Options

Win 8 .... who needs it..?

Comments

• Options
    chitariverachitarivera Posts: 36,905
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    You an use Outlook on Windows 7 or 8. Unless its a really old version of Outlook, that is. Outlook 2003 onwards definitely works on Windows 7, as I've installed it for lots of people. I think prior versions are not compatible, though.

Not sure about how far compatibility goes back with Windows 8, but Outlook 2010 and 2013 both work, as I've used both with it.

It wouldn't work on mine.

I've got Thunderbird now - which is fine, but it was just a pain not being able to just start where I left off on the new laptop and continue using the Outlook I was used to.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't work on mine.

I've got Thunderbird now - which is fine, but it was just a pain not being able to just start where I left off on the new laptop and continue using the Outlook I was used to.

What version of Outlook were you trying to use and what error was it giving?
  • Options
    omeletpercyomeletpercy Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    advid wrote: »
    ..all I want from ANY os is just to switch on my laptop or desktop and 'quickly' boot up and get into my required software... ( eMAIL / Web / Word / Excel / Powerpoint/ Photohop ect ect) and get on with what I need to do...

I really doesn't matter what my opening screen is like - tiles / icons or even a good old text menu - just click and go and get on with what I need to do....

Is all this colourful 'easy to use' stuff that Win 8 gives us actually what people who 'use' their pc's for work (and occasional pleasure) really want ?

I'm still quite happy with XP on a couple of desktop PC's....and my laptops run Win 7...

It's actually slower to get to those things compared to Windows 7.

Win 7 = Boot, log on, photoshop icon
    Win 8 = Boot, status screen, log on, scroll metro, photoshop icon, desktop mode.

For starters you have to go to your desktop mode after going through the log on hoops.

Metro also massively gets in the way when swapping around apps. The chop change can get really frustrating of your working hard.

There's also inconsistency between metro apps and desktop.

It's a horrid bolted together OS so stick with Windows 7 if you are wanting to do more than simple stuff like web browsing. If you want a tablet that can do more if needed then Windows 8 is more suited (but remember you are then doing photoshop work on a crappy 10" screen:D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's actually slower to get to those things compared to Windows 7.

Win 7 = Boot, log on, photoshop icon
    Win 8 = Boot, status screen, log on, scroll metro, photoshop icon, desktop mode.

Rubbish. You could just as easily put;

Win 7 = Boot, log on. start button, all programs, Adobe, Design Premium, Photoshop CS5

Win 8 = Boot, log on, Photoshop tile

See how easy it is to make things look bad if you skew the reality? Sure, Windows 7 is quick to get to a program if you've pinned it to the taskbar or stuck a link on the desktop. But its just as easy to stick a Photoshop tile at the beginning of the start menu and clicking that takes you straight to the desktop whilst launching the app.

You need to scroll the start screen just as much as you need to scroll through the start menu. ie. you only need to do that if the application is buried deep in the menu structure.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    its only £15 or £25 so its a very little cost, and it should make things a little faster, for that reason im in
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Another Windows 8 bashing thread .... Who needs it..?

I think we are all agreed, nobody needs W8. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Win 7 = Boot, log on. start button, all programs, Adobe, Design Premium, Photoshop CS5

See how easy it is to make things look bad if you skew the reality? Sure, Windows 7 is quick to get to a program if you've pinned it to the taskbar or stuck a link on the desktop. But its just as easy to stick a Photoshop tile at the beginning of the start menu and clicking that takes you straight to the desktop whilst launching the app.

You need to scroll the start screen just as much as you need to scroll through the start menu. ie. you only need to do that if the application is buried deep in the menu structure.

No Windows 8 still has Boot, Status screen, log on then tile. ... Even then the tile opens desktop mode whilst the program loads.

Metro then gets in the way if you go to start etc as the whole bloody interface pops up. You also end up working in two worlds very quickly as there is no consistency between metro and desktop versions of the same apps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    its only £15 or £25 so its a very little cost, and it should make things a little faster, for that reason im in

If you want things to run a little faster along with a chopped up and bolted together OS with poor UI and annoying hurdles then yeah.

If you have a desktop or laptop you are miles better with 7
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't understand why they put a touchscreen interface on a desktop machine, its nonsensical and its just getting peoples backs up.

Windows 8 should have been desktop, Metro should be a tablet only MMI.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like PCworld want everyone to buy a windows 8 machine. I had a phone call from a friend about 15 mins ago, they went down PC world to look at laptops as the one they have got have been playing up for a while,

Every laptop they got in store is windows 8, so my friend gave up, they don't want windows 8, so since I am not at work tomorrow we will look online instead or look at something like Argos or even Sainsburys as they got a few laptops.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats far too easy for the W8 bashers lol, if you look you'll see the same moaning whining names time after time bashing W8, droning on in their constant 'my mate said' modes lol, they all need to get out more :D
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    It seems like PCworld want everyone to buy a windows 8 machine. I had a phone call from a friend about 15 mins ago, they went down PC world to look at laptops as the one they have got have been playing up for a while,

Every laptop they got in store is windows 8, so my friend gave up, they don't want windows 8, so since I am not at work tomorrow we will look online instead or look at something like Argos or even Sainsburys as they got a few laptops.

I'm so glad my old laptop broke earlier this week, so I was able to buy one while Windows 7 ones were still available! If it had held on just a few more days, I'd have been stuck with shitty Windows 8!
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Thats far too easy for the W8 bashers lol, if you look you'll see the same moaning whining names time after time bashing W8, droning on in their constant 'my mate said' modes lol, they all need to get out more :D

Windows 8 is great, I love it and use it avery day now. But I never EVER use the Metro Start screen or the Charm thingies now (I tried them for a couple of weeks), that whole setup is just so clumsy and unnecessary on a desktop PC, but nice for kids or people who want to use just a few simple apps, I'd imagine.

It's designed for one main purpose: to suck you into more Microsoft online services and Microsoft Apps, and perhaps to entice people into buying Microsoft tablets. Well it didn't and won't work with me. At all. :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be getting Windows 8 for another 2 years yet. Maybe 3 years. Windows 7 is fine for me for a while yet.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Windows 8 is great, I love it and use it avery day now. But I never EVER use the Metro Start screen or the Charm thingies now (I tried them for a couple of weeks), that whole setup is just so clumsy and unnecessary on a desktop PC, but nice for kids or people who want to use just a few simple apps, I'd imagine.

It's designed for one main purpose: to suck you into more Microsoft online services and Microsoft Apps, and perhaps to entice people into buying Microsoft tablets. Well it didn't and won't work with me. At all. :D

Bit like me, only use Word, Excel, Corel Draw, Photoshop and other junk programmes on a regular basis:rolleyes:

I will buy a Surface Pro though, I want one and can afford it :cool:
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I won't be getting Windows 8 for another 2 years yet. Maybe 3 years. Windows 7 is fine for me for a while yet.

After watching Click this morning, I doubt i'll be getting it ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Windows 8 still has Boot, Status screen, log on then tile. ... Even then the tile opens desktop mode whilst the program loads.

Metro then gets in the way if you go to start etc as the whole bloody interface pops up. You also end up working in two worlds very quickly as there is no consistency between metro and desktop versions of the same apps.

Status screen is no different than having to press Ctrl-Alt-Del to log on, except it only requires a random keypress or click of the mouse. Then clicking a tile is no different than clicking an icon, only its bigger. So it has to load the desktop before it opens the application - its still only one click, as running a desktop app from the start screen automatically starts the desktop - and the time it takes the desktop to load is a fraction of a second, so don't try and make out like that's some significant increase in time taken. The reduced boot cycle easily makes up for any minor increase there.

I've been running Windows 8 since the developer preview, so that's well over a year of use. I'm an IT consultant and routinely use applications like Access, Photoshop, Visual Studio and spend half my time in a command prompt. It's perfectly fine for serious desktop use. In fact, the start screen's search is much faster than the start menu search in Windows 7, so I find launching obscure applications much faster, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In fact, the start screen's search is much faster than the start menu search in Windows 7, so I find launching obscure applications much faster, too.
    Disagree about the last bit. Just tried finding msconfig.exe and diskmgmt.msc in both, and if you can't remember the correct name, it's harder in Metro.

Typing 'Disk' and 'config' (the easy bits to remember) won't find either for example in Metro search, but Classic Start Menu search box (which I have installed) does find them, along with just about every other permutation you can find via Metro search.

For maximum flexibility now and in the future, you need to have both Metro and the old Start Menu available at the press of a button or click of a mouse. It is a major limitation and annoyance for MS not to have provided both - but I'm laughing as I have both. At no extra cost.

What could be better than combining the best of 7 and 8 in one simple package?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here you go ..

Use Ninite to give Windows 8 a classic Start menu
    Even better, Ninite just added Classic Start, which is the open-source Classic Shell program Lincoln Spector wrote about last month. It's a Start button/menu for Windows 8's Desktop mode, which, irritatingly, doesn't have one.

Never heard of Ninite? It works like this: You scroll through Ninite's categorized list of programs, check-marking the ones you want. The service offers the most current versions of nearly every popular mainstream program, including Firefox, Skype, OpenOffice, iTunes, Picasa, Steam, and personal favorite IrfanView.

Once you've made your picks, you simply click Get Installer to download a small executable file. When you're ready, run that file and sit back while Ninite goes to work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    I'm so glad my old laptop broke earlier this week, so I was able to buy one while Windows 7 ones were still available! If it had held on just a few more days, I'd have been stuck with shitty Windows 8!

i did tell them that they would need a new laptop a couple of months back, I thought they may have got one then. but as normal they waited until the last minute.
    i got a text this morning saying they are going to buy two laptops, one for them and the other for his wife so that she can access the net when he is.

I thought the days of one computer per household had gone.

Ebuyer still got some windows 7 machines. Argos have got some and in stock here if they want to get it local.
    I got a desktop here they can borrow if they want, let say it is a fair bit faster than their old laptop. But it got linux on it not windows, but it will get them on the net if we can't get a laptop from town.

i know they don't want to go for mad prices, about £300 each or less if they can.
    but no windows 8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Bit like me, only use Word, Excel, Corel Draw, Photoshop and other junk programmes on a regular basis:rolleyes:

I will buy a Surface Pro though, I want one and can afford it :cool:

I hope MS does a better job with the pro than they have with the surface.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of newspapers are running this story today, which originated at Associated Press:
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/poll-scant-demand-microsofts-windows-8

"The phone survey of nearly 1,200 adults in the U.S. found 52 percent hadn't even heard of Windows 8 leading up to Friday's release of the redesigned software. Among the people who knew something about the new operating system, 61 percent had little or no interest in buying a new laptop or desktop computer running on Windows 8, according to the poll. And only about a third of people who've heard about the new system believe it will be an improvement (35 percent)."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Disagree about the last bit. Just tried finding msconfig.exe and diskmgmt.msc in both, and if you can't remember the correct name, it's harder in Metro.

Typing 'Disk' and 'config' (the easy bits to remember) won't find either for example in Metro search, but Classic Start Menu search box (which I have installed) does find them, along with just about every other permutation you can find via Metro search.

For maximum flexibility now and in the future, you need to have both Metro and the old Start Menu available at the press of a button or click of a mouse. It is a major limitation and annoyance for MS not to have provided both - but I'm laughing as I have both. At no extra cost.

What could be better than combining the best of 7 and 8 in one simple package?

I just tried that search. Disk management does come up if you type in "disk," its just they've given it a simplified name. It comes up as "Create and format hard disk partitions."

That could be confusing for people who are used to the existing naming schemes, but will probably be a lot easier for novices to understand - though whether its a good thing for novices to easily find disk formatting utilities is another question entirely!!
  • Options
    Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I installed Windows 8 on my five year old laptop over the weekend.

In all honesty the upgrade was smooth, and the results as good as you can expect.

But I really think Windows 8 is perfect for people who have little to no experience with a PC. The metro interface is slick and simplistic. Some elderly relatives I have would love it.

However it's not for me, and I've reverted back to the original OS Windows Vista. At some point I'll make a permanent switch as £25 for an upgrade it was worth a try.

For the moment it's back to Windows Vista on my laptop and Windows 7 on my desktop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just tried that search. Disk management does come up if you type in "disk," its just they've given it a simplified name. It comes up as "Create and format hard disk partitions."

That could be confusing for people who are used to the existing naming schemes, but will probably be a lot easier for novices to understand - though whether its a good thing for novices to easily find disk formatting utilities is another question entirely!!

You said it's much faster though, and you (or someone) said you just start typing from the Start screen. Well that defaults to an Apps search and finds nothing (in the two examples I gave). You then have to click "Settings" only to be confronted with a list of 11 descriptions, none of which are what you were expecting and all of which are revealed by the 'Win 7' start button search in addition to diskmgmt.exe that you were looking for.

The search for 'config' I mentioned brings up 5 results on Metro 'apps', none of which are what you want, and 1 result under under 'files' but the wrong result (after the extra click). Under the third option (yet another click) 'settings' it lists 61 results, a full screenful of descriptions and frankly I didn't have the time or patience to study it so I've no idea if msconfig.exe is in there or not - it's unusable for someone with time constraints.

MS seem to have gone out of their way to make things difficult for experienced Windows users and by ignoring their existing userbase in that respect, they have messed up. Getting the Classic Shell add-on to allow familiar searching is absolutely essential IMO and for MS to omit it is ridiculous. The new search method is definitely not faster or simpler and for most experienced Windows users will be slower and irritating when looking for anything they are used to, other than straightforward Apps.

I still think we'll see MS add their own classic start button as an option in a future service pack, it's a no brainer (hopefully a 'boot to the desktop' option too but I'm less confident about that).