But simon we DON'T want to see katie perform again next week

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    iain wrote: »
    i guess.

in which case i'm not sure what your point is, other than that not everyone thinks the same as you.

which hardly seems worth pointing out.

Iain :p

just a point i wanted to make, for like minded people to comment on!

its a public forum and surely we are allowed to discuss what we want, wether other people think its pointless or not? if no one was interested, fair enough, but clearly it has been a talking point.
  • newbabynewbaby Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of the problem, and this, of course, is suppositon, is that it appears that Katie is being snuggled beneath the secure wings of the production company and that she is going along with it and/or thinks she is strong enough to shoulder the Machiavellian machinations being used to keep her in the competition. However this being is done, it's a tactic of immense cynicism by the production team and does not produce a level playing field for her as a contestant or for the people who pick up the phone to vote for anyone.

Manipulation, cynicism, money-grabbing, headline-seeking: just a few of the descriptions that have occurred to me regarding what they - the producers - believe is the mega-power and attraction of X Factor. But the show is becoming a freak show, with too much emphasis on those whose attraction to the public would be tiny in the long term, but in the short term generate publicity.

If she - or, to be even-handed, any of the contestants - had the most immense talent enveloped in a damaged persona (I'm thinking of a 2010 Judy Garland), then one would be in turn wowed by a wonderful voice/unusual personality and then saddened that a truly great voice and stage presence had become a puppet, with demons within and Money Men pulling the strings. But this is no 2010 Judy Garland. Just a girl who's got embroiled in a situation for which she's not equipped.

Last night's display seemed to indicate, in the way in which she did (I cannot bring myself to say she sang it) her survival performance, there was complicity (how else do camera angles happen?) and that it was not a spontaneous meltdown: do that and you wouldn't even be able to think sod it, much less singy-say it. It wasn't clever or heart-rending, and should have been remarked upon with a immediate red card.

She's become part of a game that's out of her league. Her mentor doesn't come out of the whole debacle awfully well, but one doesn't know how much the judges are allowed to behave as individuals rather than being a part of the whole.

If she is so vulnerable and emotionally fragile, I hope that Katie will p'haps be persuaded by her family to bow out in a gracious, dignified way, or that the production team has the wit to take the decision out of her hands (after all, they keep saying that they take the "duty of care" to contestants very seriously). Then the competition might be able to claw back some degree of credibility.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missrae wrote: »
    just a point i wanted to make, for like minded people to comment on!

its a public forum and surely we are allowed to discuss what we want, wether other people think its pointless or not? if no one was interested, fair enough, but clearly it has been a talking point.

sure - but Simon's argument was hardly ridiculous just because you didn't agree with it!

Iain :[
    Forum Member
    sure - but Simon's argument was hardly ridiculous just because you didn't agree with it!

Iain :[

well i thought it was :p which is why i mentioned it, and a few people agree!
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    missrae wrote: »
    well i thought it was :p which is why i mentioned it, and a few people agree!

and a few people disagree :)
    Forum Member
    newbaby wrote: »
    Part of the problem, and this, of course, is suppositon, is that it appears that Katie is being snuggled beneath the secure wings of the production company and that she is going along with it and/or thinks she is strong enough to shoulder the Machiavellian machinations being used to keep her in the competition. However this being is done, it's a tactic of immense cynicism by the production team and does not produce a level playing field for her as a contestant or for the people who pick up the phone to vote for anyone.

Manipulation, cynicism, money-grabbing, headline-seeking: just a few of the descriptions that have occurred to me regarding what they - the producers - believe is the mega-power and attraction of X Factor. But the show is becoming a freak show, with too much emphasis on those whose attraction to the public would be tiny in the long term, but in the short term generate publicity.

If she - or, to be even-handed, any of the contestants - had the most immense talent enveloped in a damaged persona (I'm thinking of a 2010 Judy Garland), then one would be in turn wowed by a wonderful voice/unusual personality and then saddened that a truly great voice and stage presence had become a puppet, with demons within and Money Men pulling the strings. But this is no 2010 Judy Garland. Just a girl who's got embroiled in a situation for which she's not equipped.

Last night's display seemed to indicate, in the way in which she did (I cannot bring myself to say she sang it) her survival performance, there was complicity (how else do camera angles happen?) and that it was not a spontaneous meltdown: do that and you wouldn't even be able to think sod it, much less singy-say it. It wasn't clever or heart-rending, and should have been remarked upon with a immediate red card.

She's become part of a game that's out of her league. Her mentor doesn't come out of the whole debacle awfully well, but one doesn't know how much the judges are allowed to behave as individuals rather than being a part of the whole.

If she is so vulnerable and emotionally fragile, I hope that Katie will p'haps be persuaded by her family to bow out in a gracious, dignified way, or that the production team has the wit to take the decision out of her hands (after all, they keep saying that they take the "duty of care" to contestants very seriously). Then the competition might be able to claw back some degree of credibility.

good point well made!
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    who is the 'we' you refer to?

i'd rather see Katie than Treyc next week, mainly because i agree with what Simon said about her being the more interesting performer.

being in the bottom two doesn't really tell us much except that she's not the favourite of most people. it doesn't tell us she's most people's least favourite though.

Iain

Iain , why do you sign all your posts?

ForGodsSake
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    initially for the same reason that people sign letters and emails.

but these days mainly just to annoy people who are easily annoyed.

Iain :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    newbaby wrote: »

Are you joking:confused::confused: Katie is none of those things, she knows what she wants and whether she does well out of X Factor (I'm betting she will) or not, she will keep trying, it will just make her stronger............There are what I call "emotionally fragile" people in the show, the people who the judges fawn over each week, they are the contestants who will need help after the programme if they don't get as much out of the show as they are now expecting.
  • Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, not interested in hearing Katie again.

Both fell behind most of the others as far as demonstrating performance skills and ability , but the difference between TreyC and Katie is that TreyC has considerable if misdirected vocal talent , whereas Katie would not stand out even at a karaoke bar,and I am as bored by her 'personality-oke' as by her pitiful vocals.

Watching Katie chase fame is like watching someone heartbrokenly chase someone who obviously isn't and never will be interested in them, unable to accept or believe that it's just not gonna happen.

Enough already.Put her outof our misery,please.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jak14 wrote: »
    Are you joking:confused::confused: Katie is none of those things, she knows what she wants and whether she does well out of X Factor (I'm betting she will) or not, she will keep trying, it will just make her stronger............There are what I call "emotionally fragile" people in the show, the people who the judges fawn over each week, they are the contestants who will need help after the programme if they don't get as much out of the show as they are now expecting.

I did say "if....". I never imagined what I thought was an even-handed post would result in a response with emoticons telling me I was confused.

I shall retire to the Land of Lurkdom.
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    Yeah that really annoyed me aswell. Obvious the vast majority of the public don't want to see her again, the votes say it all!

It makes voting at all a bit of a sick joke :mad:
    In fact its' like Simon saying "Screw the public!".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry...double post.