cocker back problem

Dom DDom D Posts: 2,119
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My 6 year old cocker was showing signs of a bad back this morning. He was walking fine and his tail was up, however he had problems jumping into the car for walkies.
He seems to have difficulty jumping up when he is close to whatever he is about to jump on. he took a little few steps back from the car and couch and was able to jump up then.
He has had his breakfast so is not off his food.
he has had a back problem in the pat which has sorted itself out.
I just worry so much when it is his back legs...though other than that he is my usual happy boy!
I dont want to stress him with an immediate visit to the vet...whom he hates!
Can I get metacalm, which he has had before without having to physically take him to the vet and if not are there any other remedies? Or is it simply down to rest and sleep?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents Cocker had issues jumping it ended up being calicfied spine, ended up slipping a disk when he jumped out the car. it only cost 4k to fix.
    I would take him to the vet to at least Xray his back and make sure there is no calcium build up. Apprently it is quite common in cockers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dom D wrote: »
    My 6 year old cocker was showing signs of a bad back this morning. He was walking fine and his tail was up, however he had problems jumping into the car for walkies.
    He seems to have difficulty jumping up when he is close to whatever he is about to jump on. he took a little few steps back from the car and couch and was able to jump up then.
    He has had his breakfast so is not off his food.
    he has had a back problem in the pat which has sorted itself out.
    I just worry so much when it is his back legs...though other than that he is my usual happy boy!
    I dont want to stress him with an immediate visit to the vet...whom he hates!
    Can I get metacalm, which he has had before without having to physically take him to the vet and if not are there any other remedies? Or is it simply down to rest and sleep?
    Thanks in advance.
    If he is in pain and his free movement and agility is consequentially restricted he is likely to already be stressed by that anyway.
    Metacam is a prescription medicine so you need to get the medicine, or a prescription for it, from your vet who may well want to examine your dog first to establish exactly what the problem is.
    It may be a recurrence of his previous back problem or it may be something else entirely, or a different reason this time for him having a bad back.
    Metacam is a pain killer, depending on what is actually wrong with your dog the actually cause of the problem may need specific treatment rather than just treating the symptom (i.e the pain).