Radio Hallam - 40 years old today!

xtralargeanorakxtralargeanorak Posts: 287
Forum Member
I can't believe the morning's passed by without a mention! Whether or not you like the present day Hallam FM, at least they acknowledged Radio Hallam's anniversary by playing a good selection of jingles and Barry White's number one, and an excerpt of Johnny Moran launching the station! Where is Johnny these days? I didn't hear Squadron Leader Keith Skues' name mentioned - he was a key player! Happy anniversary everyone wherever you may be!

Comments

• wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, Invicta would have been thirty years old today!
  • DaveNightingaleDaveNightingale Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    This might jog a few memories...

https://soundcloud.com/davenightingale/this-is-hallamland

Enjoy.. :)
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Finlay was the first one I heard in 1988 he played Deacon Blue "Real Gone Kid" and Gloria Estefan "1-2-3".

Was hooked after the first listen, other greats including the late great Dave Kilner and Gerry Kersey who is still going right through to Daryll Denham's late night x rated show.

I still have tapes of Hallam Jingles in a cupboard.

"Go Go Radio Hallam.."

"The Music People..."

Radio Hallam and Hallam FM have gloriously served the county well for 40 years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I used to listen to Radio Hallam / Hallam FM

Have memories of Ray Stuart, Gerry Kersey, Tim Finlay, Howard Pressman, Chris Rodgers, Daryl Denham, Emma Scott, Brett Harley, Simon Hirst and Alan Biggs

Stopped listening regular when Big John took over breakfast.

Tried listening again, but DJ's sound bored, take Steve White for instance brilliant on Radio Sheffield, but not so good on Hallam.

Local Radio, needs to be local, this is what made our local station, once great.

Will Hallam still be around in another 40 years, it will be a shame if its not, but doubt it.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe the morning's passed by without a mention! Whether or not you like the present day Hallam FM, at least they acknowledged Radio Hallam's anniversary by playing a good selection of jingles and Barry White's number one, and an excerpt of Johnny Moran launching the station! Where is Johnny these days? I didn't hear Squadron Leader Keith Skues' name mentioned - he was a key player! Happy anniversary everyone wherever you may be!

Cardboard Shoes is now on BBC local radio in East Anglia

Johnny Moran is believed to have died some years ago
    Forum Member
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/bigdave1/10698618_10152796412069532_1123906940734702865_n_zpsb80113f8.jpg

Over 120 ex-employees - the percentage from the period 1974-1986 - met in Sheffield on Friday to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of Radio Hallam.Thanks to a family connection (my dad was a sports journalist at the stationfor 6 years between 1978-84), I was in attendance.

The celebration at the Copthorne Hotel, saw such names as Keith Skues, Ralph Bernard, Ian Rufus, Jayne Irving, Johnny Moran (who thanks to fellow presenter,Frank Carpenter, had been tracked down especially for the event) and many more back in the same room together - some for the first time in more than 30 years.

The station began life on the 1st October 1974, as the fifth Independent Local Radio Station to launch, following LBC,Capital, Clyde, and Metro. Plans are now afoot for those staff who worked from 1986 onwards to arrange a similar event.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The station began life on the 1st October 1974, as the fifth Independent Local Radio Station to launch, following LBC,Capital, Clyde, and Metro.

8th to open (Swansea Sound beat them to air by a day !)

LBC, Capital, Clyde, BRMB, Piccadilly, Metro, Swansea, Hallam
    Forum Member
    Apologies...of course, its 8!

I wrote that earlier this morning, so obviously the caffeine hadn't kicked in.:)
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame Dave Kilner will not be with us to attend the 1986 reunion.

Arguably Hallam's premier presenter at the turn of the 90's
  • mmmmmmagicmmmmmmagic Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    What a lovely bloke DK was. A real loss.
  • jaybsjaybs Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the opening was before then? as I trained at Clyde and then went down to Hallam prior to 194 Radio City opening on the 21st October 1974.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    This might jog a few memories...

https://soundcloud.com/davenightingale/this-is-hallamland

Enjoy.. :)

Interesting. I followed the development of ILR outside London "in print" so have never heard the Hallam sound before. A happy 40th anniversary to all listeners and participants at that time.