Sports you never see on TV now

13»

Comments

• doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    Not sure that's true- there seems to be a lot of football on the TV.

I don't know if you're joking but the English Premiership is financially the biggest league in the world. England do relatively well at football.

Football will be the number one sport around the world for the foreseeable future, I was talking in terms of minor sports.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    I don't know if you're joking but the English Premiership is financially the biggest league in the world. England do relatively well at football.

Yes, I'm taking the piss out of the national team. A privelige normally reserved for foreign national teams.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    In 1966 among sports covered by ITV were:

Ten pin bowling
    Motor racing from Silverstone
    Show jumping rom Hickstead
    Ice skating
    Motor cycle scramble
    Wrestling
    Rugby union

Most of the regions had their own local sports programmes at least once a week

I'm pretty sure that Hickstead show jumping and motor cycle scrambling were BBC sports. Similarly rugby union, far too elitist back then for ITV. Motor racing was unlikely to be on ITV either.

I remember them showing ten pin bowling though. Eurosport still show it.

Back then ITV were struggling to get any kind of sport to show (apart from wrestling) the BBC had a virtual monopoly. To compete with Grandstand ITV created World of Sport so they could show things like "Cliff Diving from Acapulco". They had surfing on too.

Other sports you don't see any more include car trials and a strange annual event involving various different off road vehicles racing cross country.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Baseball
    Still well covered on ESPN.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did anyone say sumo wrestling? I used to enjoy watching the sumo tournaments on Channel 4.
  • roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw a clip on a cable channel a few years back of motorbike and sidecar scrambling !!!! I mean a trial bike with a guy standing on a sidecar attached to it going over jumps, I think most had a death wish !!!!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    allafix wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that Hickstead show jumping and motor cycle scrambling were BBC sports. Similarly rugby union, far too elitist back then for ITV. Motor racing was unlikely to be on ITV either.

Back then ITV were struggling to get any kind of sport to show (apart from wrestling) the BBC had a virtual monopoly. To compete with Grandstand ITV created World of Sport so they could show things like "Cliff Diving from Acapulco". They had surfing on too.

Other sports you don't see any more include car trials and a strange annual event involving various different off road vehicles racing cross country.

A few on here must remember BBC's Kickstart, Trails program with Peter Purvis, it's been mentioned I'm sure.
    BIB I can only think of the Paris Dakar that's an annual event with different vehicles.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about netball?
  • Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    As someone else has said I think there are satellite options for watching NHL. I know NBA have a league pass subscription to watch every game online and I'd be surprised if NHL didn't do something similar. Have you looked into this?

You should give the other three major American sports a try. I'm a huge NBA fan and I'm gradually getting into the other three. The time difference makes things very difficult though.

Well yes I think there is a streaming service thingy called NHL Gamecenter (In fact some of the illegal stream are clearly directly from that. :D )

2 hours to go before tonight's Washington Capitals game tonight.

I did try American Football once but that seemed to have more stoppages than Hockey! It was all run about for 15 seconds and then nothing for years. Blink at the wrong time and you missed the bit you were meant to be watching. Plus the rules are straight out of Numberwang! :D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sumo. I remember watching it as a kid on Trans World Sport, haven't seen it on Tv for years.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Sumo. I remember watching it as a kid on Trans World Sport, haven't seen it on Tv for years.

Wish someone would put it back on Terrestrial TV, it's not as if Sky or anyone else wants it, can't imagine the footage is expensive for broadcasters outside of Japan.
    Edit suite and an interested voice over artist, not Brian Blessed as much as I like him, he did nothing for Sumo on Channel Four IMO.

It's suffered from a match fixing scandal too apparently, so the sport could do with some outside help/exposure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes I think there is a streaming service thingy called NHL Gamecenter (In fact some of the illegal stream are clearly directly from that. :D )

2 hours to go before tonight's Washington Capitals game tonight.

I did try American Football once but that seemed to have more stoppages than Hockey! It was all run about for 15 seconds and then nothing for years. Blink at the wrong time and you missed the bit you were meant to be watching. Plus the rules are straight out of Numberwang! :D

So you don't HAVE to watch it through an illegal stream then.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The good sports are mostly shown although something I've realised lately is that sport coverage is skewed rather towards sports Britain do well in which is a bit sad really. I don't think tennis gets the coverage it deserves, for me it's one of the best sports around - certainly the sport that has been played to the highest standard over the past few years.

On the flip side, rugby union can disappear as far as I'm concerned, absolute nonsense of a sport.

So because you don't like it, it shouldn't be shown? How ridiculous.

The problem in this country is that every other sport comes a very distant second to football.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a few years back when sky had a wrestling channel and i used to love ROH but since they got rid of the channel they dont show it in the UK
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »

The ITV sports I listed were from the 1967 ITV Handbook.It may be, of course, they shared some of them with the BBC, they certainly shared Wimbledon for a few years.A few ITV sports from the 1963 Handbook:

Motor cycle scrambling from Wakefield
    Amateur boxing from Bishop Auckland
    Upton horse trials
    Royal Windsor Horse Show
    Cricket: Sussex v Pakistan
    Polo from Windsor Great Park (an unlikely ITV sport)
    International Boys' Golf from Richmond
    Indoor tennis from Wembley

Plus other regional sports coverage not networked
  • AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see more programmes featuring BMX. Over the years we've had BMX Beat which showed freestyle BMX competitions and the Kelloggs BMX Championship which showed racing, but you rarely see any BMX other than on the Extreme channel.

i'd love to see Kickstart back showing trials biking, and MTB trials would be good to watch too.
  • C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Baseball

Rounders
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So because you don't like it, it shouldn't be shown? How ridiculous.

Not what I said at all.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish someone would put it back on Terrestrial TV, it's not as if Sky or anyone else wants it, can't imagine the footage is expensive for broadcasters outside of Japan.
    Edit suite and an interested voice over artist, not Brian Blessed as much as I like him, he did nothing for Sumo on Channel Four IMO.

It's suffered from a match fixing scandal too apparently, so the sport could do with some outside help/exposure.

C4 lost sumo because the Japanese organisers and NHK, the rights holder, felt it was not being treated seriously and portrayed as two fat men bumping into each other. It is, of course, far more than that.......