Corrie star furious over BAFTA snub!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    glow_worm wrote: »
    I don't think she's being genuine to be honest.

She's not going to say we've been crap so don't deserve to be nominated. They do employ her after all. :D

But there was no need to be disrespectful about the BAFTA panel. She'd be singing from a different hymn sheet if Corrie was up!

I don't expect her to say that they don't deseve it, but there was no need to come out and say it at all.
  • glow_wormglow_worm Posts: 2,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluez Boy wrote: »
    I don't expect her to say that they don't deseve it, but there was no need to come out and say it at all.
    I agree, there was no need for her to even bring it up at all. Bad PR move. All she's doing is drawing yet more attention to the fact Corrie's been snubbed which is bad publicity for the show.
  • xmastellyxmastelly Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinky2006 wrote: »
    I've just watched the vid but couldn't hear anything :( Does anybody know whereabouts in the video it is? :)

I remember Linda Thorson (Rosemary,Emmerdale) seemed quite p*ssed that night, she was even on the sauce during the ceremony :eek:

i turned it up dead loud and i heard it, its a mans voice, must be one of the male actors, but it was very loosely said, what i mean is jokely said and then all the corrie starts laugh!! thats why william/ bill (whatever kens real name is) says no and corrects himself!!
  • xmastellyxmastelly Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I assume so. It looked to be someone standing directly behind him, and I think it was a man. The audience do gasp as well.

sounded like dev to me!
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xmastelly wrote: »
    sounded like dev to me!

That would not surprise me actually.
  • pinky2006pinky2006 Posts: 10,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just heard it, it's a male voice, but for once, it definitely does not sound like Antony Cotton :D It's around 2:26 but you have to listen really hard :D

I think 95% of the cast are gracious, it's just certain ones who let them down such as Antony Cotton, Jennie McAlpine and Kate Ford. Julie Hesmondhalgh (Hayley) reportedly slagged off Eastenders in 2004 after they beat Corrie to the Best Soap award at the BSA's. I was quite shocked :eek: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article167696.ece Here's the article :)

She does have a point as that year Corrie deserved the award but it was really badly made.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy B wrote: »
    I'm sorry but as a watcher of Corrie I personally feel that it has gone downhill and they don't really deserve a BAFTA atm.

I'm not really into Corrie, or any soaps, but I do dip in now and again if a story appeals to me. I find it quite good sometimes.

But for me, I think the main problem has been that they've just focused far too much on Liam, Carla, and the Kim Ryder character.
    Don't get me wrong, I like those characters, but for me it has felt as though there's been way too much emphasis on them and as though the makers have tried to make them into main characters too quickly.
    Suddenly they become the main characters at the expense of characters which were already there, and whom the viewers had already warmed to and identified with.

I think the Liam, Carla, and the Kim Ryder characters should maybe have been introduced more gradually instead of being forced onto us too suddenly as the main characters practically as soon as they arrived.
  • NorfolkBirdNorfolkBird Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would not surprise me actually.

He's a law unto himself :D
  • SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just heard it, it's a male voice, but for once, it definitely does not sound like Antony Cotton :D It's around 2:26 but you have to listen really hard :D

I think 95% of the cast are gracious, it's just certain ones who let them down such as Antony Cotton, Jennie McAlpine and Kate Ford. Julie Hesmondhalgh (Hayley) reportedly slagged off Eastenders in 2004 after they beat Corrie to the Best Soap award at the BSA's. I was quite shocked :eek: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article167696.ece Here's the article :)

She does have a point as that year Corrie deserved the award but it was really badly made.

Oh god, I cannot abide Kate Ford. The most overated soap actress ever, wooden and unconvincing. I am surprised at Julie Hesmondhalgh though. Nikki Sanderson was another one who always seemed disrepectiful and full of it.

On the other hand you have the likes of Bill Roache and Beverley Callard (Liz) who are always gracious about the other soaps. Bev actually once stated she wanted to do a Corrie/Eastenders crossover where Liz had a fling with Grant! What would Jim say about that?! :p;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god, I cannot abide Kate Ford. The most overated soap actress ever, wooden and unconvincing.

I totally agree, she was average at the very best, that scene where she told Charlie to hurry up and die was awful, how she won Best Actress, I'll never know :eek:

She had a face like a slapped arse on numerous occasions during the Soap Awards :D
  • glow_wormglow_worm Posts: 2,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree, she was average at the very best, that scene where she told Charlie to hurry up and die was awful, how she won Best Actress, I'll never know :eek:

She had a face like a slapped arse on numerous occasions during the Soap Awards :D
    I think she won best actress more because of the storyline with Charlie.

I found the murder to be very out of character for Tracy but it was entertaining and had people gripped. That's all they'll remember come voting time which was not long after. (It would need to be b'cos viewers tend to vote based on recent storylines) The acting doesn't come into it which explains a lot. :p

It does kind of defeat the point but I guess you just have to take the soap awards as a bit of fun (you hearing this Jennie?) and not look into them too seriously.
  • granadatvmangranadatvman Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theres no law that says corrie has to be nominated or win a bafta.

I don't have a hissy fit because I don't win the lottery jackpot and complain

They need to get over it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect that comes from Anthony Cotton. He has an appalling attitude, and by all account is difficult to work with. Alot of the older Corrie stars are more humble and down to earth.

Shame because Jennie McAlpine is actually a good actress.

Yeah,.....I accept what you're saying and I wouldn't want to tar all of them with the same brush because I would probably be wide of the mark.

But my thoughts about it possibly being an infectious attitude there which rubs off on each other stems from stories from years ago about older cast members who were very difficult and diva-ish. Pat Phoenix, Julie Goodyear, The Ivy Tilsley actress. What I mean is that it's not a new phenomenon and may of the newer cast members will probably pick up habits and ways of being from the already established 'stars'.

That's what I mean about it possibly being kind of like an institutionalised manner of behaviour that possibly kind of rubs off on each other. Some of them, obviously, not all of them.

I remember something quite recently where Bill Tarmey was implying that he found it very difficult to work with Julie Goodyear and that he wasn't that keen on how she treated some of the new younger actors who arrived on the Street.
    So obviously that would imply to me that Bill Tarmey is possibly alright, so it wouldn't be all of them acting like divas.

I've heard stories about bad behaviour from Corrie stars for many years now, which is why I kind of wonder if there's certain ways of doing things there that have become institutionalised and get passed on to newer actors.
    I just haven't really been aware of this kind of thing with other TV shows from news reports or anything. Or maybe it's just that other shows are better at hiding things and are better at PR?

Just reading my own post here it kind of sounds really bad when I say 'institutionalised',.... as though it's a major problem that seriously needs to be investigated. :D I assure you that I don't mean it to sound as bad as I may be making it sound. It's just more that I find it intriguing that Corrie has a history of it's actors really playing up, being up their own arse, believing their hype, and being stroppy about something. There's even been TV documentaries made which highlight how problematic certain past Corrie stars have been over the years.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluez Boy wrote: »
    The thing is, they don't seem to realise why they're not being nominated or winning awards. The insiders or sources and people like Fiz (forgot the actress's name already) are putting it down to the panel being mental. Why can't they just realise that it's down to the soap not being good enough at the moment?

There's a bit of an irony to it as well, at least I think it's irony,....in that if she's critical of the BAFTAS....then why does she want to win one?:D

If you want to win a BAFTA because you respect it as an institution, then you accept and respect their decision.

If you want to win one, but don't, and are then critical of the BAFTAS, then it implies that you just wanted to win it for the sake of winning it, so that you can show off to others that you won it, and didn't really respect the specific award in the first place.

If you truly valued the BAFTAS then you wouldn't be criticising them if you didn't win one or weren't nominated for one.
    If you just want to win one for the sake of winning one then what the award represents is actually meaningless to you and is just more of a material item to you.
  • A CillayA Cillay Posts: 8,215
    Forum Member
    I've just compiled a few statements from Corrie cast members over the years:

"I think its a disgrace, We've been brilliant this year and we deserved to win. They have lost so many viewers I can't understand why it won." - Andy Whyment (Inside Soap Awards 2004)

"We've had some great storylines and we've really tried hard," "We are right up there at the moment and I'm really surprised at the result." - Suranne Jones (Inside Soap Awards 2004)

“We were robbed. We are miles better than EastEnders. We are. That is just the way it is." - Julie Hesmondhalgh (British Soap Awards 2004) (:eek:)

"I can't believe it. I actually can't understand it. These panel of experts... I think it's silly." - (Jenny McAlpine) BAFTAs 2008)

"That was ridiculous. I can’t be doing with hospital dramas. They make me sick." - (Jenny McAlpine BAFTAs 2007)

Who is feeding these peoples egos? The new boss needs to bring these people back down to Earth. :eek: :cool:

Sources can be provided if needed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Cillay wrote: »
    I've just compiled a few statements from Corrie cast members over the years:

"I think its a disgrace, We've been brilliant this year and we deserved to win. They have lost so many viewers I can't understand why it won." - Andy Whyment (Inside Soap Awards 2004)

"We've had some great storylines and we've really tried hard," "We are right up there at the moment and I'm really surprised at the result." - Suranne Jones (Inside Soap Awards 2004)

“We were robbed. We are miles better than EastEnders. We are. That is just the way it is." - Julie Hesmondhalgh (British Soap Awards 2004) (:eek:)

"I can't believe it. I actually can't understand it. These panel of experts... I think it's silly." - (Jenny McAlpine) BAFTAs 2008)

"That was ridiculous. I can’t be doing with hospital dramas. They make me sick." - (Jenny McAlpine BAFTAs 2007)

Who is feeding these peoples egos? The new boss needs to bring these people back down to Earth. :eek: :cool:

Sources can be provided if needed.

Suranne Jones didn't sound like she was slagging anybody off, she just said she was surprised at the result and that Corrie had some great storylines at the time, which they did :) The others do have a bad case of sour grapes though :cool:

I am a fan of both Corrie and Eastenders and at times, I think Corrie has been better than Eastenders and vica versa. I'm also a fan of Emmerdale and Hollyoaks.

Last year Corrie didn't deserve half the awards they won at the BSAs and they definitely didn't deserve Best Soap. In fact Emmerdale and Hollyoaks were the better two during 2006.

But, I think Corrie deserved the awards more than EE in 2004.
    Forum Member
    I would like to see when they got up to take the award and had to sit back down however I did laugh at the "You're rubbish" statement it wasnt to cause offense to EE or the others but it was ironic as EE had been dire that whole year and deservedly lost out it was in bad taste at the worst.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm furious with the abissmal acting "fiz" does on screen - all we have laterly is "oh chesney" and "pint of lager" and "i'm off to frigging frescos". lets face it last year and so far this aint been good for CS - agree with what other people are saying - too much liam and carla, too much david and the hamster (soz gail) and way too much lady cotton who seems to be getting over losing his baby very easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm furious with the abissmal acting "fiz" does on screen - all we have laterly is "oh chesney" and "pint of lager" and "i'm off to frigging frescos". lets face it last year and so far this aint been good for CS - agree with what other people are saying - too much liam and carla, too much david and the hamster (soz gail) and way too much lady cotton who seems to be getting over losing his baby very easily.

I keep thinking this. You usually see a character in depression for a few days after something bad has happened (look at Laurel in Emmerdale, she's only just recovering) but Sean is back to normal 3 days after the incident.
  • Merry HappyMerry Happy Posts: 8,228
    Forum Member
    Whats wrong with her voicing her opinion? Big deal she got a little article written about her in some tabloid over it, hardly going to harm her getting a little publicity while her storyline is currently playing out on the show.
  • Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member

I remember as well when Corrie beat Eastenders to a best soap award and as part of the acceptance speach Julie Hesmondhalgh said ' Oh free Matthew Rose' (as that storyline was on at the time) in a really mocking tone. I thought she was an idiot.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To omit the UK's number 1 soap was a very strange decision IMO:confused:
  • Steady40Steady40 Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

The baftas don't really tend to judge on popularity
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmsradx wrote: »
    You can't blame people for wanting their work to be appreciated.
    When their work is good - then they can complain.
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

The BAFTA panel is not influenced by ratings, their critics.