a coin I think.
    Forum Member
    Andy is making it very difficult to choose between himself and Mo for the SPOTY. Time to toss a coin I think.

Either one would be a worthy winner.
    Shame they can't give a joint award.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's great. More power to his elbow.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I think he's great. More power to his elbow.

I agree and I like the man.

In any other era he would have won around ten grand slams by now - but this has been the greatest in tennis history with Roger, Rafael and Novak around.

They all seem very decent blokes as well - which shows to get to the pinnacle in a sport you do not have to be a dick.

Congratulations Andy. :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Andy. A fantastic achievement.

You have to consider how unsuccessful British tennis players have been at reaching the highest echelon of the game for literally decades until Andy Murray came along.

Tennis has been bloody hard for British players to excel at. For Andy Murray to get to where he is it's a monumental achievement which puts him among the British sporting greats, and he will always be seen as such for decades into the future.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    He deserves it, a very talented and stubborn player who digs in when he has to, and a very witty and likable guy on social media. If you ask me.

Not everyone can be charismatic in interviews, unfortunately, we aren't all blessed with the gift of the gab. It doesn't mean his heart isn't in it, just that not everyone is able to express it, especially to our idiotic media who take everything out of context.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    He deserves it, a very talented and stubborn player who digs in when he has to, and a very witty and likable guy on social media. If you ask me.

Not everyone can be charismatic in interviews, unfortunately, we aren't all blessed with the gift of the gab. It doesn't mean his heart isn't in it, just that not everyone is able to express it, especially to our idiotic media who take everything out of context.

The opposite from the press ( for example).

Gazza or Best loved - truly lost people but lionised by the dumb sports writers trying to prevent looking deep into their own souls.

Well done Andy - but you don't cry or have a pair of plastic tits.
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember hearing on the radio, before he was well known, that he had a problem with his wrist, and I thought he would never make it very far. Glad to be proven wrong.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a myth, but people will always repeat it.

And some of them think repeating it is original and funny. Others are just paranoid, and looking for something to whine about.
    Mudbox wrote: »
    I remember hearing on the radio, before he was well known, that he had a problem with his wrist, and I thought he would never make it very far. Glad to be proven wrong.

Thankfully it just delayed his ascent to the top by a bit. Wrists can be so very tricky - just as Delpo, or Laura Robson. And if you get a serious injury before you become a top player, it can be harder to take the time required away, so he did well to get that right. Same goes for his knee problems that he was fortunate to take seriously before doing too much damage. I think the latter had a lot to do with him struggling to get good on clay, which is what he managed in the last couple of years, and that's what put him in the position to take over as #1 from such a dominant player.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Total ignorance on every level.
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member

He would have beaten Milos anyway. That's why Milos didn't think it was worth playing through pain - he struggles to beat Andy when he's fit.

Congrats Andy! Was worth the wait. Now win the WTF to seal the year end number 1!
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not difficult for me. It has to be Mo!

Then again, I'm biased. I like athletics a lot more than tennis.

That said, congratulations to Andy for reaching the top spot in your sport.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Come on, man, get with it... there is an important cheese issue to be resolved here. How will I sleep tonight if we don't get this sorted?

There's a lovely Scottish cheese called Lanark blue. It's very similar to Roquefort.

Surely he'd have to be that, if only to challenge the French cheese-related chauvinism?
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Give an example please of Andy Murray not liking the English. Would be interested to read that.

He liked the English enough to marry an English woman after all. And he lives in Surrey, so can't hate us that much.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    There's a lovely Scottish cheese called Lanark blue. It's very similar to Roquefort.
    Nothing lovely about it, unless you enjoy E.coli.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This month, I'll mainly be calling Andy Murray Lancashire cheese.