Options

Will You Be Watching The Super Bowl?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Where is this Superb Owl of which you speak, is it a native species of the UK?
  • Options
    Rascar_CapacRascar_Capac Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Originally Posted by walterwhite
    This source says 4m in the UK alone:-
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...r-6423166.html
    Semierotic wrote: »
    That figure surprises me. I assume that was a peak audience rather than an average, given the time and length it's on in the UK.

It's neither peak nor average, but an inflated figure, no doubt inspired by NFL UK's rather "enthusiastic" press releases, and a journalist doing zero research.

The real figure is around 660,000 for the average and under a million for the peak.
    http://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?t=103427&page=11

To be fair all sports play fast and loose with viewing figures, but NFL in the UK test the limits of credibility, no doubt because they feel they have to justify the London games to their US fans.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The London games clearly don't need to be justified if they sell out every time.

Having a college game in a 80k capacity stadium in the height of the GAA season is pushing it a bit though.
  • Options
    ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And? It's not a pissing contest.

Never said it was. Why so touchy?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misleading statistic of the day. The Man city vs Chelsea was AVAILABLE in 650m homes (1 in 11/12), but actual viewersip is more likely in the tens if millions. The Superbowl was VIEWED by 115m people, making it far more popular in terms of actual people watching.

Not intentional though, I heard the figures on the radio (travelling to the Old Firm game ironically), they didn't make it clear if that was watched or potential.

The SB is certainly the biggest watched event in N America, the Champions League final is of course by miles the biggest watched annually. This year of course, the Rugby WC will take huge viewing figures as well, the final of that will nestle 2nd behind the CL final as it did in 2011. And there will probably be a few EPL/FA Cup/CL/EL matches that will have 100m+ worldwide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not even close mate. Even in its 80's heyday on CH4, it got about a million or so. And another poster has already pointed out the actual figure isn't even a quarter of 4m. And that the NFL UK/Europe does tend to inflate figures. No way 4m of us Limeys are watching or even recording this in the early hours of the morning. Sorry.

Hope you enjoyed it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I dont get the negative comments about the NFL. I am not a fan of the sport, so I wont be watching it. However which ever channel is showing it here, must think its a good idea.

For those that watched it, hope you enjoyed the game.

I think its a reaction in the UK to the hype about it being the biggest sporting game on the planet. Its a distinct minority sport here and always will be (and that's fine) so about 95% of the UK frankly couldn't care less. The UK media coverage and the hype is out of proportion to its UK popularity. Esp. in a weekend where you have Rangers vs Celtic and Man City vs Chelsea and we are days away from the Six Nations.

Many British find it dull, slow, and oh-so-American to the point of caricature. The very type of loud, gaudy razamatazz we don't like from the States. The sport does nothing for us, the razamatazz even less.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even close mate. Even in its 80's heyday on CH4, it got about a million or so. And another poster has already pointed out the actual figure isn't even a quarter of 4m. And that the NFL UK/Europe does tend to inflate figures. No way 4m of us Limeys are watching or even recording this in the early hours of the morning. Sorry.

Hope you enjoyed it though.

Well anybody who watched it had a treat. Wonderful game. Like a tough rugby match with defences on top. Easy to see why these 2 got there, although seagulls were lucky to get by green bay in the semi