Options

D2 National test signal today

Comments

• Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm now getting the Sound Wave channel on 11A in Reigate, though signal strength is fairly low so it's almost certainly not coming from the Reigate transmitter itself. I'm picking it up on quite an old DAB radio so it's definitely not DAB+!

That's interesting because I'm getting a maximum signal level here at the top of a hill in the east of Crawley, so I assumed it was coming from Reigate. Perhaps therefore it is coming from Crystal Palace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boolian wrote: »
    Does anybody have the audio for Sound Waves / Waves?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFuoO50EPk8
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radamfi wrote: »

Is the signal only receivable in bathrooms ? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    Is the signal only receivable in bathrooms ? :D

That's the kitchen! :)
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still nothing here, although DAB reception seems p**s poor at the minute anyway. Possibly the atomspherics...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The test transmission stopped soon after I made the recording.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I heard it in Wirral today.

What time was that and how strong was the signal? same quality as BBC National DAB? If so it would have been Moel Y Parc you heard.

I tried at 1700 and it was not there.
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost certainly only from CP. Was very strong in Croydon and then dropped off a cliff as soon as I was south of the North Downs. Improving in pockets, especially on higher and exposed ground. Reigate definitely not on this afternoon.

Sound Waves (and the horrible low bit rate mess of watery crashing waves (sound akin to watching a sea-scape or sport on a super low bitrate Freeview channel)) is the only thing on the test at the moment and was definitely on air mid morning through past 17:15 or so when I stopped checking.

Interesting to hear how CP performs on its own. Not that well out of the M25 to the south.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,362
    Forum Member
    I'm picking it up on quite an old DAB radio so it's definitely not DAB+!
    There won't have been any DAB+ content on there yet.
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Still nothing here, although DAB reception seems p**s poor at the minute anyway. Possibly the atomspherics...
    The East Midlands will be to come.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not picked it up here in Essex.
    Though my signal on D1 has improved from before.
    Its not as stong as kent mux but has stooped braking up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    There won't have been any DAB+ content on there yet.

The East Midlands will be to come.

Do you know for sure if Derby is getting it?

Even if it is only at the same strength as D1 it should be usable 90 plus per cent of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swb1964 wrote: »
    Do you know for sure if Derby is getting it?
    You'll probably struggle without Copt Oak.
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not picked it up here in Essex.
    Though my signal on D1 has improved from before.
    Its not as stong as kent mux but has stooped braking up.

Wonder if you're benefitting from Kent now on at Benfleet (which only carries Kent and Essex) - might explain why it's now stronger than D1 for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    You'll probably struggle without Copt Oak.

:(

Not unexpected to be honest. It took *ages* for us to get local DAB, we must have been one of the last major cities to get it.

And (off topic) we were one of the last major cities to get commercial radio as well.
  • Options
    Jonathan1990Jonathan1990 Posts: 1,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing North Yorkshire will never get these tests especially if you live on the coast covered by Oliver's Mount or Which Business Park transmitters.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a proper list of transmitters yet?

I very much doubt it's related to this, but for the last few days the other DAB muxes on Caradon Hill (Cornwall) have been at quite low power - though the slightly useless BBC reception site often doesn't acknowledge it. I'm slightly hopeful that it's related to work to bringing D2 to it, but again, I doubt it

It says a lot that the only mux the DAB radio in the car is reliably picking up is the Plymouth local mux from a transmitter well over 20+ miles further away
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    Is there a proper list of transmitters yet?

I very much doubt it's related to this, but for the last few days the other DAB muxes on Caradon Hill (Cornwall) have been at quite low power - though the slightly useless BBC reception site often doesn't acknowledge it. I'm slightly hopeful that it's related to work to bringing D2 to it, but again, I doubt it
    The list posted up earlier is as good and sensible a guess as any. I think there are only around 3 sites that are slightly off, but insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So it's safe to say Cornwall won't be covered at launch.
    There are a few more tests going on right now if anyone's got a receiver to hand.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have still not heard D2 test ing at all. I live in Wirral and keep checking but no sign of any tests today.

According to that list - if it was a guess fine - but it does mean we will have poor coverage here even when all the transmitters are on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting the test signal again but weaker than yesterday. Is a different transmitter testing today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    radamfi wrote: »
    I'm getting the test signal again but weaker than yesterday. Is a different transmitter testing today?
    It'll be a different set today.
  • Options
    diodedavediodedave Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    I'm receiving SDL National 2 at 80Kbps on my Evoke 1 here in Stevenage, Herts. It breaks up intermittently. I had to take the radio upstairs.
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not heard test from Craigkelly as yet. I can also pick up a sort of weak DAB signal from Kirk O Shotts and have not heard anything from there also.

Darren
  • Options
    spannersspanners Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up the signal yesterday near Telford in Shropshire which is presumably the Wrekin Transmitter (which I couldn't see on the transmitter list higher up the threads)and I picked up the signal today from Divis.
  • Options
    derk weaselderk weasel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not noticed anything yet from morborne (peterborough)
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diodedave wrote: »
    I'm receiving SDL National 2 at 80Kbps on my Evoke 1 here in Stevenage, Herts. It breaks up intermittently. I had to take the radio upstairs.

Stevenage is not the best place for DAB anyway. The local mux and London III use Epping Green and D1 uses Brookmans Park, but SDL is not planning on using either of these sites so you are fringing on Sandy Heath & Zouches Farm.