Make England qualify for the next cricket World Cup

jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
Forum Member
No progress since 1992.

Make England fight it out with the likes of Ireland and Bangladesh in a pre-qualifying tournament on a slow turner in Bangladesh in 2018.

Far fewer countries should automatically qualify.

Only the top 6 in the ODI rankings.

England no longer run the world game.

I'd be tempted to throw the West Indies into that pre-qualifying tournament as well

Comments

• Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    No progress since 1992.

Make England fight it out with the likes of Ireland and Bangladesh in a pre-qualifying tournament on a slow turner in Bangladesh in 2018.

Far fewer countries should automatically qualify.

Only the top 6 in the ODI rankings.

England no longer run the world game.

I'd be tempted to throw the West Indies into that pre-qualifying tournament as well

1 - Bangladesh don't have to qualify
    2 - England are in the top 6 ODI rankings
    3 - England have never run the world ODI game, in fact they have never won the ODI world cup
    4 - And most importantly, the next World Cup is in England so not having them there is suicidal

Apart from the above, a very well thought out post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    3 - England have never run the world ODI game, in fact they have never won the ODI world cup
    4 - And most importantly, the next World Cup is in England so not having them there is suicidal

... :D
  • Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    End of thread I would say!
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,641
    Forum Member

Lol 😁 😁 😁
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about a total rethink and having the world cup as a straight knockout over say 2 years

They could set aside a week at a time for a 'best of 3' tie between two countries that are drawn against each other.........obviously every country would have to set aside the same weeks

As countries get knocked out they can use those weeks to play friendly 3 match series against other teams that have been knocked out

You could have preliminary rounds for the lower countries along the lines of the FA Cup.......with say the four semifinalists from one competition getting byes to the quarter finals of the next one.........the four losing quarterfinalists from one completion would join the 4 teams that had won through the preliminary contested by the associate members and full members that failed to qualify for the previous tournament quarter finals........that would produce 4 more winners to join the 4 'bye' teams in a quarter final, semi-final and final
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    How about a total rethink and having the world cup as a straight knockout over say 2 years

They could set aside a week at a time for a 'best of 3' tie between two countries that are drawn against each other.........obviously every country would have to set aside the same weeks

As countries get knocked out they can use those weeks to play friendly 3 match series against other teams that have been knocked out

You could have preliminary rounds for the lower countries along the lines of the FA Cup.......with say the four semifinalists from one competition getting byes to the quarter finals of the next one.........the four losing quarterfinalists from one completion would join the 4 teams that had won through the preliminary contested by the associate members and full members that failed to qualify for the previous tournament quarter finals........that would produce 4 more winners to join the 4 'bye' teams in a quarter final, semi-final and final

Problem there though Swing is, summer in Australia is winter in England.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Problem there though Swing is, summer in Australia is winter in England.

but they play all year round now......so I don't think that matters

it's winter in England now but England are playing !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    but they play all year round now......so I don't think that matters

it's winter in England now but England are playing !

But if Australia draw New Zealand and England draw Ireland how can they play at the same time ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this now one of those threads where the OP doesn't return ?
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this now one of those threads where the OP doesn't return ?

I'm hardly surprised given how you shot their argument down so conclusively.

(Deservedly so, mind.)
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the best posts I've ever read on DS.
    Game set & match I would say 😆
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the reduction in teams to 10 for the 2019 World Cup, a qualifying tournament does make sense.

I think a similar format to last year's World T20 would be a good idea. A pre qualifying round played in the second half of May between the two lowest ranked major nations and the top 6 associates. 2 groups of 4 with the winners advancing to the main group stage.

The main stage would be played in June with 2 groups of 5 playing each other once. One game per day with the top 2 in each group qualifying for the semi finals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But if Australia draw New Zealand and England draw Ireland how can they play at the same time ?

yes, that could present logistical problems.......

would it be possible to have weeks set aside in the spring and autumn when seasons overlap........most of the Test playing nations will only need 3 or 4 weeks over 2 years.......the minor countries don't have a full schedule and can play anytime really
  • ThomasStirkThomasStirk Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah that makes sense let's have the host side not qualify :d: 4 years is a long time in cricket who knows what state we will be in when it comes around
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    Darren good post but one point is wrong.
    Bangladesh do have to qualify apart from that everything is correct.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Darren good post but one point is wrong.
    Bangladesh do have to qualify apart from that everything is correct.

Ah but not the current tournament. Plus they may be in the top 8 by then. I doubt it but you never know
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    I suppose technically everyone needs to qualify as it will be based on the ICC rankings

iirc new Zealand were ranked 9th when the draw for this tournament was made
  • ZnationZnation Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Besides the ECB wouldn't stand for an England team to be asked to qualify for a major cricking tournament, just imagine if the likes of India or Australia had to qualify, they'd be an outcry. Problem is that as soon as England lose a match in a major comp its all doom and gloom, they can still qualify for the next stage, how far they will get after that is anyone's guess.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    If the qualifying tournament was the week or two before the actual tournament and England were knocked out - would it really matter when one thinks back to 99 and England didn't make it out of the group stages?

And they weren't missed. Not a single memorable game in that tournament involved England.

The progression of India's arguably more important in a World Cup held in England.