Grand Hotel - Sky Arts 2

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this but was a bit gobsmacked by all the cliffhanger endings and unfinished businesses!! Didn't know that there would be a second series so really hope that Sky will pick it up- otherwise will be left in the lurch ... forever! :eek::eek::eek:

Love all the Eurodrama that is on TV at present.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For people who like Euro drama, the French series Maison Close is being repeated at the moment on Sky Arts 1. It's set in a brothel, not quite the Grand Hotel :D What with Borgen on BBC4, Romanzo Criminale and French comedy Hard (both Sky Arts1), there are a few good subtitled shows at the moment.
    Thanks for the heads up, it sounds good!

Me and my flatmate caught an episode of Grand Hotel over the Christmas period very late one night, it has us intrigued, so we recorded all the episodes since. I was sitting in the wrong place though because my Bose iPod dock was in the way of the subtitles, so my flatmate had to keep updating me on the story :o
  • StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    Well,having stuck with this throughout,I can't help feeling a bit unsatisfied with the ending.

Overall I enjoyed the series and would very probably watch a second series if it came to pass,if only to attend to those loose ends.

I don't know how they'd have driven the plot along were it not for the most frequently audible conversations in corridors I've ever seen :D.

I thought the Benjamin business was ridiculous (unless I've missed something) and I want to avoid spoilers in case others have recorded this,so I'll leave it there for now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just had a look at comments on sky arts site and they say season2 of Grand Hotel will be shown later this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    StaxVolt wrote: »
    Well,having stuck with this throughout,I can't help feeling a bit unsatisfied with the ending.

Overall I enjoyed the series and would very probably watch a second series if it came to pass,if only to attend to those loose ends.

I don't know how they'd have driven the plot along were it not for the most frequently audible conversations in corridors I've ever seen :D.

I thought the Benjamin business was ridiculous (unless I've missed something) and I want to avoid spoilers in case others have recorded this,so I'll leave it there for now.

I agree the cliffhangers they crowbarred into the final episode were a bit silly but the whole things a bit silly and that's part of it's charm. On the whole I thought the season 1 finale was a corker though.

Big fan of this series, and to think I only started watching it because I'm learning Spanish, which it has helped with a lot.

It's like Downton Abbey crossed with Return To Eden but with better acting. Looking forward to season 2. Plus Season 3 is coming soon in Spain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Is there ping to be a rerun? Missed it, but wished I hadn't
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there ping to be a rerun? Missed it, but wished I hadn't

Only the last 4 episodes of season 1 are on Sky anytime. The season 1 box set is on Amazon. They might repeat it, knowing how Sky Arts are with repeating stuff it's pretty likely.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Finally caught up with the last four episodes last night, five hours of Spanish melodrama is my idea of heaven. I fell in love with the show half an hour into the first episode, it's soapy, it's ridiculous, and more importantly it knows it and embraces it. It packs more into an episode than Downton does in a series but it never feels rushed. Although it started off as "Spanish Downton" I think a better comparison would be with Revenge.

I love all the characters, even Dona Teresa and Diego, except Belen she has no depth like the other "villains" she's just annoying. Also if she leaves Andres to die, not that they will dare kill him off, then she's beyond any kind of redemption. Regarding that, I get the feeling that it was his mother who tried to kill Andres, but I'm not entirely sure why.

I've scoured the internet for a way to watch series 2, I got close but could not find english subtitles, I'm now considering learning spanish. :p I just hope Sky Arts 2 don't wait to November to show it, they've just started the third series in Spain and it looks like a fourth is planned so there's plenty more to come.

I already know how I want it do end :o Andres, Belen-free, owning the hotel with Julio as manager, who's of course married to Alicia. Although part of me thinks the show will just keep throwing cliffhangers at the end of series until it's cancelled without a proper conclusion.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,019
    Forum Member
    Finally caught up with the last four episodes last night, five hours of Spanish melodrama is my idea of heaven. I fell in love with the show half an hour into the first episode, it's soapy, it's ridiculous, and more importantly it knows it and embraces it. It packs more into an episode than Downton does in a series but it never feels rushed. Although it started off as "Spanish Downton" I think a better comparison would be with Revenge.

I love all the characters, even Dona Teresa and Diego, except Belen she has no depth like the other "villains" she's just annoying. Also if she leaves Andres to die, not that they will dare kill him off, then she's beyond any kind of redemption. Regarding that, I get the feeling that it was his mother who tried to kill Andres, but I'm not entirely sure why.

I've scoured the internet for a way to watch series 2, I got close but could not find english subtitles, I'm now considering learning spanish. :p I just hope Sky Arts 2 don't wait to November to show it, they've just started the third series in Spain and it looks like a fourth is planned so there's plenty more to come.

I already know how I want it do end :o Andres, Belen-free, owning the hotel with Julio as manager, who's of course married to Alicia. Although part of me thinks the show will just keep throwing cliffhangers at the end of series until it's cancelled without a proper conclusion.

I really want to know what happens in series 2! They finished the series with so many different cliffhangers it's unreal :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely you don't think doña Angela tried to kill Andres??? I can't see that happening at all.

I agree though, it's more like Revenge than Downton, but even more like Return To Eden with its knowing it's own daftness. It's great writing, direction and acting means they can literally get away with murder though!
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    crowby1 wrote: »
    Surely you don't think doña Angela tried to kill Andres??? I can't see that happening at all.

I agree though, it's more like Revenge than Downton, but even more like Return To Eden with its knowing it's own daftness. It's great writing, direction and acting means they can literally get away with murder though!

It was just a feeling I got when watching, although the more I think about it the less likely it seemed. :o They seemed to show everyone who would benefit from his death elsewhere, so my mind went to a rather out there choice.
  • pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit behind with this, but I've only just watched the last episode.
    It was just a feeling I got when watching, although the more I think about it the less likely it seemed. :o They seemed to show everyone who would benefit from his death elsewhere, so my mind went to a rather out there choice.

I thought this too. :confused: But I can't see what her motives would be. She'd be better off bumping off Belen!

I guessed it was Don Benjamin. He had such easy access to the knives, and was the only other key male character!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pelicano wrote: »
    I'm a bit behind with this, but I've only just watched the last episode.

I thought this too. :confused: But I can't see what her motives would be. She'd be better off bumping off Belen!

I guessed it was Don Benjamin. He had such easy access to the knives, and was the only other key male character!

I didn't see it coming. I was expecting Benjamin to be quite a sympathetic character! It was a good curve ball by the writers I thought though.
    Forum Member
    Thinking about it, did we see Theresa in the wedding scene? I remember seeing Sofia and Javier quite clearly, and obviously Diego and Alicia, but I'm not sure about Alfredo and I don't think Theresa was shown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pelicano wrote: »
    Thinking about it, did we see Theresa in the wedding scene? I remember seeing Sofia and Javier quite clearly, and obviously Diego and Alicia, but I'm not sure about Alfredo and I don't think Theresa was shown.

Here you go...

http://s54.beta.photobucket.com/user/psychrosis/media/Grand%20Hotel/vlcsnap-2013-02-02-17h26m07s21.png.html

They (Theresa and Alfredo) were both there. I just took a screen capture from the wedding scene :)

They are seen in the congregation throughout the scene.
    Forum Member
    Oh thanks! :) So it has to be someone 'below stairs'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just found season 2 - dvd boxset is on El Court Ingles website for a mere 15 Euros (+ Amazon.es for about 19.00), one small catch. No english subtitles. I don't think my Spanish is quite at the point where I can manage without them(!)
    Forum Member
    Mine neither. That is quite a catch! :D
  • GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,812
    Forum Member
    For those of us who have enjoyed 'Gran Hotel' there is a Portugese series starting on Sky Arts 1 on Tuesday 11 February at 9 pm called 'Mysteries of Lisbon.' Each episode is an hour long and it's in 6 parts. Looking at the trailer I think it has potential.

I do hope posters spot this in time, but no doubt Sky Arts 1 will run a repeat in its schedule each week.
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillypoots wrote: »
    For those of us who have enjoyed 'Gran Hotel' there is a Portugese series starting on Sky Arts 1 on Tuesday 11 February at 9 pm called 'Mysteries of Lisbon.' Each episode is an hour long and it's in 6 parts. Looking at the trailer I think it has potential.

I do hope posters spot this in time, but no doubt Sky Arts 1 will run a repeat in its schedule each week.

Didn't get a particularly good review on Radio 4. Apparently the first episode is extremely slow, so may need perseverance :D
    Forum Member
    Gillypoots wrote: »

I started a thread on it a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure how to put the link to it on here:o
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up. :) I'll have a look.
    Forum Member
    For anyone who missed this the first time, Sky Arts 1 is repeating the whole series again starting tonight at 7.30. Don't read some of the posts above if you don't want to know some of what happens!!
  • j'aimelatelej'aimelatele Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just starting watching episode 1....looks good so far...help me brush on my spanish too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just starting watching episode 1....looks good so far...help me brush on my spanish too!

Adelante!

You're in for a treat :)