Options

HD DVD or Blu-Ray?

I'm looking at getting a new DVD player and was thinking of one of these, but unsure of which to go for or which is best? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    subofthedaysuboftheday Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    jdsomer wrote: »
    I'm looking at getting a new DVD player and was thinking of one of these, but unsure of which to go for or which is best? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Horses for courses.

Both have advantages and both have disadvantages.

Both play DVD's although you wont find a UK player that plays R1 dvd's .

I would prefer HDDVD because the players are cheaper and for the movie companies the discs are cheaper to produce.

The only thing BR has going for it is that some films companies are only releasing on that format.
    Although some discs are not region coded some are

HDDVD is also in the same boat but it also has cheap players and is region free.

If you are up for a PS3 then its BR playback is a bonus.

At the moment I would sit tight and see what happens as its still early days.

Despite Star Trek TOS and Heroes on HD DVD I have resisted dipping in.

Movie selections on both formats is pretty uninspiring at the moment
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    The Toshiba XE1 is now region free for both HDDVD and DVD, however not RCE Free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Personally I think Blu-ray is the much better format but it's still very early days. Standard definition DVD is still the king, but based on current disc sales, Blu-ray looks like it's going to be one competing in the next few years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I think Blu-ray will be the victor due to the massive industry support it has and the Ps3 is a massive tool in the market. (clever sony). Blu-ray is outselling HDDVD by quite a considerable margin.
  • Options
    berncolberncol Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HD wise, it's going to be an interesting Christmas in the States. Many stores will be selling HD-DVD players for just $180 with a disc bundle thrown in.
    Blu-Ray, meanwhile, will be boosted by the cheaper PS3.
  • Options
    JonUKJonUK Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    ßeta wrote: »
    The Toshiba XE1 is now region free for both HDDVD and DVD, however not RCE Free.

Only with the Australian firmware.
    Even though there are no region codes for HD DVD yet, if ever, the HD DVD world is still divided up into areas.

US
    Europe
    Asia(includes Australia)
    Japan.

If you update any other areas HD-XE1 with the Australian firmware, you'll be communicating with the Asia area servers when you go on-line.:eek:
    There's also the possibility that due to the wrong area IP address being seen you could be locked out of on-line content.
    Therefore if you require future firmware updates you'll get the wrong one.

The only way round this is if you have already updated with the Australian firmware is to download the next UK firmware direct, when it's available and burn it to disc.

UK Official Version Here.
  • Options
    ResidentSDResidentSD Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally much prefer the HD DVD format. The players are cheaper (from £115 for the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive, although an Xbox 360 is required) and the format itself seems much better with required features such as dual tuners for picture-in-picture and network port for accessing additional information via the internet. The HD DVD spec was finalised very early on, whereas the Blu-Ray Disc spec has only very recently been finalised, so potentially early players won't support all features on new discs - this won't be the case with the HD DVD players that are out.

However, the best format doesn't always win and it seems that Blu-Ray is going to win the format war because of much greater format support, so if you want to buy a player now a Blu-Ray Disc player maybe the way to go. Just grab a 40Gb PS3 for £280-ish and you're laughing. I just wish they weren't phasing the 60Gb out and I'd love that to be my Blu-Ray Disc player if the format wins. I just don't want to have to buy one now!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,524
    Forum Member
    ResidentSD wrote: »
    I personally much prefer the HD DVD format. The players are cheaper (from £115 for the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive, although an Xbox 360 is required)

Doesn't the Xbox360 plud HD DVD drive cost more than the PS3?. In which case the players are hardly cheaper?.

However, standalone HD DVD players are cheaper than standalone Blu Ray players - but really I think it's pretty obvious it's the PS3 that is giving Blu Ray the lead. Kids want a console, parents want to play HD - the PS3 is a very cost effective solution.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What sort of budget are you thinking of?

Simply put Blu-ray and to a slightly lesser extent HD DVD are far more expensive that a half decent DVD player.
    Cheaper HD players tend to have short comings in terms of Blu-ray it's the lack of the more advanced Profile 1.1/2.0 functions and HD DVD it's no 1080p on the base model.

If the actual initial buy in isn't a problem then it comes down to the movies and while HD DVD serves me very well just recently the Blu-ray camp have a much higher release rate.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Have you purchased a HD television yet? If not, then make sure you get a 1080p model and ensure that your new hi-def disc player can also output 1080p. With both of those, you should be blown away by the quality which far exceeds even upscaled DVD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zazou wrote: »
    With both of those, you should be blown away by the quality which far exceeds even upscaled DVD.

I should hope so, upscaled DVD's are still just SD, it looks nothing like HD at all. 1080P probably doesn't make much difference, 1080i is the same resolution anyway, it's mainly the lower compression used on a DVD that makes it look than broadcast HD, not being 1080P or 1080i.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I should hope so, upscaled DVD's are still just SD, it looks nothing like HD at all. 1080P probably doesn't make much difference, 1080i is the same resolution anyway, it's mainly the lower compression used on a DVD that makes it look than broadcast HD, not being 1080P or 1080i.

While agreeing that this is true I did, after some thought, decide to get an upscaling DVD Player (Sony DVP-NS78), and I believe that with HDMI and 1080P it gives FAR better results from my existing DVD collection than using SCART.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    While agreeing that this is true I did, after some thought, decide to get an upscaling DVD Player (Sony DVP-NS78), and I believe that with HDMI and 1080P it gives FAR better results from my existing DVD collection than using SCART.

I take it you've not got an HD source then?, and it sounds like you perhaps weren't using RGB via the SCART lead?.

We sell the Sony players, and on a Sony TV there's barely any difference between RGB SCART and upscaled HDMI - I certainly couldn't tell you which was which. If the upscaler in your TV isn't very good though, I would expect an upscaling DVD player to give a decent improvement.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the technology for both systems is far to new for my taste at the moment. Many standalone players have lmitations such as no HDMI 1.3, or limited or failed support for new interactive features, or being limited to 1080i at the upscaler, or no support for 24fps, or.......you get the idea.

Dont forget that Samsung make a hybrid HD-DVD/BlueRay player - although the reviews say the performance of this machine is less than a single format machine, plus, the hybrid costs more.

Best value must be the latest PS3 - a half decent BlueRay player + games. But your stuck on the Blue Ray format.

There is another thing to keep in mind - the "next gen" disc formats may not take over from normal DVD. Remember that CD was to be replaced by SACD or DVD-A, but it didnt happen. Internet downloads are now taking over. This could happen for video too, especially while there are two disc formats fighting each other.

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We sell the Sony players, and on a Sony TV there's barely any difference between RGB SCART and upscaled HDMI - I certainly couldn't tell you which was which. If the upscaler in your TV isn't very good though, I would expect an upscaling DVD player to give a decent improvement.
    Its possible that sony put the same scaler chip in the TV as they did in the player ?

Though, I can see the difference between RGB scart and Progressive Scan Component plain as day. So I would have thought if you set the player to 720p instead of 1080i you would have seen a improvement. You may have even got better results if you set the player to output 576p and let the TV do all the upscaling.

To be honest though, I wouldent waste my money on a HDMI upscaling DVD player. As you say, there isnt much of a improvement unless your TVs scaling is bad.

-Chris
  • Options
    subofthedaysuboftheday Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I think Blu-ray will be the victor due to the massive industry support it has and the Ps3 is a massive tool in the market. (clever sony). Blu-ray is outselling HDDVD by quite a considerable margin.

But with Paramount /Dreamworks dropping Bluray thats set to change.

BR may have support on paper but most of the electronics companies who say they are in favour of it have yet to bother putting any players out there.

I would say that HDDVD has a more promising future at the moment .

The budget priced players will certainly help it.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member

That was due to a nice $150 Million donation from Microsoft to become HD DVD Exclusive for 18 Months. After the 18 Months (hopefully a winner will be more noticeable) Paramount and DreamWorks can then release films on Blu-ray.

Personal opinion, I think Blu-ray is looking good, it's even storming ahead in America now, plus all 4 Die Hard films are coming out on it. Die Hard, in HD, what more could you want?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »

Personal opinion, I think Blu-ray is looking good, it's even storming ahead in America now, plus all 4 Die Hard films are coming out on it. Die Hard, in HD, what more could you want?

I'm a HD DVD owner and admit that I can not see any circumstances that would lead to the death of Blu-ray. Even if HD DVD has a bumper xmas (sub $200 players are a reality) and continued solid releases at the very best I could only see a formal neutral stance from all studios.

Again it comes to the price of the hardware (console/standalone), what features are important to you (region free, ethernet, pip, PCM audio etc) and the current and future movie lineups from supporting studios.

Hopefully 2008 will see a genuine lineup of dual players although price wise owning two machines is viable when compared to the launch price of the formats:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The following quote from the VP of HD media in Warner Brothers could spell trouble for HD-DVD

...."Also there was Dan Silverberg, VP of high-definition media for Warner Home Video, which since Paramount’s move to the HD DVD camp is the only studio to support both next-generation formats.

That may not be for long, Silverberg said. “One thing that may be changing is our strategy,” he said. “When both formats launched and hardware prices were high, we made a decision to support both formats and let the consumer decide. But now that hardware pricing is affordable for both Blu-ray and HD DVD, it appears consumers no longer want to decide — so the notion of staying in two formats for the duration is something we are re-evaluating now that we are in the fourth quarter.”

Silverberg noted that Warner has the top-selling Blu-ray title of all time with 300 and is consistently No. 1 or No. 2 in both Blu-ray sales market share and in number of Blu-ray titles in the market.

“We can definitely talk Blu-ray,” he said. “We are committed to the format.”

Article link
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't the Xbox360 plus HD DVD drive cost more than the PS3?. In which case the players are hardly cheaper?.

thats what i thought. also having it built in to the ps3 is neater
    it will be interesting to see how it plays out over christmas, especially with many 'cheap' blu-ray players(new ps3) expected to be sold with the price drop, fixing them to the blu-ray format

The budget priced players will certainly help it.
    definatly with the consumer attitude at the moment. with sharp on the blu-ray format i thiink they are due to launch a 'budget' player also
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member

It's a shame Die Hard 4 is one of the worst films ever made.
    Love the first 3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    legzakimbo wrote: »
    It's a shame Die Hard 4 is one of the worst films ever made.
    Love the first 3

airplane 2 was pretty bad:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    No, not a b. A bomb!!
  • Options
    mixedgrillbodymixedgrillbody Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    That was due to a nice $150 Million donation from Microsoft to become HD DVD Exclusive for 18 Months. After the 18 Months (hopefully a winner will be more noticeable) Paramount and DreamWorks can then release films on Blu-ray.

It doesn't really matter why Paramount swapped over just that they have.

While Die Hard in HD would be nice I'd prefer Star Trek and HDDVD is already starting to offer that.

Its a shame that Spielberg titles are still absent.

Its about time Universal gave us Jaws,Jurassic Park and Back to the Future.

That would certainly move things along.

At the moment neither format has released any killer titles
  • Options
    johnny777johnny777 Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    This battle is going to rage on for a long time. I've decided to bite the bullet and have a Toshiba HD-EP35 on order. I like the range of titles available on HD-DVD, and the fact that they are not region coded - also cheaper too. No point in waiting to see who wins......could be years down the line, and in that time I want to enjoy HD.