Tesco Clearing HD Boxes for £30

Comments

• GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Main reason I purchased 3 of these boxes was for BBCIplayer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Main reason I purchased 3 of these boxes was for BBCIplayer.

So did I but it now does not matter as the box failed the other week:-)
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the grey "This version closing" banner on both my Technika box and my Sony blu-ray player and have lost access to radio on both devices as well-I just get a screen saying "catch-up radio is no longer available on this version of i-player. Not happy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I've got the grey "This version closing" banner on both my Technika box and my Sony blu-ray player and have lost access to radio on both devices as well-I just get a screen saying "catch-up radio is no longer available on this version of i-player. Not happy.

My Sony blu-ray BDP-S185 has had the message "catch-up radio is no longer available on this version of i-player" for a few months now.
    Sony were not very helpful when I contacted them about it.
    The BBC TV stuff still played ok.
    Yesterday when I switched it on, I saw the "This version is closing" banner.
    I'd be surprised if Sony fix the problem.
    I only bought it in November 2011.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In case anyone is interested, I have two STBHDIS2010s that are surplus to requirements up on eBay at the moment, and an unused spare remote control. I have made it clear in the listings that iPlayer may not work after September. It's probably not good form to post the links here, so if anyone wants them, please PM me.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    Viewer66 wrote: »
    Yesterday when I switched it on, I saw the "This version is closing" banner.
    I'd be surprised if Sony fix the problem.
    I only bought it in November 2011.

Then complain to both Sony and the BBC.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The critical issue with older kit is what the manufacturer claimed at the time of purchase. I have a Sony S380 Bluray player bought in early 2011 which will lose iPlayer in September. There is no mention of any Smart TV features in the manual and even some reviews at the time ignored this aspect. The main interest with players at the time was (surprise!) how well they played discs and as far as I remember I did not even realise it had iPlayer and other online content until I connected to the Internet to check for firmware updates.

Of course, none of this applies to the STBHDIS2010s which are the subject of this thread as Tesco did not even promise a network connection when we bought them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a sticker on my three boxes saying that the STBHDIS2010 could access BBCiplayer. Main reason why I went for them and they were very cheap of course!
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about the later versions which were quite pricey in store. When I bought mine for £19.99 it came with 0161 firmware and only acquired network/iPlayer functions with 0225 (courtesy of kasg). If Tesco advertised iPlayer on yours why not complain. I doubt they will fix them but you might get a refund if you make enough noise. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be able to prove it though as I don't think I have any of the boxes. The only mention of them being able to access BBCiplayer was a sticker on each box. My three boxes also had firmware v0161 and I had to upgrade to the newer firmware to access BBCiplayer.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As posted elsewhere though Tesco will simply use the legal argument that they are not responsible for the provision or withdrawal of external services associated with the box. The primary function of the box is to receive DTT transmissions, as long as it does that Tesco aren't responsible for anything else it may or may not do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it hasn't actually stopped working yet and it is possible that one of the geniuses on here may be able to get it to continue working, we'll have to see.
  • RobboRobsRobboRobs Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Sad to say my box just all of a sudden stopped working a couple of weeks back now, just switched itself off with no warning - the power light (red/green one) does not light up anymore and its a dead brick :(

I bought myself a youview box and even though it is obviously a much better box I would have liked to keep the technika as a spare for say the bedroom.

Thanks again for all who helped keep the box alive for the iplayer etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Power supply or perhaps capacitors on power pcb?

Internal fuse?
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member

There's a potential fix for this problem here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72894448&postcount=243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobboRobs wrote: »
    I bought myself a youview box and even though it is obviously a much better box I would have liked to keep the technika as a spare for say the bedroom.
    You're welcome to bid on one of mine on eBay :) At the moment the spare remote control is proving a lot more popular than the boxes - I should have just put the remote controls on and junked the boxes!
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    You're welcome to bid on one of mine on eBay :) At the moment the spare remote control is proving a lot more popular than the boxes - I should have just put the remote controls on and junked the boxes!

Hehe sneaky sales pitch Kasg :D
    Forum Member

Internal fuse?

Thx for the suggestions Granny - I will have another look to see f I can see any bulging etc.
    chrisy wrote: »
    There's a potential fix for this problem here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72894448&postcount=243

Thx Chrissy that sounds worth trying if I can manage the soldering, Im not expierenced with soldering much at all ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobboRobs wrote: »
    Hehe sneaky sales pitch Kasg :D
    Yeah, I know, but you've got to try! :) One box went for £10.50 + P&P, one for £8.50 + P&P and the remote control on its own for £8.51 + P&P!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Though my box in the kitchen is used every day for Freeview reception I haven't used iPlayer on either of my two boxes for months so hadn't seen the warning banner. Went to watch something on iPlayer this evening on the kitchen one and got little more than some rectangular blocks on the screen. Power cycled it and waited until it reloaded, then tried again but just the same. Went to the other box and same non-useful screen there too. :-( So it looks like "The end is nigh" is now "The end has come."

Despite mention in an earlier post of "Tesco-Technika 2012" being supported, it is another model in the list at http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/information/technika (linked from http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/New-BBC-iPlayer-for-Connected-TVs-update via http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/television_iplayer)

Grrrh!
    Forum Member
    As the boxes are all presumably under six years old and are no longer fit for purpose due to no fault of our own can they not be returned under EU warranty law??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chiswick11 wrote: »
    As the boxes are all presumably under six years old and are no longer fit for purpose due to no fault of our own can they not be returned under EU warranty law??
    Sorry, but there is no such law.
    Forum Member
    OK, Sale of goods act 1979.??
    It may not have failed but it is not or no longer fit for he purpose it was bought for?
    What are you entitled to?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them were not sold with iPlayer as a selling point. Anything you might be entitled to would be reduced to account for the benefit you had got from it. Unlikely to be worth pursuing given how cheap these were going for and how ubiquitous iPlayer functionality (and more) is on new equipment.
    Forum Member
    I don't need my one as I have a Humax STB and a Youview box.