Nascar 2015 Season Thread

clycly Posts: 1,393
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did a search and no results came back for Nascar 2015 season threads so If there are enough Nascar fans on here we could discuss all events related to the sport and also pre and post race thoughts and opinions in the one place. I can think of dozens of topics and wishes for the year ahead and love to hear other Nascar fans views. I know there are lots of Nascar fans in the UK but not sure how many are on DS?

Not too many hours to go until the start of the 2015 Nascar season proper which starts off with the little matter of the world famous Daytona 500.

Whilst looking forward to every moment of the racing to come, in one of the sports world longest seasons, i do feel cheated by the fact we again have the system introduced last year to decide the champion which in my eyes is a farce.

A driver can dominate 35 races and in the final 'winner takes all' race if he is the victim of somebody's else's crash or mechanical failure on that one day then somebody else goes down on the roll of honour as the 2015 Champion/Best driver in Nascar for that year! I also don't see how only 4 drivers in a field of 43 are eligible to win it as being a good thing.

Other sports that have play-offs or knock-out cup formats and finals don't change the basic core skills of how drivers compete all season long. However with Nascar's new format all of a sudden you are into a knock-out mentality and tactics, something that involves different skills from a team.

By all means if you want the winner takes all thing to attract viewers and casual sports viewers then have a single 'Cup Final' equivalent meeting with an enormous prize either for all drivers or the top four, but leave the 'Premier League' that is the full season of racing and traditional Chase as what determines the true Champion over the year.

Whilst i personally watch it for the sport itself, as in i never turn off a race if my driver exits early, and not just having favourite drivers others do lose interest if their fave is not in the mix. I know several fans who only watched a few of the Chase races after their driver exited in the first rounds when in previous years they watched them all. I forget what stupid name they attach to the first phase sounded something straight out of the circus that is WWE.

Plus in a format that Nascar heralded as making winning races all important we comically nearly had a Champion who never won a race all season long - including of course the final!

You can finish as low as can be so long as the other three drivers finish behind you. Gee let's hope we don't get a big wreck and three or all four drivers exit the race.

Anyway i still love the spectacle of the racing and all the drama in a race so i'll be watching every race this season.

I know a lot of people don't like Kyle Busch as he can be 'trying' in many ways to say the least, but it was sad to see him suffer a compound fracture of one leg and i think also broke the foot on his other leg. He certainly has always been a great racing driver.

Hope Kyle Larson wins a race this year i think he excelled as a rookie last year despite the high expectation on him.

Comments

• JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a great time at the Daytona500.
    That's one of the 3 bucket list races crossed off.

Here is my recollection of the event.

Lead in
    Saturday
    Sunday

Jp
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cly wrote: »
    You can finish as low as can be so long as the other three drivers finish behind you. Gee let's hope we don't get a big wreck and three or all four drivers exit the race.

That's a good point actually. Come Homestead, what do they do if all four crash out in one big wreck?
  • clycly Posts: 1,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    That's a good point actually. Come Homestead, what do they do if all four crash out in one big wreck?

Much trawling of video replay and timing loops to discern who wrecked last lol. Likely many a true word spoken in jest i fear.