Options

DSFE 74 - Spread love everywhere you go, even as far as Tromso!

Comments

• Options
    Lurker62Lurker62 Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quarterfinal 3
    1. Romania LETTY - Tell me if you know
    2. Austria Edenbridge - Alight A New Tomorrow
    3. Slovakia Kristina - Na bieleho koňa
    4. Sweden Darin - Nobody Knows
    5. Hungary Adina - Insomnia
    6. France Chløë Black - 27 Club
    7. Lebanon NACH - Coeur De Pierre
    8. Greece Foals - Mountain at My Gates
    9. Czech Republic 5Angels - Běž dál
    10. Ukraine Olga Romanovskaya - Hold me more strong
    11. The Netherlands Yellow Claw ft. Ayden - Till It Hurts
    12. Italy Chiara - Siamo adesso
    13. San Marino Jack Savoretti - Back Where I Belong
    14. Portugal Shawn Mendes ft. Camila Cabello - I Know What You Did Last Summer
    15. New Zealand Jamie McDell - Crash
    16. Luxembourg Eefje de Visser - Scheef

PLAYLIST

-Vote for your top 10, Eurovision style (12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
    -You are required to vote if you have an entry in this quarterfinal. Or, your song will be disqualified.
    -If a forum member in a Valentine’s team did not vote, it will become an individual entry for the other person.
    -Top 11 will qualify to the semifinals, while the Bottom 5 will say bye-bye. :(
    -Voting ends at 4PM 20th of February (Saturday). (I want to give the results before all the national final craziness. :blush:) 
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quarterfinal 4
    1. Iran Magic Giant - Set on Fire
    2. Georgia Yaseniya - Mon Ami (Prem’era!)
    3. Azerbaijan Emin - Boomerang
    4. Bulgaria Marina Kiskinova - Nepoznat
    5. Moldova Nicoleta Nuca - Inima Mea
    6. Slovenia Anay - 2night
    7. Cyprus Ivi Adamou - Tipota De Mas Stamata
    8. Latvia Paula Dukure - The Missing Ingredient
    9. Serbia Marko Balabanović - Slep Kod Očiju
    10. Belarus IOWA - B’ët Bit
    11. Lithuania Evelina Young - Can't Wake Up
    12. Northern Ireland The Late Twos - Sierra Leone
    13. Albania Genta Ismajli - Kishe
    14. Kazakhstan Indira Edilbaeva - Zharygym
    15. Montenegro Vlado Georgiev - Iskreno
    16. Turkey Karnaval ft. Iskender Paydas - Gitme

PLAYLIST

-Vote for your top 10, Eurovision style (12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)
    -You are required to vote if you have an entry in this quarterfinal. Or, your song will be disqualified.
    -If a forum member in a Valentine’s team did not vote, it will become an individual entry for the other person.
    -Top 11 will qualify to the semifinals, while the Bottom 5 will say bye-bye. :(
    -Voting ends at 4PM 20th of February (Saturday). (I want to give the results before all the national final craziness. :blush:) 
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    QF1 Review

ISLE OF MAN: I am always here for dark tracks and videos. I quite like it
    FAROE ISLANDS: Not groundbreaking but cute
    DENMARK: Decent. I am guessing the chorus will start annoying me after some listens though.
    BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA: I can't even consider this as a fun entry because it's horrifyingly bad
    MALTA: Too depressing
    ICELAND: Different and interesting
    CROATIA: Loved the intro but nothing impressive followed up. Plus she needs to cool down with the plastic surgeries because even the sandman in the beginning of the video looks more like a human being that she does.
    SPAIN: I love Pablo's voice. The song is nice
    TASMANIA: It isn't a bad song but it didn't grab me as it should have
    NORWAY: Quite a strong song and nice vocals
    NORTH AFRICA: Not one of Loreen's stronger songs, but it's still Loreen. I can't help it, I love this woman.
    ENGLAND: I just adore Birdy. She looks like a medieval queen. I also love the song, glad she stepped away from the piano ballads for a moment.
    ISRAEL: I am having a hard time understanding anything she says but I am really enjoying this. Its builds up nice. And that beard!
    MONACO: I think it would be better if the song was all in English. I like the cat
    WALES: Country music just isn't my thing
    ANDORRA: Si, I am into this! Great vibe.
  • Options
    ChickenFromKievChickenFromKiev Posts: 7,427
    Forum Member
    Isle of Man (♥♥♥♥): What a great start to the contest! The singer is good, the song is strong, but I do feel like there's something lacking to stop it being really good for me. Can see this doing well.

Faroe Islands (♥♥♥♥♥): This is a really good entry, not groundbreaking by any means, but it's sweet and I really like it. Gets better as the song progresses.

Denmark (♥♥♥♥): The chorus is irritatingly repetitive, but other than that, this is a pretty good song. Good singer, the verses are nice, good find.

Bosnia & Herz. (♥♥♥): As a song, it's not at all good, but as an entry for Bosnia, this is great. Nowhere near as bad as Greek is saying, I actually like this a lot. :blush:

Malta (♥♥♥♥): This is also quite repetitive that it gets annoying, but it's quite different and I like that. Builds up to something that is never really delivered though.

Iceland (♥♥): Not for me, sorry. Takes ages to actually get going, and when it does, it's quite anticlimactic. The singer's pretty good though.

Croatia (♥♥♥♥): I was expecting slutpop. I am disappointed. This starts off really well, and the chorus is really good, and I was expecting it to drop off, but it doesn't. Very good find.

Spain (♥♥): You would've thought that with a country like Spain you could not enter DSFE 70's winner? Well, at least he's Spanish I suppose (unlike Senor Loco xD), but I wasn't particularly keen on his winner and this is worse for me, quite dull.

Tasmania (♥♥♥): While being slightly disturbed by the video, I do quite like this. Catchy and the chorus is strong, but I feel like it's missing something.

Norway (♥): This starts off well, but I can sense the awful dance pop stuff filtering in after 30 seconds, and then the song is ruined. Not for me.

North Africa (♥): Loreen + 2012 + weird dance pop marching stuff = me disliking it intensely. I do think I know who entered this though, so I'll give it one heart. ;)

England (♥♥♥): I'll admit that this has grown on me, as I expected it would, but I do prefer her ballads. Pretty good though, I feel like I'll regret not entering it for Belgium when I could. :p

Israel (♥♥♥♥): Wow, that voice. <3 I can't understand what she's saying but I like it. Gets better after the first chorus, a very good find.

Monaco (♥♥♥♥♥): One of my favourites in this QF, definitely. I think the French/English works really well, and the fact that it intensifies throughout makes me enjoy this a lot. Also, the cat. <3

Wales (♥♥♥): I do really like country music if it's done right, and it's done right here. Liking this, although it's quite forgettable.

Andorra (♥♥): Is this him from the Spanish selection? Okay. Fun but not great or groundbreaking by any means. It's alright but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Quite a strong QF, will be difficult to work out my votes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Armenia (♥♥♥): This is a good find but for me it's not doing much. Quite catchy though, and I do quite like it.

Scotland (♥♥♥): I could actually remember how this went after listening to it before, so that's something. However, the singers make the song quite dull for me.

Liechtenstein (♥♥♥♥♥): Much better than Last of Our Kind, I wouldn't be surprised to see this win. Chorus is brilliant and the song is just strong as a whole.

Western Asia (♥♥♥): She kinda sounds like Leona Lewis. This is borderline cringe and patronising, and the chorus doesn't do much for me, but this is good.

Australia (♥♥♥♥): One of my favourite Sia songs, that's for sure. At least it doesn't have a sickeningly repetitive chorus. Good choice.

SIDE NOTE: If I hear that awful "don't you dare press that skip button again" one more time I'll give 12 points to Loreen. (Not really. :p)

Svalbard (♥♥♥♥): This is really good, I'm not sure why her terrible songs got popular while this didn't. I like this.

Belgium (♥♥♥): Not as good as Give Me The Knife imo. I didn't enter this for Belgium because I thought it wouldn't do well and I wasn't a huge fan of it, but I'm not surprised it's turned up here.

Germany (♥♥♥): After another listen, Adele's actually better than this. :p Just wondering why they're wearing blazers at that age, is it a posh school? The song's okay.

Poland (♥♥): Ooh, straight out of the 90s. This is actually from 2007, which makes more sense. It's alright I suppose, but very dated.

Finland (♥♥♥♥): She went from Marry Me to this. I suppose married life didn't really work out. This is quite a strong entry, catchy and I like it.

Gotland (♥♥♥): Quite generic to be honest, not feeling this a lot. It's pretty good, and she sings well, just a bit average.

Switzerland (N/A): Not available. Oops. :blush:

Russia (♥♥♥): I've been waiting for this to appear, this is pretty good. Not my sort of thing but it's catchy and it's not bad.

Macedonia (♥♥♥♥♥): I didn't have high hopes for this, but this is exactly the sort of thing I like. Catchy, fun, and a cool video. Very good.

Estonia (♥♥♥): This doesn't seem like the sort of thing that'll do well here, but I quite like it. He's a good singer and it's not completely unbearable.

Ireland (♥♥♥♥♥): You could say I'm 50/50 on this one... :p No, I actually really like it. It's generic, but I like it. One of my favourites here, the chorus is particularly great.

Not as strong as QF1, lots of average-good songs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CFK, would this one work for Switzerland? There's a reason why the forum member prefers the lyric video to the actual video.
    http://youtu.be/S4-0FlVI13s
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That video also doesn't work. :/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I found a confirmed working link for Switzerland
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqsBLbZHys8

I'll update the playlist when I get home in a couple of hours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I struggled with this one today as I'm using a new software.
    Hopefully tomorrow it will be smooth sailing for the remaining three recaps.

DSFE 74 Quarterfinal 1 RECAP
  • Options
    Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    recaps look good lurker!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great job with the recaps! :)

What software did you use? :kitty:
  • Options
    JonahTakaluaJonahTakalua Posts: 2,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the recaps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This next recap went way better. Two more to go!
    CFK, I'm using Corel VideoStudio 8 as I found it on sale at a store near me. I'm still figuring stuff out though.

DSFE 74 Quarterfinal 2 Recap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally finished the recap for Quarterfinal 3! :)
    Greece's video clip is flattened. But, it still works very well. I hope to post the fourth one tomorrow.

DSFE 74 Quarterfinal 3 Recap
  • Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    QF1 review:)
    Isle of Man - Well what a way to start this is. The operatic vocals really work. 9
    Faroe Islands - I was ready to love this, expecting it to get really anthemic, but it just...didn't. Shame (top marks for a singer called Bang though :p). 7
    Denmark - Generic Scandipop. Meh. 6
    Bosnia - After 34 contests, I think you know what I'll make of this, so, um...yeah. 3
    Malta - Cripes, this is dark. Like Faroes, it didn't go quite where I thought it would but it's alright. 6
    Iceland - I like this at the end much more than I thought I would at the start. 7
    Croatia - This is like a mashup of every Balkan genre imaginable, but somehow sounds really good. Surprising. 9
    Spain - I thought his winner was good & so is this. 8
    Tasmania - This is droning on a bit. 5
    Norway - Electro can be really, really good. Unfortunately it can be as clubby as this. Sorry. 4
    North Africa - Loreen is back, I sympathise with anyone who gets a country like this. Not up with her best. 5
    England - When she was on the one show on Friday, someone asked me if this was our real Eurovision entry. I'd be very pleased if it was. 9
    Israel - I like the tune, but her voice is grating me. Might grow. 6
    Monaco - I'm all for quirky but this might be one strangeness too far. 4
    Wales - Welsh Nashville :p. It's not at the top, but very nice to listen to. 8
    Andorra - Sorry Andorra, but your rivals won out here, Spain did this kind of thing better. 6
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the recaps!
  • Options
    GreekFanGreekFan Posts: 6,203
    Forum Member
    QF2 Review

ARMENIA: Fine
    SCOTLAND: I usually like vintage-inspired entries but these singers are irritating me, especially the male one.
    LIECHTENSTEIN: I love this, Switzerland stand good chances with her at Eurovision this year
    WESTERN ASIA: Great vocals ( indeed very Leona Lewis-sque as someone mentioned ). Everything else is cheesy but I don't really mind it
    AUSTRALIA: Sia's songs sounds all identical to me. However I like it
    SVALBARD: Solid
    BELGIUM: Alright
    GERMANY: Hedley ♥ Perfect
    POLAND: Disaster. Thanks for the trip in 1998 though!
    FINLAND: Light pop was what I expected from her and that was what I got. Better than Marry me but I wish she could inject some quality into her songs.
    GOTLAND: Ok I guess, a bit generic
    SWITZERLAND: Simply beautiful. I really like this
    RUSSIA: I love this girl. The song isn't very strong but I like the video
    FYR.MACEDONIA: Surprisingly, I am enjoything this. Very pleasant, seems like it's time for Fyr Macedonia to do well in here.
    ESTONIA: I like his voice. I wish the song was better but not bad at all overall
    IRELAND: Nothing special for me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reviews!
    Keep 'em coming! :kitty:
  • Options
    TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey all, if you have a spare moment it would be great if you could find the time to vote in my Austria and Denmark NF Re-Votes, more information and youtube links can be found through the following link

AUSTRIA

DENMARK

Voting for Italy and Switzerland will also open in the next few days (either tomorrow or Thursday)

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the recap for Quarterfinal 4!
    Terry, I think I can finally vote on the NFs as I finished all the recaps this week.

DSFE 74 Quarterfinal 4 Recap
  • Options
    mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doing my reviews in two parts for each QF this contest. ;-)

QF1 - PART 1

Isle of Man: This was very uninspiring, it doesn’t really go anywhere and I just couldn’t get into it. I’m sure it’ll have its fans but that won’t be me.
    Faroe Islands: Two of them have very interesting voices that go well together, but the other guy is just useless. The song’s alright but its tempo prevents it from really starting up proper.
    Denmark: Verses are very straightforward and mainstream in style but then this strangely unmelodic chorus comes in and I ended up actually liking it.
    Bosnia & Herzegovina: I have no words to describe this. It’s brilliantly done and it really made me laugh. And the chorus manages to be very catchy too!
    Malta: This is very well done, it really effectively sets a mood, and her singing is very expressive too, so although there’s no real ‘climax’ it keeps me interested throughout.
    Iceland: There are parts to this which I like, but overall I don’t see what it’s trying to do and it just leaves me only mildly satisfied.
    Croatia: Her voice doesn’t have that typically Balkan irritating thing to it, and the song is okay too I guess, although it’s not the most memorable.
    Spain: Another piano-breaker, eh? It’s no Tu Enemigo, but it does build nicely I guess and the strength of his voice really shows here too.

Not very impressed so far :p
  • Options
    mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QF1 - PART 2

Tasmania: This is giving me some faith in this QF now, it’s a solid and memorable song that I’m quite enjoying. A good start to the second half.
    Norway: I think I’ve already heard this, and it’s pretty good. It is very catchy, and even if I don’t usually like mildly electronically or generic pop songs, this was done with the right amounts.
    North Africa: Well this is exactly the type of electronic music I don’t like, and I really don’t like Loreen either so that’s two dislikes in one.
    England: I’ve heard this song on the radio quite often recently but I had no idea it was Birdy. She’s really evolving and for the better: this song is great!
    Israel: This is intriguing from the beginning, and the chorus matches up to the verses’ set expectations perfectly. I’m not sure whether the electronic effects were necessary here though.
    Monaco: I’m think I know who sent this and if it is them, thank you for not taking the entry I want to send :). Unfortunately I don’t like Emji and am only half impressed by this.
    Wales: I recall not liking a previous entry of theirs, but I guess this is a decent little song. I think I would prefer it with simpler instrumentation at times and a stronger hook though.
    Andorra: This is a good end to the QF, it’s a slightly different style to the usual Spanish entry and combined with both a great voice and chorus that’s more than enough to make me like it.

The second half was far better than the first, overall a pretty good QF
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just as I thought I was beginning to agree with you, Mika... ;)

At least we can share a disliking towards Loreen. :p
  • Options
    BethnalGreenBethnalGreen Posts: 12,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikabv wrote: »
    Monaco: I’m think I know who sent this and if it is them, thank you for not taking the entry I want to send :). Unfortunately I don’t like Emji and am only half impressed by this.
    If you are thinking that this is me, then I'm afraid it isn't. :p Although, I am interested to see how well it does. To explain to others, this was at the top of my list when Nunaney, mika and me had France in Aberdeen. I 'lost' :D
  • Options
    yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    QF2 review:)
    Armenia - I love the Armenian diaspora & the random entries it produces :p. This has been doing well lately in real world, I like it. 7
    Scotland - Sounds like it could be from my birth year - it's better than the middle. 7
    Liechtenstein - I dipped out of Switzerland on Saturday because Denmark, but if their entry's like this it'll do well. The good side of electro. 9
    Western Asia - Sep(p) :o It's one of those songs which can't not be cringey even though you agree with the sentiment...meh. 5
    Australia - Sia songs do sound similar but at least this doesn't have the eeeiiiii sound like a bike that needs oiling in this one. 6
    Svalbard - Some big names here...shame she's been a one-hit wonder, this is the best I've heard of hers. 8
    Belgium - Is that...a Borismaster? This is so catchy, can't not be caught up in it :). 8
    Germany - A song of 2 halves. Good: The verse and chorus itself. Bad: The Pre-chorus & time the video goes on before starting #pethate. 7
    Poland - When Scandipop goes tacky :(. 4
    Finland - I prefer Marry Me & her DSFE winner. 5
    Gotland - When Scandipop goes good. Clubby a bit, but not overbearing. 8
    Switzerland - Live performance bravery, but can't not see this as a not-so-good Kings of Leon attempt. 6
    Russia - I think if she'd entered Vienna with something like this instead of Million Voices, she'd have won*. Good one. 9
    Macedonia - Interesting. Like the strings but not sure on her voice. Will mark it up in the hope it gets the chance to grow on me. 8
    Estonia - Oh Estonia, really? Not keen, sorry. 4
    Ireland - Sounds like the Sia song but less screechy. And therefore better. Very strong end to the QF. 9