Options

American v British Actors

goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm a great lover of my country and all things to do with it but - can think of eg David

Jason but very few others from the UK who make me forget they're actually acTORS

darlin' in the items in which they engage.

I think such as Leonardo Di Caprio and Tom Cruise are different people in every role

they play - ie I forget them and they just present the characters.

Overall I think American actors are more natural - ? a legacy of 'the Method' - what do others think?

Comments

• Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    I can't say I've ever noticed that actors from a certain country are more believable.

In my opinion, there are just as many terrible actors of British origin as there are American. Likewise for good actors.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I see your point when it comes to TV acting. I also think you can tell which actors have mostly worked in theatre and which have only done TV and film.
    I'm a big fan in general of American actors on film/TV. But Brits like Ian McShane were superb in Deadwood.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I'm a great lover of my country and all things to do with it but - can think of eg David

Jason but very few others from the UK who make me forget they're actually acTORS

I think such as Leonardo Di Caprio and Tom Cruise are different people in every role

Overall I think American actors are more natural - ? a legacy of 'the Method' - what do others think?
    Tom Cruise is a movie star, not a top actor.
    He plays himself and even his characters can basically have the same back story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFal553wR3k
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Rupert Graves is a bit of a chameleon and Colin Firth has done a variety of stuff. I think it's a bit of a myth personally.
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Tom Cruise is a movie star, not a top actor.
    He plays himself and even his characters can basically have the same back story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFal553wR3k

I don't think the characters he played in Valkyrie and in War of the Worlds were the same - In Valkyrie he was an aristocratic German officer standing up for what he believed and in War of the Worlds an ordinary man caught up in extraordinary circumstance - both in these parts were trying to deal with things beyond thier control but I wouldn't say Tom Cruise was just playing himself.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gary Oldman.

Sid Vicious to Lee Harvery Osward, Dracula to Beethoven, James Gordon to George Smiley. I completely believe whatever character he is playing and forgot about the actor all together.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't think the characters he played in Valkyrie and in War of the Worlds were the same - In Valkyrie he was an aristocratic German officer standing up for what he believed and in War of the Worlds an ordinary man caught up in extraordinary circumstance - both in these parts were trying to deal with things beyond thier control but I wouldn't say Tom Cruise was just playing himself.
    Yet both typical Tom Cruise performances.

The one I would cite as a 'stand out' performance, ie a world away from any of his others, would be in Tropic Thunder.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there are very few actors who are unrecognizable when in character.

Daniel Day Lewis and Lord Olivier spring to mind. Edward Norton as well,
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well pretty much every actor is 'method' in one form or another these days, it's a pretty broad term. Then there are actors who take it to the next level of intensity and go out of their way to disappear into their roles. Actors already mentioned like Gary Oldman, Daniel Day-Lewis as well as Anthony Hopkins, Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Andrew Garfield (guess what, they're all British). It used to be the case that British actors were more theatrical and distant and the Americans were the ones obsessed with the 'method'. I think that's changed. But Tom Cruise does play himself 9 times out of 10, people flock to his movies because theu want to see him and not him play a character.
  • Options
    D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This is a joke, right?
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as it may be de rigeur to knock Tom Cruise, I can never quite agree.

Yes, because of his stature, name and popularity the vast majority of his movie choices tend to be high-profile, box office blockbusters, and yes I will agree that he essentially plays himself in most of these roles, and most of his choices, for whatever reason, are the 'safe' ones.

But then people forget about roles in Born on the Fourth of July...Rain Man...Vanilla Sky...Collateral...and for me his finest acting role, Magnolia.

Most people remember the famous 'Respect the C**k' scene, but both interview scene following this, and the scene with Jason Robards dying are excellent.
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    Most people remember the famous 'Respect the C**k' scene, but both interview scene following this, and the scene with Jason Robards dying are excellent.

I absolutely adore his performance in Magnolia, the most excellent performance in an extremely well acted movie (I believe I added it to the 'best acting performances you have seen' thread on here).

However, I do understand why people don't rate him hugely in general. For every Magnolia or Born on the Fourth of July, there are three or four big budget movies where he phoned it in (although one could argue that those movies only deserved a 'phoned in' performance).
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Cruise, in my opinion, is much more of a star than an actor. The only film that I have seen him in where he didn't play the public image of Tom Cruise was 'Collateral', in which he was very much the bad guy.

A British actor who isn't an acTOR? How about Christopher Eccleston? Others have mentioned Gary Oldman, one of the best character actors around. Ditto Kate Winslet. American equivalents would include Johnny Depp and Jennifer Lawrence. These are all very fine actors, and the list does not end with them.

Can we not just be grateful that we are able to enjoy their work instead of worrying which country saw their births?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

they play
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    This is a joke, right?

My thoughts exactly. Tom f***ing Cruise?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a generalisation, but there may be something to this. The UK (or at least England, I can't speak knowledgeably about the other countries) has a long-standing tradition of 'rep' and 'am dram', which is full of cliches about hamming it up, enunciation, wild gesturing, hugely inappropriate casting etc. I can well imagine that any actor that comes from that background may not learn how to be naturalistic on stage, and therefore in front of the camera.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm actually more surprised by how many 'American' actors turn out to be Brits.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Cruise's roles do him no favors, which is why he is often looked down upon. But his performance in Magnolia held in very high regard. He is more of movie star, than an actor

The same with Angelina Jolie. If you look at her early roles, she was a young acclaimed award winning actress. She was essentially the J-Law of the mid-late 90's. But after winning an oscar, she did Tomb Raider and became a movie star and does films that do not show her talent. She made brief comebacks in award nominated roles such as The Might Heart and Changeling, but her high profiled relationship with Brad Pitt and endless naff movie star roles, people don't label her or take her seriously as an actress anymore. She is very much more of a Celebrity than an actress.