Options

My Cavalier has a tumour and a heart murmur

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
Forum Member
hi

we are just back from the vets with my 5 year old Cav ... he's got a growth on his back which is a tumour which they want to remove, and whilst she was examining him she has found a "noticeable" heart murmur. They want to go ahead with the op (she said only 25% are cancerous but she said this does look nasty). I know the op itself is a risk, but looking beyond Thursday I need to know what to do to give him the best chances. Unfortunately, he is a stressy little dog and suffers terribly from "puppy paddies" (despite being 5!) and my fear is his little heart runs at 19 to the dozen when he's in a strop. The strops are around separation, but it's not typical anxiety, it's a tantrum if he gets left out of anything!

The vet has said that he can't have drugs 'til he's in failure, and there is no way of saying when that may happen. If and when it happens, drugs can keep them going for many more years, so I know at the moment I'm looking on the worse side, but I can't deal with waiting for something so sad to happen.

please can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear your wee dog isn't well at the moment. I don't have personal experience of heart murmurs in dogs, but I believe depending on the severity of the murmur, most dogs live quite happily with it.

All the very best for Thursday, I know how worrying it will be for you at the moment (we are going through something similar with our cat) and can only advise writing a list of all your questions and concerns and asking your vet. Please let us know how your dog gets on.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi there

We had 2 Cavaliers, both with heart murmurs. Bracken had a murmur from birth, hers didn't really get much worse and she never needed medication for it. She was quite highly strung, and we lost her when she was 14 after a fit :(

The second Cav, Rosie, developed a heart murmur aged about 7 or 8. Hers was very noticeable and got worse quite quickly. She had heart pills twice a day, as well as pills and medicine for other ailments. We lost her through old age last month, at the grand old age of 16 and 2 months!

Both dogs had surgery despite their heart murmurs, and both were fine. Obviously all dogs are different, but after my experiences I really wouldn't be too concerned about his heart with the surgery. I hope all goes well for you on Thursday :)
  • Options
    newto thisnewto this Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I'm very sorry to read about your cavalier, you must be very worried. I have a cav myself and they're little sweeties. Wish you well on Thursday.

If you go to the cavalier health forum I'm sure they'll be able to offer some advice. There's a section on heart problems.

You do have to register to post though.

http://www.cavalierhealth.co.uk/forums/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart murmers in Cavs are not at all unusual but most of them get through life, and operations, absolutely fine despite that :)
    Arguably it is less of a risk if they know it is there, as they know to be extra careful , than if it were an undiscovered murmer. As others have said they can go on happily for years with a murmer.
    However the tumour is very much more of a risk so the operation to remove that is a greater priority than the murmer.
    Good luck, it is such a worry when they aren't well but his murmer won't necessarily reduce his lifespan :).
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents have a cavalier, Josh, and he was diagnosed with a heart murmur, and takes medication every day for it

Since he has had it, the poor little mite has been run over, after he squeezed out of a small gap in a hedge when dad took him for a walk once and attacked, and nearly killed by a staff, whilst dad was waiting with him outside Salisbury's (it was so bad, the manager let him take him inside the store whilst they waited for the vet)

He's a tough little soul and his heart has withstood both traumas ...hes now an old man, and still plods around quite happily, although he's slow and can't go for long walks anymore

The good thing is, your dog has been diagnosed, so with the right medication and a careful diet, he should do fine :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thank you all so much for these replies :)

it's good to know they can live with these murmurs - I think I was looking at the worse case, but need to pull myself together. I'm being a big wuss at the moment :cry::o

out of interest, has anyone heard of / used coenzyme Q10 and/or folic acid for this complaint?

thanks again
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosie our old chihuahua had a heart murmur from birth, had cancerous growths removed twice when she was 8 and 10. She died when she was 13 when she had a growth that was not possible to be removed and we had to make the decision to PTS. She had a great life, no medication until she was 10 and just needed the occasional carry instead of walking home because she was tired.
  • Options
    Trix71Trix71 Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doggiesit a CKS, he has had a murmur from pup.. and is now 14.
    (just another one to make you feel better)
    :)
    Never heard of these suplement being used for that sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I've four CKC alltogether but only two of them have heart murmurs. My seven year old isn't on medication but my 12 year old is. He's been on medication since he was six and we were told he'll be lucky to see nine years old. Well he'll be 13 in February and he's like a big puppy. He's on tablets called Vetmedin which he takes twice a day. Our vet says his murmur's so bad it creeps her out to listen to it but that he's strong. So try not to worry but I know that's easier said than done,my 11 year old bitch had a stroke last month and we've been told she probably won't have more than six months left. But who can tell? I'm taking every day as it comes and she has recovered well,in fact she's the best she's been for a long time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just catching up on the here, hope everything went well for your little Cav's op.

My Emma has had a heart murmur since she was about 5, she's 10 now and has been on heart tabs, Fortekor and more recently Vetmedin ever since. She also has the start of kidney failure and is on special diet for that, but she is still lively, active and the best dog ever. :)

We had a Golden Retriever who had to have a tumour removed from his back, sadly that was cancerous, but he made a good recovery and had another two good years with us before his heart gave out, but he was 13 years old.

Hoping it's good news for you. :)
  • Options
    RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cavaliers are great dogs with a lot of positive character traits, and I can quite understand why so many people have them, but anyone who saw 'Pedigree Dogs Exposed' will know how horribly embedded their health problems have become.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. That programme broke my heart. Apart from my 11 year old bitch,my other three CKC are all dogs we've rehomed due to cruelty or a previous owners illness. CKC have fantastic personalities but you have to know the breed and what you are taking on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hi everyone :)

firstly, thank you all so much for your replies - it really did help me and Mr Windy put some more positive light on the situation.

The good news is that he is home with us again :):):)

the tumour has been removed well, and they've sent it off for tests. They have now confirmed that he does have MVD - the heart disease that so many Cavs get. Ironically, we saw a different vet yesterday and his train of thought is to get him on medication now, so he has started on vetmedin tonight.

In himself, he's still groggy from the op, and he's now chewed off his dressing - we put another one on, but he's had that off too!! will see how he gets on, otherwise it's the old big collar for him, which he hates :p

I know it's not "good" news, but at the end of the day, if he hadn't had the tumour we wouldn't have known about the heart, and he wouldn't be on medication now. I just hope he is as lucky as your many stories and will go on happily for many years... and we will carry on making sure that his life (and my other Cavs) is as happy as it can be - love 'em to bits :D:D:D

and seriously, thank you again SO much - it was lovely to hear that it's not all bad news - thank you
    Windy xxxx
  • Options
    Deb11Deb11 Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Glad to here your dog is well after the op.

My dog is nearly 11 (we think - he's a rescue) and the Vets said 9 years ago when I got him that he has a minor heart murmer/ irregular beating.

He's on no meds and goes for long walks twice a day and is very active.

And yes he's a big wuss on fireworks night and his heart goes nineten to th dozen after one loud bang but he's still very active and fit

Fingers crossed for both of them to a long and happy life
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww that's good news!