Options

Amy And The Wig ???

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
Hi everyone

I have seen a few references in a few posts around here stating that Karen has been wearing a wig.....

In which series/episodes ??

Any specific scenes/(with times please) when it was particularly obvious ???

Any official word on this ????

I must admit I haven't noticed this myself, and it does seem strange, as she always seems to have nice hair in other recent timesI have seen her, when she wasn't acting the part, ie. when relaxing with Arthur/Matt at Comic-con etc....

Please help !!!!!

Matt

Comments

• Options
    WhoMadWhoMad Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    You can see it clearly is a wig during the 'Pond Life' episodes released before the series started. There are scenes during The Power of Three and The Angels take Manhattan when it's a wig. These were 'Pick ups' filmed AFTER Karen and Arthur officially left the series. Karen decided to cut the front of her hair, just after she left, to give herself a fringe.

One example would be at the start of episode 4 when they are outside drinking.
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Pond Life' mainly and a few other pick-up shots.

It seems to have been a very last minute idea and was shot after she'd thought she'd finished with the series and had changed her hairstyle.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with the character changing her hair? Why did they feel a need to put a wig on her?
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    because Amy didn't go to the hairdressers during those stories, then grow it back again later during that same story. and then go back to the hairdressers again etc etc. It would be a continuity nightmare. Easier to go with a wig.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with the character changing her hair? Why did they feel a need to put a wig on her?

It's rather odd to have a character have different hair in consecutive scenes. It would break continuity.

She only filmed a few pick up shots, not the whole episodes.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Pond Life

2. Scene when they're sitting in the garden in "The Power of Three"

3. The shot revealing Amy and Rory have survived the jump in "The Angels Take Manhattan"

I found it really distracting. I don't see why they had to do a whole wig making her head look huge because of her actual hair underneath. The point of the wig was to conceal Karen's new fringe, but some carefully placed extensions could have done the trick.
  • Options
    gareth1408gareth1408 Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    The only time I noticed was at the end of 'TATM' when she and Rory sat up in the graveyard. Even then, I just thought it was the way her hair was falling or something, didn't think for one minute they'd put her in a wig, because I couldn't think of a reason why they'd do that.

Thanks to this thread, I now know! :)
  • Options
    owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aha! I thought her hair looked odd as well when they landed in the graveyard:eek::D Apart from that though, I didn't notice it any other time.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Yeah the first time I really noticed it was in the graveyard scene as well. I think it was particularly noticeable (and quite distracting) because one half of the scene was with the wig and then she was back to her normal hair.

Having said that, I think this was first time that I had read about the wig so I guess it might not be as obvious if you don't know to look for it and hopefully most casual viewers wouldn't notice.

BTW all this pick up shot business. Is that something that has always happened in Doctor Who? happens in other series as well? I've only ever read about it for Hollywood movies until now. It just strikes me as quite an expensive undertaking, re-hiring actors, re-locating etc etc
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    BTW all this pick up shot business. Is that something that has always happened in Doctor Who? happens in other series as well? I've only ever read about it for Hollywood movies until now. It just strikes me as quite an expensive undertaking, re-hiring actors, re-locating etc etc

It usually depends on the actors. Reshoots are probably stipulated in their contracts, provided they are available. As for the money, I'm sure they didn't fly Karen, Arthur and a crew back to New York to get a 5-second shot.
  • Options
    GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Sometimes during filming, things can go wrong that are so small that they can can only be picked up on during editing, and scenes have to be re-shot. When this happens, wigs are often used in order to keep continuity. It's easier to re-do makeup and costumes than it is to do hair.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    It usually depends on the actors. Reshoots are probably stipulated in their contracts, provided they are available. As for the money, I'm sure they didn't fly Karen, Arthur and a crew back to New York to get a 5-second shot.

The graveyard shots were all in Britain, anyway. So no real massive cost there. I think it's a regular occurrence nowadays.